Trotz's shade on Shattenkirk "I think everybody thought of him as a 1-2, and he really wasn't."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Trotz said the truth. Shattenkirk wasn't a top pairing D for the Caps. He might be for the Rangers, but he wasn't for us. I think the trade could've worked out better under other circumstances, Shattenkirk didn't have enough time to adapt IMO. I don't regret the trade, our GM did exactly what he had to considering the strength of our roster.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Shattenkirk has always been self-aware about his abilities, he just wanted a greater opportunity. He'll be a coach someday, no doubt about that. He understands the game at a high level.

Trotz saw Shattenkirk for over 3 seasons while he was in Nashville and Shatty was in St. Louis. He shouldn't have been surprised.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Well Shattenkirk wasn't on the top pairing when he played under Trotz in Washington. So this isn't a surprise, I guess.

I think Trotz has to say that. His team loaded up for a Cup by bringing in Shattenkirk, and then didn't win. The coach can't say "he was just what we expected" because they expected a championship.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
remember this RMNB article

Kevin Shattenkirk is a top-pairing defenseman

shattenkirk-607x587.png

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think he's bitter, he's just reflecting on Shattenkirk's time in DC. The guy came in advertised as a #1 or #2D and he wasn't for us. That's the truth.

Truth. He came in as a 1 that was playing 5 because of the guys ahead of him. He delivered a pretty unspectacular 4/5 level performance where one play might have changed things for the Caps. He was a bust.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Truth. He came in as a 1 that was playing 5 because of the guys ahead of him. He delivered a pretty unspectacular 4/5 level performance where one play might have changed things for the Caps. He was a bust.

If he played as well as he's playing right now for the Rangers, maybe the Caps get past the Penguins and win the Cup. I'd rather not think about it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ok, Barry. But Orpik is, right?

I don't understand why everyone is always on the attack with Shattenkirk. He such a nice kid and a passionate player.

So he's not perfect defensively, who cares? He scores and drives possession at an elite level.

And a lot of other guys around the league get away with making the same mistakes Shattenkirk does based on reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad