Speculation: Trouba/Laine

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
BJ's fans were also saying that about Panarin and Bob. Who knows what will happen.

The biggest difference is that Panarin has been very transparent from the start that he is going to test the UFA market no matter what. Even if traded to a desired destination. This would have limited the offers as he is/was for sure a rental and really put the jackets in a bind.

Bob is a goalie. Which playoff teams needed a goalie at the deadline? Jackets kept him as their own rental for the season as they had no ready replacement and felt like they could compete this year. Maybe the Jets do the same with Trouba? My inkling is that Trouba would sign an extension today with a desired location and that there would be no problems setting up a trade and sign. Knowing you'd be able to get the player and they'd be locked up long term at a contract you like increases the value.

Jets won't trade him for rental value. They'll just keep him as we don't have an internal replacement ready in-house.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
That is awful for the Jets. If that is all Laine would return in a trade then the Jets risk him becoming a 50 goal a year guy.

You know 2 can play this . Oilers risk RNH becoming a 80+ point guy . He just had a break out season playing with garbage wingers . Imagined RNH playing with good wingers over the crap he had all year .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You know 2 can play this . Oilers risk RNH becoming a 80+ point guy and he is a C that plays an 2 way game . He also just had a break out season playing with garbage wingers . Imagined RNH playing with good wingers over the crap he had all year .

Not saying it a good deal for the Jets . Just saying this can go either way and can be argued both ways

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Except that he’ll never make it to UFA. All indications are that he’ll be traded to a team where he is willing to sign a long term extension.
Okay? And what if those teams are Detroit and Florida, Why would they give up assets? When they can sign him for free on July 1st 2020. Pretty sure Trouba has a short list of teams, Probably Rangers, Flyers, Lightning, Red Wings and Panthers. Doubt they give up major assets for a guy they can sign for free come July 1st 2020.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You know 2 can play this . Oilers risk RNH becoming a 80+ point guy . He just had a break out season playing with garbage wingers . Imagined RNH playing with good wingers over the crap he had all year .

I’m sure you understand how unlikely any team or fan would be trading away one of the best young goal scorers in NHL history for any player with a two year term before UFA. It’s not about Nuge or the Oilers or any HFB BS.......just wouldn’t happen. To be clear by saying all this by no means am I diminishing Nuge achievements or him as a player.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think that keeping Trouba next season on a value arbitration-based contract (maybe around $6-6.5M) for another run is an underrated option. If Trouba leaves then as a UFA the Jets will have a better handle on their upcoming D, who will have another year of development behind them (Niku, Samberg, Poolman, Kovacevic). They will also go into the 2020 off-season with more cap space, and could target one of the many UFA D that are scheduled to be on the market that off-season.

So, if Chevy can't find really good value for Trouba in a trade, I think he might bite the bullet and use him as his own "rental" for next year, and then plan for a bigger overhaul to the D starting in 2020.

Trouba walking and Buff having 1 year left sounds like a nightmare to be honest, and lead to total rebuilding of that D-core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad