Confirmed with Link: Trotz to become GM

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I’d rather have a player coach than Trotz at this point. He needs to focus on his new real job.

With all of that said I’d rather just can Hynes and find a fill in. If we keep Hynes there’s always that insane chance we make the playoffs and win a round or two. Then we’re likely stuck with him.
Lightning hit near my house this morning. A clock fell off a wall.

I don't expect that Hynes will last very long, maybe until the end of the season.

Reactions: bdub24

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Lightning hit near my house this morning. A clock fell off a wall.

I don't expect that Hynes will last very long, maybe until the end of the season.
I'm OK if they want to let him finish out the season. That would mean you could also let Taylor finish the season with the Ads. But I would think youd want a guy like Taylor who has already developed a bunch of these guys to be at the hel of a rebuild, not Hynes and not some retread who has been fired from multiple head coaching spots.

Reactions: adsfan

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
When did the team even get back from Arizona?
Late last night/early this morning. They would have gone to the airport right after the game.
Clarifying points. Hynes was there today but he wasn't on the podium.

Him being there with Poile and Trotz would be an outward expression of support
I'm not explicitly saying you're wrong I just don't think the lack of subordinates on the stage or part of the individual question time says anything. The assistant GMs weren't up there either.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Hynes is Poile’s guy. I seriously doubt Poile would fire him before the end of this season and may even convince Trotz to let him finish out his contract next year. The team isn’t going to be a playoff contender next year whether the coach is Hynes, Taylor or John Cooper. The young players showing signs of progress and getting better throughout the season should be the only expectation for next year. As long as whoever the coach is can accomplish that, I’m ok with it.

Reactions: bdub24

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Hynes is Poile’s guy. I seriously doubt Poile would fire him before the end of this season and may even convince Trotz to let him finish out his contract next year. The team isn’t going to be a playoff contender next year whether the coach is Hynes, Taylor or John Cooper. The young players showing signs of progress and getting better throughout the season should be the only expectation for next year. As long as whoever the coach is can accomplish that, I’m ok with it.
If Trotz lets Poile talk him into keeping Hynes another season then he’s off to a horrible start in his new GM role.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
No player has been good in back to back seasons for Hynes. Yea the young players come up after working with Taylor and look good but when that wears off the turn into Carrier, Jeannot, Tolvanen, Tomasino, etc. Even the experienced guys see dramatic shifts year to year under Hynes

Reactions: predhead1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Trotz called Hynes a good coach and said he would evaluate things because effective 1 July he owns the situation.
If hynes sinks between now and end of season, hold onto to him til end of next season to get a great pick. If he manages to stay squishy middle, see if we can find an upgrade. If he somehow manages to excel this team after a selloff, i have no clue. Stand in awe and question why we ran with the team we did most the season?

Reactions: AnalogKid

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
I don’t know how how this transition and rebuild is going to pan out, but I gotta say this is the most I’ve been excited about this team in a long time. And to add to that, I’m really enjoying watching the kids play, which is a great consolation for not making the playoffs this year (probably).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If hynes sinks between now and end of season, hold onto to him til end of next season to get a great pick. If he manages to stay squishy middle, see if we can find an upgrade. If he somehow manages to excel this team after a selloff, i have no clue. Stand in awe and question why we ran with the team we did most the season?
For me, Hynes has to commit to giving our young players more icetime and responsibility. Novak's icetime has gone up the last few games, long overdue, but I don't see any point to limiting Parssinen, Tomasino, Fabbro, the new Foote either. Play them lots. Don't bench them if they make a mistake. If he can switch gears on that front, it would be interesting to see. But I won't hold my breath.

That said, I guess Fabbro is probably a healthy scratch tonight, right? Sigh. :(

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Barry Trotz just emailed me!

He calls me Smashville just in case you were wondering.

SMASHVILLE,

After working for 23 seasons as a head coach in the National Hockey League, I could not be more excited to come home to Nashville to serve as the second general manager in the history of the Predators. As I mentioned in yesterday’s press conference, SMASHVILLE is home for me and my family. It became our home 26 years ago when I was asked to be the organization’s first coach.

The 17 years I spent leading the team was much more than that. My wife, Kim, and I enjoyed working in the community, helping to build the Predators franchise from the ground up. Through that process we immediately fell in love with the people of Middle Tennessee, many of whom would become Preds fans, making SMASHVILLE what it is today.

Today I am honored to rejoin the Predators in a working capacity and I pledge to work tirelessly towards winning the Stanley Cup. I do that standing on the shoulders of the man who set that goal for us in 1998 – David Poile.

David has worked hard to create and maintain one of the best hockey operations departments in the NHL, continually investing in and improving every area of the department. He has done this while compiling the eighth best win-loss record in the league over the past 10 years, making the postseason for the past eight straight years.

As we move forward, we will continue with the high standards that are already in place for our players and staff. I am excited to see a number of young prospects grow and develop in the system now and the solid core of veterans to lead them. My decision processes will be based on doing what is right to get us moving towards our goal. I believe winning organizations have structure, commitment and accountability. That is already in place here. I have experienced how difficult it is to win the Stanley Cup, so I ask for your support and patience.

I hope to lead the Predators with the same pride, dignity, professionalism and commitment that David has for the past 25 years. I believe our team and our fan base has developed a relationship that is very unique in sports today, turning Bridgestone Arena into the “Colosseum,” as it has been known around the league.

But I recognize, as someone who has been in this great game for 25 years, that you don’t always get the results you want, so you have to pick yourself up and go after it again. Commitment is the key - the desire to be your best, the willingness to get up after defeat and continue to climb. I want this to be part of our culture and Predators DNA. I LOVE this team, I LOVE this city and I LOVE the people who make this SMASHVILLE.

I am excited to get to work!

Let’s Go Preds!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I can't help wondering if the way things have been revealed here, it doesn't partly explain some of this season's failings. The idea that Poile would let Hynes run roughshod over his 1st round picks, demoting Tomasino, pushing Fabbro down undeservedly, ultimately waiving Tolvanen... that to me is a sign of a GM not really having his eye on the ball? In some subtle way, at least, I'm sure he intended to keep trying 100%. But if you have decided already in the summer to pack it in and your replacement is already lined up and you have one foot out the door... a few of things might be easier to let fall through the cracks than would otherwise have been the case?
:dunno:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I really look at Trotz comments about a top line center and wonder if that is the first area he tries to address. A Saros trade for Byfield may do that.

From what my source has told me previously, Duchene is a "Poile guy." Will be curious to see if he is a Trotz guy. I'm watching Carolina and Buffalo in particular.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I really look at Trotz comments about a top line center and wonder if that is the first area he tries to address. A Saros trade for Byfield may do that.

From what my source has told me previously, Duchene is a "Poile guy." Will be curious to see if he is a Trotz guy. I'm watching Carolina and Buffalo in particular.
Saros for Byfield???? :eek3::oops::eek3::help:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Is Trotz actually a Preds employee yet? I assume the Isles were paying him is 4 mil that he was owed this past season. Would be really cool if they are still signing his checks and we dont get the bill until July 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad