Trotz's shade on Shattenkirk "I think everybody thought of him as a 1-2, and he really wasn't."

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Trotz was being nice. Shatty was basically Dennis Fumblepuck Wideman for us last year. But I don’t blame him. He played hard but wasn’t a good fit. It was a bad trade. All the Caps fans were gaga about it when it happened but it was poor resource management. Schmidt had emerged but GMBM felt we needed an upgrade to push us over the top. Shatty wasn’t an upgrade and Schmidt continues to prove that in Vegas. Cost us some nice assets.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Lol Trotz is such a dinosaur, as today's game showed Shattencorsi can be very good for the caps.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
While Trotz is correct, I thought Shatty handled it perfectly. Though it's inherently disrespectful for Trotz to talk about another teams player in that light.

Shatty does things at an elite level but he needs to be sheltered at ES and defensively in order to do those things. There is zero shame in that. He also took a massive discount so he's not really getting paid like a top-pairing type regardless. He doesn't really deserve the shade.

Reactions: Lurch

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
While Trotz is correct, I thought Shatty handled it perfectly. Though it's inherently disrespectful for Trotz to talk about another teams player in that light.

Shatty does things at an elite level but he needs to be sheltered at ES and defensively in order to do those things. There is zero shame in that. He also took a massive discount so he's not really getting paid like a top-pairing type regardless. He doesn't really deserve the shade.

In the entire league, only twelve defensemen have a higher cap hit and only five are making more actual cash over the next two seasons.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Last night was bad Shatty. Bad decisions with the puck and over committing defensively. Skjei was better, but isn't strong enough defensively to cover for Shatty's poor play.
On a side note, it must suck to be Ryan Mcdonagh having to play defense all alone.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Dash 3 for Shattenkirk last night. Dang.

I mean, if you want to make that dumbass argument, top pairing shutdown defenseman John Carlson is a -7 on the season.

I think Shattenkirk will survive being at fault for one goal against the Caps in a regular season game. I mean, Caps fans may not, they’re acting like they’ve made it past the secound round in the playoffs after a game in December :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I mean, if you want to make that dumbass argument, top pairing shutdown defenseman John Carlson is a -7 on the season.

+/- isn't the be all and end all for a barometer, but generally speaking if you're -3 on a night and there weren't empty nets involved that sucks. That being said, I caught about a period and a half, Shattenkirk was bad.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I think Shattenkirk will survive being at fault for one goal against the Caps in a regular season game. I mean, Caps fans may not, they’re acting like they’ve made it past the secound round in the playoffs after a game in December :laugh:

1. -7 for the season skating with rookie partners regularly and -3 for a game are different animals.
2. This thread is about Trotz saying what he said and that Shattenkirk and the Rangers would be motivated for the game.
3. If Shattenkirk was motivated to have a big game and that game was the result, its fair to say that he umm....I cant...I have to...Shatt the bed. There will be more chances.
4. Its cheap and easy to find a way to use the Caps playoff history as an insult as awkward as this attempt was. Can you point out a post where a Caps fan was acting like it was the clincher for the win in the 2nd round?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

Why is it disrespectful to state facts?

Does the NHL need to be full of Gretzkys where everyone is a #1 AINEC and everyone is an extremely hard competitor that pushes players to their best?

Lol give me a break, millionaires that play a game for a living should be able to take a bit of objective analysis, I don't care if it comes from a place of spite or a place of objectivity, facts are facts.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Trotz is correct. Hes not a top pairing D man. Butthurt fans can bring up orpik or whoever else but orpik is irrelevant.

Shattenkirk shat the bed when he was with the Caps... He wasnt good and i think it sounds like he agrees with Trotz... "Im working towards it" means he believes hes not there so weird thread... Basically Shattenkirk says he agrees. Lol.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Thought I was about to read some tweets where another athlete gets baited into being stupid on social media.

Happy to be proven wrong - whatever you think of Shattenkirk - he handled that comment from Trotz like a true professional. Makes me hope for Shatty to have a great year just a wee bit more even. Great attitude!

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
In the entire league, only twelve defensemen have a higher cap hit and only five are making more actual cash over the next two seasons.

Wait until some of those top-pairing guys exit their cost-controlled deals (given Shatty is getting paid exclusively in his UFA years), as an aside, there are only about ~15 at most #1D in the league, so sounds about right.

Why is it disrespectful to state facts?

Does the NHL need to be full of Gretzkys where everyone is a #1 AINEC and everyone is an extremely hard competitor that pushes players to their best?

Lol give me a break, millionaires that play a game for a living should be able to take a bit of objective analysis, I don't care if it comes from a place of spite or a place of objectivity, facts are facts.

What's with this Gretzky straw man?

Shatty doesn't even play under Trotz anymore. Millionaire or not, it's bad taste. It's not like Trotz, himself, isn't a multi-millionaire. Does being a millionaire preclude one from human etiquette these days?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Wait until some of those top-pairing guys exit their cost-controlled deals (given Shatty is getting paid exclusively in his UFA years), as an aside, there are only about ~15 at most #1D in the league, so sounds about right.

What's with this Gretzky straw man?

Shatty doesn't even play under Trotz anymore. Millionaire or not, it's bad taste. It's not like Trotz, himself, isn't a multi-millionaire. Does being a millionaire preclude one from human etiquette these days?

What human etiquette is that?

NOT stating what one's skill level is?

Sorry, he's not a number 1 guy, that's life. Facts are facts, political correctness or not.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He and Skjei were our only good pair tonight. Not sure what game you watched.
You know as well as I do that how he actually played is irrelevant to these responses. If he played like shit and the Caps lost, there wouldn't have been a peep. As you know, the "offensive defenseman" reputation on this board, or even outside it, is not a kind one at all.

7 8 pages now.. But Shattenkirk says he agrees. Why is there 7 or 8 pages when the player being criticized agrees.
It's not about what Trotz said, it's about the people who think he's awful.

Behind the Numbers: Why Plus/Minus is the worst statistic in hockey and should be abolished

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
it's inherently disrespectful for Trotz to...

Yea, now this much is true. Very out of character for Trotz to provide bulletin board material for an upcoming game. Its Boudreau and Torts like which isn't Trotz. Not sure what was going on there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Two goals. The first goal was an awful defensive play. Caught himself in no-mans land between a hit and a poke check which let the puck get through. Then on the Niskanen goal he not only carelessly tosses the puck up the boards and turns it over, but also gets burned by Wilson coming back into the zone. Then gets caught standing around doing nothing in front of the net during the scramble.

Let's not pretend like this is the first time this season he's been caught making terrible defensive plays either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad