Trouba Requests Trade - Part VI: To Russia For Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I still don't see how the numbers ever work out in Trouba's favor - especially if the Jets are (or were) actually offering $5.5M x 6.

If he actually misses a year, he's out millions - not just the $5.5M this year, but over his entire career. He adds a year to get to UFA, and he lowers his next contract value. Say it's a $3M x 2 year bridge starting in 2017-18. He's cost himself $10.5M just over the next 3 years, plus one less year of UFA (probably worth another $8M-$10M).

His only hope is to force a trade - and if Chevy's not willing to deal him, then he has to sign here before December 1. Otherwise he's shooting himself in the foot with a bazooka.

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
Panic mode turned ON ?

Not really, i think for a good enough goalie that would be the best for the jets, a young team dont really lose that much missing out on a 10th pick or someting, one draft in exchange for trading a player who doesnt play for an elite goalie.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
This. Too bad he can't kick KO to the curb and get some good advice.

Maybe he needs to create an app to give him sound guidance. :sarcasm:

just like misery loves company, so does stupidity.

people who cut off their noses to spite their face probably seek advice from people who would do the same.

a good analogy's that Lord of the Rings movie where the king's in that coma-like stupor and has Wormtongue whispering (bad) advice in his ear. Trouba likely sees dollar signs or has been told that he has power (when he does not) and is getting bad advice after bad advice.

i tell my wife that some people tell lies to try to strengthen their initial lie. they just end up digging a deeper hole that becomes more difficult to emerge out of. same thing when you're bull headed. you stick to your guns when you really shouldn't and you're just damning yourself. unions do this. bad poker players do this. and, in the end, Trouba and his agent will most likely end up looking like really bad poker players

Nov 24, 2006
Trouba+2017 first round pick for an elite goalie.

Panic mode turned ON ?

Yep.

Panic-button.jpg

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
What good is a elite goalie, if you have no defence in front of him.

Hopefully there will be 6 D available...

And to answer your question, yes an elite goalie is good to have, i know it´s outlandish to think that somehow...

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Trouba+2017 first round pick for an elite goalie.

i'd argue that NHL goalies that aren't named Price have an incredibly low trade value. If the Jets wanted to trade Helle away today, they'd get a 2nd round pick back, max

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Both Overhardt and Chevy probably know that other teams' best trade offers will come when there's a deadline looming, if they want Trouba for the balance of the season. Chevy's in the driver's seat, and Overhardt knows it. This is not a situation where they are just facing each other in a contract negotiation, they need at least one and maybe even two NHL teams to both offer up good trade value and agree to contract terms for Trouba. I really don't think this will end with Trouba signing with the Jets before a trade is arranged, but I could be wrong. It depends on whether Chevy is really going to play hardball on principle.

Surprised at that assessment Whileee. I assume you're banking on a trade happening then? I'm definitely not of that leaning, though it all depends on who is out there that really really wants him on their team.

For a trade to happen, have to have 2 or more teams with that strong desire at the last minute. Can't see it happening -- going to take a lot of last minute rangling, but I see him signing a contract (just not sure if Chevy will be able to force the long-term on him -- because that is the ideal scenario for us)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The worst thing is, there's a good possibility that Trouba will only go to a certain team and is not budging. It's certainly not about usage, as the team with the worst RHD depth in the league isn't a fit for him. This is very likely about the city - but not in terms of Winnipeg being a bad one, it's about some other city being the exact one he wants to go to.

If I'm correct here, Trouba can sit for five years and then fulfill his goals wherever he likes.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
What good is a elite goalie, if you have no defence in front of him.

A goalie is your most important defense man. Especially with a young team like us... we need (badly) a goalie to bail us out once in a while when we make those mistakes. Having said that... elite goalies don't come available too often.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
The worst thing is, there's a good possibility that Trouba will only go to a certain team and is not budging. It's certainly not about usage, as the team with the worst RHD depth in the league isn't a fit for him. This is very likely about the city - but not in terms of Winnipeg being a bad one, it's about some other city being the exact one he wants to go to.

If I'm correct here, Trouba can sit for five years and then fulfill his goals wherever he likes.

He has every right to do this.... if money is not important to him and he really thinks he can take an extended NHL sabbatical can still be competitive when it's over. It's never been done before, but I guess there's always a first time.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I still have a feeling no deal gets signed, no trade gets made, and Trouba ends up overseas (Switzerland, etc..).

I think the Trouba camp feels so strongly about not playing in Winnipeg that I don't think he will re-sign a 2-year (bridge) or 6-year (long-term, perhaps allowing best trade value for both sides) contract because he won't want to potentially spend another year or two or 3 or 4 in Winnipeg. And it's possible in signing those deals, that that happens. If Trouba were to sign in Switzerland, for example, his regular season would end around the beginning of March, I believe. So all he would have to put in is 3 or so months of hockey overseas. This is why I think they may opt to do that, rather than sign with the Jets for 2 years or 6 years, then all the cards are in the Jets hands and they can send him wherever they want, whenever they want.

I think the Trouba camp will feel if they sign overseas that they will still hold some leverage and their next best bet here against the ever so patient Jets/Chevy, is that a trade happens at the draft.

Just my hunch. One way or the other I am looking very much forward to the end of this month.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Ya, hazard a guess his value after sitting for five years will be half of what it is today. Factor in 5 seasons of forfeiting an NHL paycheck, pulling this antic will cost him in excess of 30 million.

I for one would cut ties with any player stupid enough to leave that kind of money on the table, in fear they are below in hockey IQ as well.

He is signing a 6 year deal with us, and we move him before the deadline

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Yup, this is the way I'm leaning too.

Perhaps KO has expected this would play out the way it has all along. He's dealing with one of the most patient GM's in the league. Perhaps Trouba is dead-set on not playing in Winnipeg/Canada and is willing to sit as long as it takes to prove he's serious.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Surprised at that assessment Whileee. I assume you're banking on a trade happening then? I'm definitely not of that leaning, though it all depends on who is out there that really really wants him on their team.

For a trade to happen, have to have 2 or more teams with that strong desire at the last minute. Can't see it happening -- going to take a lot of last minute rangling, but I see him signing a contract (just not sure if Chevy will be able to force the long-term on him -- because that is the ideal scenario for us)

You might be right. I just think the final outcome will be a trade. Maybe it will come after he signs a deal with the Jets, but I won't be surprised if the Jets work out a trade and the team that gets him squeezes Trouba hard to agree to a team-friendly contract in advance.

At this point, I lean towards a trade prior to December 1, but it could go the other way around.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I still have a feeling no deal gets signed, no trade gets made, and Trouba ends up overseas (Switzerland, etc..).

I think the Trouba camp feels so strongly about not playing in Winnipeg that I don't think he will re-sign a 2-year (bridge) or 6-year (long-term, perhaps allowing best trade value for both sides) contract because he won't want to potentially spend another year or two or 3 or 4 in Winnipeg. And it's possible in signing those deals, that that happens. If Trouba were to sign in Switzerland, for example, his regular season would end around the beginning of March, I believe. So all he would have to put in is 3 or so months of hockey overseas. This is why I think they may opt to do that, rather than sign with the Jets for 2 years or 6 years, then all the cards are in the Jets hands and they can send him wherever they want, whenever they want.

I think the Trouba camp will feel if they sign overseas that they will still hold some leverage and their next best bet here against the ever so patient Jets/Chevy, is that a trade happens at the draft.

Just my hunch. One way or the other I am looking very much forward to the end of this month.

Trouba would be a complete moron to push it to having to play in Switzerland this season. He won't have any more leverage after that, and maybe even less. I think that if there's no contract or trade by December 1, then this situation goes nuclear, and it won't end up well for Trouba.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Trouba would be a complete moron to push it to having to play in Switzerland this season. He won't have any more leverage after that, and maybe even less. I think that if there's no contract or trade by December 1, then this situation goes nuclear, and it won't end up well for Trouba.

Yup, I agree. If it does go in the direction of Trouba playing overseas and we get to the 2017 draft, if no trade is made it will look awfully funny on Trouba/Overhardt for taking it that far and still being no further ahead. They would have absolutely zero leverage, as you say. What do they do then? threaten to play overseas again? :laugh: .. I mean, at that point you're literally pissing away your NHL career.

It's pretty far fetched, I know. A part of me just has a hunch that they may opt to go overseas and push this thing to the draft hoping that's where it ends. I think it would be incredibly stupid, but if no trade is made in the coming weeks I could see Trouba not even re-signing for 2 years or 6 years because like I said, if that happens, there is a good chance Jacob is staying in Winnipeg for some time (maybe) and I do not think for a second Trouba or his family want to be signed in Winnipeg at all, be it short-term and surely to hell not long-term.

This could get really ugly.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup, I agree. If it does go in the direction of Trouba playing overseas and we get to the 2017 draft, if no trade is made it will look awfully funny on Trouba/Overhardt for taking it that far and still being no further ahead. They would have absolutely zero leverage, as you say. What do they do then? threaten to play overseas again? :laugh: .. I mean, at that point you're literally pissing away your NHL career.

It's pretty far fetched, I know. A part of me just has a hunch that they may opt to go overseas and push this thing to the draft hoping that's where it ends. I think it would be incredibly stupid, but if no trade is made I have a hard time seeing Trouba re-signing for 2 years or 6 years because like I said, if that happens, there is a good chance Jacob is staying in Winnipeg for some time (maybe) and I do not think for a second Trouba or his family want to be signed in Winnipeg at all, be it short-term and surely to hell not long-term.

This could get really ugly.

If Trouba doesn't want to play in Winnipeg, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to play in Europe for a fraction of the salary. If this drags past December 1 without a contract, we're into "scorched earth" territory, and Trouba will pay a very heavy price. I really don't think it will go that far.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

I could see that being a workable solution for him, however. So he signs a contract to play in Switz for the rest of the season. Takes a bit of a kicking on the $$, and playing in a location that he won't like, but....

The but, is that it will profile that he is still a great player. It will open the market up to a whole lot of teams for a trade in the summer. It will get him out of Wpg & into a "more desirable" location.

So he loses 2-3 m in the process, but gets to go where he wants & recoups the $$ in his next contract. Might work to his & our advantage in the end.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Something I've been wondering about since I saw it bandied around on the main boards. What happens if Trouba gets someone to do up an offer sheet for say 1 yr at 5 mill?

Jets have to sign him -- can't let him go. But then he's yr to yr with arbitration rights. Doesn't that work to his advantage & get him where he wants to go??

Jetlaggedoil

Nov 12, 2014
Something I've been wondering about since I saw it bandied around on the main boards. What happens if Trouba gets someone to do up an offer sheet for say 1 yr at 5 mill?

Jets have to sign him -- can't let him go. But then he's yr to yr with arbitration rights. Doesn't that work to his advantage & get him where he wants to go??

What team will offersheet him for that, they would give up significant value in draft picks and he could just go arbitration to free agency on them as well?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Not really, once he's under contract we can trade him wherever we want, and other GMs will know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad