Speculation: Trouba/Laine

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You do understand that Trouba's fiancee Kelly Tyson is just going to Medical School there in Ft Lauderdale? This medical career in FL is a little premature she's attending classes not working to become a doctor. Maybe here in Florida maybe elsewhere only she knows for sure.

thank you for extra info/detail

still, that is the status atm

After graduation, there are plenty of places with world class rep in NY, Detroit, CA, as well as Canada to consider once we know her area of specialization, which would suggest a specific locale [i.e., Mayo Clinic for ALS, cancer, etc.].

unless she graduates next week and tells us her plans def, I would not spend asset capital on a guy who may want out not too much later.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
If Trouba is interested in signing long term with said teams, They can just wait and sign him for free on July 1st 2020 and not give up assets for him. All indications are the he's heading for UFA next summer.
Except that he’ll never make it to UFA. All indications are that he’ll be traded to a team where he is willing to sign a long term extension.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Lol, all the teams are “going to wait and sign him for free”?

Only 1 team can sign him, bruh. He just put up 50 pts, puts up terrific advanced stats, is 6”3, two way defender and is only 25 years old. There aren’t many of these guys in the league period, and ones who become available are even less. There will be multiple teams interested and offering.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Only 1 team can sign him, bruh. He just put up 50 pts, puts up terrific advanced stats, is 6”3, two way defender and is only 25 years old. There aren’t many of these guys in the league period, and ones who become available are even less. There will be multiple teams interested and offering.

That’s fans talking......not GM’s. I highly expect Trouba to be traded and signed long term this summer (before any arbitration hearing) with some Eastern based US team like Panthers, Bolts, Rangers, Flyers or Wings. Makes most sense to Jets, new team and Trouba to do a trade/sign deal so you know Trouba will play ball.....other GM’s will play ball likely bc they get a #1RHD in his prime instantly with no risk. This summer is going to be fun as a Jets fan......just waiting till the playoffs end.

Reactions: Heldig

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Wings fans “wE wILl JuSt wAit TilL UfA”

Trouba traded and signs long term with another team

Wing fans *surprised pikachu*
Don’t think you’ll see much surprise. We’re waiting til Ufa because our available assets don’t match up with the Jets needs. Unless a third party is involved I don’t see him ending up a wing by trade.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
No chance Laine gets a bridge.
Otherwise Chevy is f#ck.

Lose Laine in 4 yrs and Wheeler the old man soon.

Down to 2 wingers.

You already have KConnor ceiling playing in the top line for 2 years.
Ehlers we dont know. Coach Maurice likes throw him down the line even though he is the best option Lw in the top unit.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
My predictions/expectations:

Laine will sign 2-3 years bridge at 5-6M.

Connor will sign 5-6 years at ~6.5M.

Trouba has played his last game with the Jets. He will be traded to a team that he is willing to sign a long term extension with.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Trouba has played his last game with the Jets. He will be traded to a team that he is willing to sign a long term extension with.
I think you're probably right, though I could also see Laine signing a long-term deal for around $8.5-9.0M AAV.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I think you're probably right, though I could also see Laine signing a long-term deal for around $8.5-9.0M AAV.

I think your both very possibly right.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

BJ's fans were also saying that about Panarin and Bob. Who knows what will happen.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
BJ's fans were also saying that about Panarin and Bob. Who knows what will happen.
Do you think the BJ got no decent offers for Panarin or Bob? I think they would have got a couple of decent offers for both but decided to keep them...Jets fans think there is almost zero chance Chevy would do that

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If the Jets move Trouba it's crucial they replace him with an equal quality d-man. That's not a deep high-end group they have and they can't afford a significant subtraction.

For sure but how will Chevy achieve that is the million dollar question.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
For sure but how will Chevy achieve that is the million dollar question.
Yes I agree....I don't see why a team would trade back the same quality player?

I do not think we will get an equal value player back....We will prob go from a #1 RHD (Trouba) to a #2 RHD and a pick/prospect

Buff will move back up to #1 RHD and off we go...

Use the couple of mil savings from an extended Trouba to the #2 RHD defenseman to sign the likes of Conner/Laine

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes I agree....I don't see why a team would trade back the same quality player?

I do not think we will get an equal value player back....We will prob go from a #1 RHD (Trouba) to a #2 RHD and a pick/prospect

Buff will move back up to #1 RHD and off we go...

Use the couple of mil savings from an extended Trouba to the #2 RHD defenseman to sign the likes of Conner/Laine

98% chance is Chevy won't be dealing from strenght with Trouba.
If hes not willing to sign a deal with the Jets 1 year away from UFA his value will take a massive hit, then there's question of with how many teams is he willing to sign a longterm deal, what if there's only few? How much is he asking, how many of those teams is looking to add a Trouba level D-man and have the cap space?

There's that fear that this D-core will collapse this summer, and just get worse with Buff having only 2 years left.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
He could also just be delt for a mid 1st and a prospect at the trade deadline worse come to worse :D
Could you imagine how many calls Chevy would get at the trade deadline lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that keeping Trouba next season on a value arbitration-based contract (maybe around $6-6.5M) for another run is an underrated option. If Trouba leaves then as a UFA the Jets will have a better handle on their upcoming D, who will have another year of development behind them (Niku, Samberg, Poolman, Kovacevic). They will also go into the 2020 off-season with more cap space, and could target one of the many UFA D that are scheduled to be on the market that off-season.

So, if Chevy can't find really good value for Trouba in a trade, I think he might bite the bullet and use him as his own "rental" for next year, and then plan for a bigger overhaul to the D starting in 2020.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think that keeping Trouba next season on a value arbitration-based contract (maybe around $6-6.5M) for another run is an underrated option. If Trouba leaves then as a UFA the Jets will have a better handle on their upcoming D, who will have another year of development behind them (Niku, Samberg, Poolman, Kovacevic). They will also go into the 2020 off-season with more cap space, and could target one of the many UFA D that are scheduled to be on the market that off-season.

So, if Chevy can't find really good value for Trouba in a trade, I think he might bite the bullet and use him as his own "rental" for next year, and then plan for a bigger overhaul to the D starting in 2020.

Good point

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

I agree with you, I also think that is a very real possibility. If the offers are sub-standard as in this thread, I could see the Jets keeping him as well. I had just thought of it from the playoff run aspect, not the prospect development aspect. That is a real good point. Anything can happen in that year and other opportunities that aren't visible now could present themselves then.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Why would the Jets deal him next deadline though? They are trying to contend, why would they ever subtract a guy like Trouba from their lineup right before playoffs.. would make no sense. If he's not dealt this summer I'd imagine they'll try to make a run with him next year like CBJ did with Panarin and Bob.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Why would the Jets deal him next deadline though? They are trying to contend, why would they ever subtract a guy like Trouba from their lineup right before playoffs.. would make no sense. If he's not dealt this summer I'd imagine they'll try to make a run with him next year like CBJ did with Panarin and Bob.
If the Jets are playing like they have since December they won't be contending for anything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad