Proposal: Trouba all encompassing trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't think I buy the 'Trouba requested a trade, so he is worth less' narrative. That might be true in a vacuum, but the reality of the matter is that there are presumably 29 teams that are kicking the tires on Trouba. It's not like everyone submits their lowball trade offer and the Jets have to pick the best of the worst.

Sure the starting points have probably lowered, but really what will be happening is

Team A: We offer you Player 1 and a 2nd round pick

Jets: Well, Team B offered us X and Y, and we like that package more

Team B: Well, maybe we can work with Player 2 and a 1st

Jets: We'll see.

agreed... especially when we saw a very disgruntled Evander Kane get traded for that enormous return. Chevy will get full value back for Trouba. A lot of teams will want Trouba

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
Gardiner and Nylander for Trouba, Connor, and Morrissey. Probably a bit of an overpay from WPG's side.

Doesn't really make sense. Why swap Connor for Nylander (yes I know Willie is better) and why give up Morrissey? We need Josh going forward. I actually like Gardiner but I don't really see a trade that makes sense with him coming to us that includes Trouba.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Provorov and Streit for Trouba is fair (third party observer). Provorov has higher upside, but Trouba is ready now and right shot d are rare.

Sanheim, Streit and a 1st for Trouba is also fair.

I could see a pretty massive deal go down between these teams if Hextall has the nards to try. Philly needs left wingers and right D in their system in the worst way. Philly has buckets of left shooting, left side D.

Imagine Kyle Connor and Jacob Trouba in the Philly system.

Provorov, Streit, Konecny + for Connor and Trouba

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Provorov and Streit for Trouba is fair (third party observer). Provorov has higher upside, but Trouba is ready now and right shot d are rare.

Sanheim, Streit and a 1st for Trouba is also fair.

I could see a pretty massive deal go down between these teams if Hextall has the nards to try. Philly needs left wingers and right D in their system in the worst way. Philly has buckets of left shooting, left side D.

Imagine Kyle Connor and Jacob Trouba in the Philly system.

Provorov, Streit, Konecny + for Connor and Trouba

flyers wont trade Provorov. I could see Sanheim package though if Chevy wanted prospects. But its believed he wants NHL ready dman. Cant really see him wanting Streit though

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Flyers won't touch deal that includes Provorov for Trouba, let alone add to him. Forget it, ,guys. Provorov is basically untouchable, just like Gostisbehere.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This is why you take these rumors seriously, especially when they're persistent and coming from different sources. Winnipeg fans spent the year saying every Trouba rumor was absolutely horsecrap, all traced back to one single article that was completely fabricated. Much like Edmonton fans saying Hall would never get traded and Eberle would fetch them a top-4 defenseman, sometimes you have to remove your hands from your eyes and read the writing on the wall.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I'm really high on Connor as a leafs fan, and you have to give quality for quality. The majority of leafs fans on this board think it's quality for quantity. I feel the same way about there not being a deal to be made, it's just the only one to me that could be justified. I didn't really think of it from Winnipeg's side though.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Fans of other teams need to understand a few things:

1) Chevy will not panic. This is one of the slowest moving gms in the league. At the very least I'd expect him to wait until the season starts because other teams will be looking to fill holes at that point.

2) stats have pointed out time and time again that he's a top pairing guy. Yost agrees, Garrett agrees, Micah agrees, on and on. He was able to drag mark Stuart into positive possession territory. Even prime Chara couldn't do that.

3) the problem isn't just who is beside him but also who is behind. Pavelec is terrible.

4) we have *lots* of assets. Tons of forwards and could certainly afford to move any goalie not named Hellebuyck. This potential trade is very likely going to be bigger than just a swap.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
my hope is that the rumour he wants to play as close to the state of michigan as possible is true as nothing is closer to that than detroit

it would be nice if a player hand picked detroit for once in his trade demand/request

not gonna happen but would be nice

North

Jun 25, 2009
my hope is that the rumour he wants to play as close to the state of michigan as possible is true as nothing is closer to that than detroit

it would be nice if a player hand picked detroit for once in his trade demand/request

The only problem for Detroit is that beyond Dekeyser, the Wings don't have anything to offer the Jets that is enticing and Detroit wouldn't move Dekeyser since the point would be to pair him and Trouba together.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg

I think Trouba would be great in Detroit, but I doubt there's a trade to be made. Especially after Dekeyser signed that 6x5. Your big trade pieces are all wingers, which is the last thing we need. Would have to be some kind of 3-way.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
3 way with the main pieces being:

To Jets: Fowler
To Rangers: Trouba
To Ducks: Zuccarello/Kreider

Zuccarello and Kreider both make around $500,000 to $600,000 more then Fowler. By all accounts Bob Murray will be seeking a player making less then Fowler have to think maybe a deal around Ryan Spooner. Doubt that Jets have any interest in Fowler. Would imagine that Cheveldayoff would be seeking Krug from Boston or Maatta from Pittsburgh similar age and playing style to Trouba.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would hate to see Brodin go, and I think we are selling low( Jets are going to be very happy with Jonas in the future), but this is a good deal in general for all sides, considering the circumstances, which are;

1- Oiler's are loaded with top rank C's, are still lacking on top 4 D, and can use some size and toughness. Trouba also has a good shot for the PP unit.

2- Jets are in a pickle with Trouba's trade demands. Brodin is virtually the same age as Trouba, locked up at 4 M, and while he has a different skill set than Trouba, is a solid top 4 Dman who can play both sides. They can lament losing Trouba, but Brodin is a good consolation prize that will quietly pay dividends for years to come. Jets have offensive brilliance in Buff...they need defensive competence. That's Brodin. He spent two years on the top pairing with Suter.

3- Wild have too many Dmen, and need forward help, especially at C and RW. Losing Brodin will hurt, and hurt for a long time, but Scandella is a good top 4 Dman, and Reilly looks like he might be in the future. Dumba has to step up now and start playing good all round D.

ALL players have diminished value either because of their perceived "bad" 2105-16 seasons, or their present trade demands. All are young, talented, and will more than likely bounce back.

Possible downsides to this deal?

- Main one, to me, is that Trouba might be wanting to get out of northern Canada in general due to weather/ culture issues. This problem is easily solved by EDM getting an agreement in place pre-trade for a long term contract...something like 7/40M.

- WPG might want more than Brodin return. To that, I say, go ahead, knock yourself out, and try to get a better trade with another team. Scandella is also available for the same deal. He is a bigger, tougher item, who is also locked up for the same price, but is also older, though by no means old at 26. I would prefer that MN keeps Brodin ...I think he is going to be better for longer, and is more versatile, but it's not a biggie.

- MN might just not believe in RNH as being a top C. To that, I say they should take what they can get. Koivu is due for a regression, Granlund has proved to be a second liner at best, and Staal is an aging stopgap. Ek? Who knows? There are no top #1C's available unless they have age, injury, or contract concerns.

Last edited:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Cheveldayoff is seeking a LHD the same age as Trouba 22 years old and similar playing style. Jack Johnson is 30 years old how does this fit the description of what Cheveldayoff is seeking

Because what Cheveldayoff is looking for is quite unrealistic. There just aren't teams looking to trade a young LHD for a righty at the moment (see: Buffalo and Anaheim). Chevy's going to have to take a more seasoned veteran top-4 LHD (and a capable player, which Jack Johnson is) with picks/prospects to make it work.

You could point out that Ryan Murray would get the job done, but it would take a significant add for the Blue Jackets to consider. Murray, at the moment, is their best defender. Much like what viqsi pointed out, moving Murray for Trouba would put us in the same position as the Jets. So it would take a hefty haul for a Murray for Trouba+ swap.

Contrary to popular belief, Jack Johnson is a very solid top-4 defender when not thrust onto the top pairing with an incapable partner. That's why Jack Johnson + one of our prospects not named Dubois/Bjorkstrand/Werenski is a good alternative for WPG to consider.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ok, here is a crazy three way that may be workable, though I think each fan base would have some detractors:

:canes Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Trouba, Nurse, Connor

:edmonton Faulk

:jets Hanifin, Canes' 2017 1st Round pick (top 5 protected, slips to 2018 unprotected)

Alright, hammer away...

Oil pay a high price for Faulk and so they should.

Jets pay a high price for Hanifin. Maybe just a little too high. Tempting though.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
In terms of satisfying team needs, I like the 3-way between Ducks (needs top 6 winger), Leafs (RHD) and Jets (LHD). Fowler is a beast.

Anaheim: JVR
Leafs: Trouba
Jets: Fowler

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pretty sure that Cheveldayoff can get better then Brodin, Like maybe Krug from Boston or Maatta from Pittsburgh. Trouba is clearly better then Brodin.

You think Krug is better than Brodin? Different, yes. Maata better? Good player with health concerns. Brodin is a far better skater, and due for a rebound year( as is RNH).

Jets will be lucky to get a Scandella/Brodin/Fowler return for a player who doesn't want to be there.

I'm genuinely interested to think what return they think they can get for Trouba, now that he has made his trade demand public.

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
What about:

Ducks: Duchene
Jets: Lindholm
Avs: Trouba

Add picks and probably a bit of retention on Duchene to make it work for the ducks.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The only problem for Detroit is that beyond Dekeyser, the Wings don't have anything to offer the Jets that is enticing and Detroit wouldn't move Dekeyser since the point would be to pair him and Trouba together.

i dont disagree but my hope, sorry as a wings fan, is that if he makes it clear he wont sign longterm with anyone but detroit(if his wish truly is to play as close to home as possible) that it will limit the # of suitors

sorta like the hamonic situation last year where he limited it to western canada only

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
In terms of satisfying team needs, I like the 3-way between Ducks (needs top 6 winger), Leafs (RHD) and Jets (LHD). Fowler is a beast.

Anaheim: JVR
Leafs: Trouba
Jets: Fowler

Sorry just don't see Cheveldayoff trading 4 years of Trouba for 2 years of Fowler. I see Cheveldayoff being interested more in Krug from Boston or Maatta from Pittsburgh then Fowler personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad