Proposal: Trouba for Ekblad

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Panthers won't be the only team interested. If the Panthers want to acquire Trouba, they would need to outbid other teams.
Rumor is that Trouba wants to play in either Florida, Detroit or New York.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I didn't suggest "throwing him away for nothing". My proposed trade has him as a "sweetener" in order to get the deal done. That has value. So you throw in a 2nd rounder or Perreualt. If we agree Perreault is worth a 2nd rounder in a trade, it's essentially the same thing, except for those who have an emotional attachment to Perreault the player.
No, it is throwing him away for nothing. There is no need to throw a 2nd pick in at all as a sweetener. Trouba being the better player is all the sweetener that is needed. A sweetener is a low pick or B prospect, not a legit middle 6 player.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
i don’t see Ek going anywhere. He’s signed to a long term deal and imo is overpaid at the moment. He needs to work a lot more on his skating, he gets beat often and he insists on pinching down low and doesn't have the speed to get back.

Talon already lost Guds, don’t see him moving Ek even for Trouba.

I’d love Trouba here but don’t see how he could come here (if it’s true he really wants to) with Yandle, Matheson and Ek’s contracts.

PatientPanther is smart and level headed, I like the response and counter offers in their post.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
No, it is throwing him away for nothing. There is no need to throw a 2nd pick in at all as a sweetener. Trouba being the better player is all the sweetener that is needed. A sweetener is a low pick or B prospect, not a legit middle 6 player.
You are obviously not following the discussion in this thread, nor to you understand the complexity of the entire situation. This trade is much more complex than "Trouba is a better player so the Panthers win the trade".

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
i don’t see Ek going anywhere. He’s signed to a long term deal and imo is overpaid at the moment. He needs to work a lot more on his skating, he gets beat often and he insists on pinching down low and doesn't have the speed to get back.

I’d love Trouba here but don’t see how he could come here (if it’s true he really wants to) with Yandle, Matheson and Ek’s contracts.

PatientPanther is smart and level headed, I like the response and counter offers in their post.

Yep, I definitely respect his opinion. I'm just hoping Chevy can pull a rabbit out of his hat on this Trouba situation, which he has done before!

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Appreciate the tire pumping Laus. :cheers:

Reactions: Laus723

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
ya, 90% on the PP.... like I said he is over bloated by his PP stats.

HE.IS.NOT.WHAT.HE.WAS

I know it sucks to hear but Ekblad is not the player you drafted first overall, it just sucks.
Even from Advanced stats + pure show, Trouba is showing better number... Trouba is extremely better defensively.

Ekblad = more than 100 turnovers on 1000+ minutes.
Trouba = more minutes than Ekblad, yet -30 turnovers.

I bring facts, bring me some facts
Ever think that he's on a pretty brutal team and he can't carry them on his own?

He wouldn't need to be THE guy in WPG and his supporting cast would be vastly superior.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
You are obviously not following the discussion in this thread, nor to you understand the complexity of the entire situation. This trade is much more complex than "Trouba is a better player so the Panthers win the trade".
Right, it is complex. However, you're the one that isn't following the discussion or understanding the entire situation.

Your take is; "panic and throw away extra assets at a deal that comes close to meeting our needs"

The rest of us are saying; "relax, we have a pretty valuable commodity. Let's see how it plays out as we get closer, instead of panicking and making a bad trade."

It's not just me, all the other Jets fans in this thread don't agree with your "panic" trade negotiation tactic.

Reactions: Fairview

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
What do you see happening with Trouba? Post a realistic scenario.

I dont know. I'm not gm. I dont know the behind the scenes or the politics

I just know giving up that much because you're scared to lose something in 2 years isnt a good business strategy

Reactions: Snowman

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
Panthers won't be the only team interested. If the Panthers want to acquire Trouba, they would need to outbid other teams.

There was a lot of interest in Karlsson, who is a better player, but was it really a bidding war? I would think the Sens return is in line with the Jets can expect from Trouba, if he wants out.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Right, it is complex. However, you're the one that isn't following the discussion or understanding the entire situation.

Your take is; "panic and throw away extra assets at a deal that comes close to meeting our needs"

The rest of us are saying; "relax, we have a pretty valuable commodity. Let's see how it plays out as we get closer, instead of panicking and making a bad trade."

It's not just me, all the other Jets fans in this thread don't agree with your "panic" trade negotiation tactic.
I think you are the one who is delusional thinking other GMs will be lining up to give Chevy full value for Trouba, knowing full well he's in a pickle. And I never once said we need to "panic", but Chevy does need to plan and start asking around who would be willing trade partners. This proposed trade is for the offseason, not now. It is assumed Trouba is staying with the Jets this season for a cup run.

Sounds like even if we did add Perreault to Trouba, we still wouldn't get Ekblad, which is kind of what I expected. No one is paying full value for Trouba, knowing the full context of his situation.

As several other smart, level-headed posters stated in this thread that Trouba + Perreault for Ekblad would be a best case scenario for the Jets.

And it is obvious that you still don't understand Perreault will be a cap casualty in the very near future.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
I dont know. I'm not gm. I dont know the behind the scenes or the politics

I just know giving up that much because you're scared to lose something in 2 years isnt a good business strategy

That's the thing. No one knows what the situation actually is. Obviously, I'd rather just sign Trouba to a cheap deal. In this scenario, I'm assuming Trouba has declared to Chevy that he will not re-sign with us and will only negotiate with 2-3 teams. Not perfect. Under these circumstances I would make the deal in OP rather than losing Trouba for nothing or a bunch of spare parts (see Karlsson deal). It's not optimal, but neither will our RHD if he leaves. At least this deal gets us a young top pairing RHD that is signed for 6 more years.

Also, It's 1 1/2 years. and his value will deminish the closer he gets.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
That's the thing. No one knows what the situation actually is. Obviously, I'd rather just sign Trouba to a cheap deal. In this scenario, I'm assuming Trouba has declared to Chevy that he will not re-sign with us and will only negotiate with 2-3 teams. Not perfect. Under these circumstances I would make the deal in OP rather than losing Trouba for nothing or a bunch of spare parts (see Karlsson deal). It's not optimal, but neither will our RHD if he leaves. At least this deal gets us a young top pairing RHD that is signed for 6 more years.

Also, It's 1 1/2 years. and his value will deminish the closer he gets.

He's more valuable to play for the jets and walk than give away extra players that make your team better

Reactions: Snowman

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Panthers do not trade Ekblad for Trouba lol ... Trouba is at best a better defender mind you on a MUCH better team. Ekblad is a better offensive player and two years younger. No chance, we can grab him through a lesser trade or wait for free agency.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He's more valuable to play for the jets and walk than give away extra players that make your team better
Sure lots of players would make lots of teams better. But there's this thing called a salary cap. As an example, Chevy just gave away Armia in order to comply with the cap. He made the Jets better.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I think you are the one who is delusional thinking other GMs will be lining up to give Chevy full value for Trouba, knowing full well he's in a pickle. And I never once said we need to "panic", but Chevy does need to plan and start asking around who would be willing trade partners. This proposed trade is for the offseason, not now. It is assumed Trouba is staying with the Jets this season for a cup run.

Sounds like even if we did add Perreault to Trouba, we still wouldn't get Ekblad, which is kind of what I expected. No one is paying full value for Trouba, knowing the full context of his situation.

As several other smart, level-headed posters stated in this thread that Trouba + Perreault for Ekblad would be a best case scenario for the Jets.

And it is obvious that you still don't understand Perreault will be a cap casualty in the very near future.
No, once again it is you that doesn't understand Perreault's situation. Yes, he will likely be a cap casualty. That doesn't mean that we should just throw him into a deal for the hell of it. Why give him away for nothing, when we can get something for him? He actually has value no matter what you think.

Some of the more level headed posters in this thread have been trying to tell you the sky isn't falling, but you don't want to hear it.

None of us here are GM's, so I don't really care if some fan of another team thinks we're going to have to give Trouba away for nothing. A real GM, who knows that he is easily getting the best player in the deal, but who also knows he could lose him to another team, will likely pay a fair or close to fair price. That is the exact situation here.

Everyone told us we would get nothing when trading Kane and Chevy proceeded to tear Buffalo a new one.

People like to cite Karlsson, but neglect that Ottawa's GM is an idiot handcuffed by a moron owner. Chevy knows how to deal and won't be pressured by management to dump salary, he's proven that and I trust him.

Anyways, it's all just fun time discussions here. If you are happy making a panic trade and selling low, great. I like a lot of other Jet fans are fine waiting for the right deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad