Eklund Rumor: Trouba - Leafs, Boston & Wings

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I don’t like his skill set. There are only a handful of teams around the NHL where players like him can work and Winnipeg isn’t going to be one of them.

:laugh:

You are completely out to lunch on this. Carlo is the perfect model for the new age shutdown defender. Huge, calm, and will play physical while being extremely mobile and possessing decent puck skills. Also right handed.

He's a much better player than Larsson was at his age and we saw what was needed to pry him out of NJ.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
'Defensive' defensemen have no place in the modern NHL

Except he's not your classic defensive dman, in fact, he's exactly built for the modern NHL. He's mobile and skates well, sees the ice and transitions with the puck either with a quick pass or by skating it out himself with speed. He's not going to be a point producer like the elite's in the game, but he has the potential to put up 25-30ish tertiary points like a Travis Hamonic.

Right now, he's hitting a rookie wall and not playing at the same high level as he was earlier in the year, but he's still very good; It's to be expected.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
'Defensive' defensemen have no place in the modern NHL

THis is false. All you need to do is look at the World Hockey Championships rosters, the WJC's and the Stanley Cup Finals to see ample example of defensive defensemen playing huge roles in their teams success.

What's changed is that they need to be faster, more physical and better transitioning the puck to the forwards at top speed.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Same. I posted in this (or another thread) that the worst place for me to see Carlo would be with Reilly. That duo would be one of the best in the NHL in very short time.

Agreed. That's why i wasn't totally against swapping Nylander in that thread.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
I’ve said it before but Carlo looks like a guy who can only be successful in a very narrow range of circumstances and systems. He does well with the Bruins, they systems they run and the players they have around him but I think he’d struggle just about anywhere else. If the Jets traded for him I believe he’d regress to being a 5/6 guy pretty quickly. The Jets don’t want/need a quality for quantity type trade, they need that singular feature piece, that just isn’t there in this proposal.
There's a lot of quality in there. You can't really believe a 1 for 1 is gonna happen? If Trouba is dealt (due to not wanting in sign an extention), there will be multiple pieces coming to Winnipeg. I'd be willing to be bet on that. Say avatar switch for a year?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Except he's not your classic defensive dman, in fact, he's exactly built for the modern NHL. He's mobile and skates well, sees the ice and transitions with the puck either with a quick pass or by skating it out himself with speed. He's not going to be a point producer like the elite's in the game, but he has the potential to put up 25-30ish tertiary points like a Travis Hamonic.

Right now, he's hitting a rookie wall and not playing at the same high level as he was earlier in the year, but he's still very good; It's to be expected.

I think this is a good assessment of where we are right now.

Carol looked for the first bit of the season like a good young #3/4 defenceman who had a good first pass and played well in his own zone.

Over the last few games, he looks like more of a #4/5 (still good for his age) D man that has looked a bit out of sorts in the offensive end.

The question IMO is will we see him be the player who started the year or the one we see right now going forward. If he is the former, then he should be pretty untouchable. If he is the latter, it may make sense to move him for a upper echelon forward prospect/young guy while his value is still inflated.

----
As a Leafs fan, I dont move Nylander (as some have suggested). He is too good and has proven himself at every level (SHL, AHL, NHL) to be pretty fantastic for his age.

Hard to compare a offensive minded young C/W vs a "modern" shut down D man, but I think Nylander has shown more potential over a longer period of time.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I actually prefer Lauzon, so that deal would work for me.

Carlo + Lauzon + Heinen + Hayes

For

Trouba

How do other fans feel about a deal like this?

We have the worse/outdated version in Mark Stuart. If he wasn't signed for one more year after this season (2.625 cap). Then I think Winnipeg could consider McQuaid/K.Miller.

Like you indicated, first priority is to resign him. If that can`t happen (if he wants out), this is the sort of deal I`d be all over.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
There's a lot of quality in there. You can't really believe a 1 for 1 is gonna happen? If Trouba is dealt (due to not wanting in sign an extention), there will be multiple pieces coming to Winnipeg. I'd be willing to be bet on that. Say avatar switch for a year?

Even though I said I`d do the deal, I am somewhat leary that Carlo won`t be anywhere near as good as he has looked at times this year. Without that assurance, there is nothing in that deal that gets me very excited. I`d prefer a deal for a couple of real solid Dmen (no more would really be needed). Philly seems like the best trading partner in that respect.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Even though I said I`d do the deal, I am somewhat leary that Carlo won`t be anywhere near as good as he has looked at times this year. Without that assurance, there is nothing in that deal that gets me very excited. I`d prefer a deal for a couple of real solid Dmen (no more would really be needed). Philly seems like the best trading partner in that respect.

Obviously II'd prefer to extend Trouba. If that's not possible I'd do a deal like the one that was suggested. I just don't believe there a 1 for 1 deal.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think this is a good assessment of where we are right now.

Carol looked for the first bit of the season like a good young #3/4 defenceman who had a good first pass and played well in his own zone.

Over the last few games, he looks like more of a #4/5 (still good for his age) D man that has looked a bit out of sorts in the offensive end.

The question IMO is will we see him be the player who started the year or the one we see right now going forward. If he is the former, then he should be pretty untouchable. If he is the latter, it may make sense to move him for a upper echelon forward prospect/young guy while his value is still inflated.

----
As a Leafs fan, I dont move Nylander (as some have suggested). He is too good and has proven himself at every level (SHL, AHL, NHL) to be pretty fantastic for his age.

Hard to compare a offensive minded young C/W vs a "modern" shut down D man, but I think Nylander has shown more potential over a longer period of time.

If we are hyping our own prospects and not the other team's then Carlo has been a #2 and who cares about Nylander. ;)

Carlo has been fine. He hasn't been lost in any zones.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Don't be ignorant. Players like Stuart have no place.

IMO Carlo is a slightly taller but less mobile/agile version of Ben Chiarot. Remember how good Chiarot looked when he first came up from the AHL and was paired with Buff? Almost all of Carlo’s ice time has been with Chara and either Bergeron or Krejci on the ice with him, he has far and away the best QoT in the NHL and his possession numbers are still poor. Without that type of player around him I think he ends up on the third pair and I’m not sure he ever climbs back any higher.

I’m to saying this to slam the player or “get a better dealâ€, I don’t think he should be part of any trade. He seems to fit the Bruins system and their needs so it would be a big mistake from both sides to involve him in a trade. Just leave him in a place where he’s having success.

There's a lot of quality in there.

I don't see it.

You can't really believe a 1 for 1 is gonna happen? If Trouba is dealt (due to not wanting in sign an extention), there will be multiple pieces coming to Winnipeg.

He won't be traded for those pieces. If he's traded for multiple pieces there will be a singular piece that is much more attractive than anything there, and the other pieces will better fit the Jets needs. Otherwise the team will work the arbitration process and try to get 4 more years (after this one) before he goes to UFA.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If we are hyping our own prospects and not the other team's then Carlo has been a #2 and who cares about Nylander. ;)

Carlo has been fine. He hasn't been lost in any zones.

Didnt mean to come off as dismissive at all!
He looks good, but has only been playing at this level (potential wise) for about half a season. Would think a full season of this or more would dramatically drive up the value.

Same as people who were saying Vesey was a top 3 rookie this year when he started the year supper strong and now he has slowed down. During his hot streak his value was tremendously higher than it would be right now (on HFBoards, i think this mentality is used allot in the pro leagues, especially baseball which has many books on true value)

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
If you believe the agent and player Canada is no problem. Both stated playing in Canada is no issue.

Yeah, that was just another smear job by TNSE just like releasing Ladd, Buff & Trouba's opening negotiating positions. Complete amateur hour. Like the guys on Hockey Ctr @ Noon said at the time we should all feel sorry for Chevy for being saddled with those clowns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad