Sportsnet: Trotz talks Maple Leafs

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Come on Trotz after 6 yrs if this team is "still learning" to just win 1 round there is an issue man

I am not sure if Trotz was being nice or if he actually believes this

:dunno:
"Still learning" is a cope to not criticize their media darling Dubas.
As a side note: "The caps/lightning took years to..." is an updated "the Kings finished eighth and still won the cup!" JFJ take.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Pretty much the same lol. I do like to hear others thoughts and opinions, but in the end it means nothing until we get some sort of sustained run in the playoffs
Yup. Compared to the playoffs, the regular season means nothing. That's why when people were celebrating our record breaking run last November, my reaction was shrug, who cares. Same thing for Marner's point streak, people are going on and on saying he's so amazing and I just don't get it - a consecutive game points streak is such a meaningless nothing burger especially during the regular season. I say save the accolades until he helps us score goals and win a game that wins us at least one playoff round FFS.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
And the point still stands: If a better option exists and we can take it then we should take it.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
The Leafs need one goal scoring power forward, who is hungry to win (Timo?). A couple of 4th liners who have a never quit physical mean streak that can play defence. I'd love to see a 3rd line that is a threat to score. A coule of dmen who play true shut down defence. I posted in another thread this team has 1 point less than last years team and 1 point more than the year before, this team is virtually the same team from last year and the year before.

Two of the bone heads who cost us two games in last years playoffs, Kerfoot and Holl are still here, waiting to to something stupid to cost us more games in this years playoffs. How does this team with inconsistent goaltending and disappearing stars get different results.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The Leafs need one goal scoring power forward, who is hungry to win (Timo?). A couple of 4th liners who have a never quit physical mean streak that can play defence. I'd love to see a 3rd line that is a threat to score. A coule of dmen who play true shut down defence. I posted in another thread this team has 1 point less than last years team and 1 point more than the year before, this team is virtually the same team from last year and the year before.

Two of the bone heads who cost us two games in last years playoffs, Kerfoot and Holl are still here, waiting to to something stupid to cost us more games in this years playoffs. How does this team with inconsistent goaltending and disappearing stars get different results.
If the refs do their jobs a bit better, we probably beat TB last year as it is. I mean I get that you'd like to add:

"A couple of 4th liners who have a never quit physical mean streak that can play defence"
and
"a 3rd line that is a threat to score"
and
"A coule of dmen who play true shut down defence"

but let's get real here, we're not turning over a third of our roster before the TDL and I think the team is probably better than you think it is.

Also, I can't agree with the bolded - the goalies have been pretty good this season and our stars played very well in the playoffs last season so yeah, maybe things aren't as bleak as you seem to think.

Reactions: vpasla1 and kb

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Yeah for sure im really glad Trotz called BB just to let him know he wasn't being predatory about the Vancouver job and wouldn't take it while Bruce was still in the seat.

Nice gesture, a real gentleman to be sure, what a pal, what a buddy, what a hero!

I'm left to wondering if he extended the same courtesy to our coach, especially after he said to the media that he'd sure be interested in coaching an original 6 team, and just when the Leafs were going through their early season stumbles.

Respect for Trotz at an all time low for me.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
If the refs do their jobs a bit better, we probably beat TB last year as it is. I mean I get that you'd like to add:

"A couple of 4th liners who have a never quit physical mean streak that can play defence"
and
"a 3rd line that is a threat to score"
and
"A coule of dmen who play true shut down defence"

but let's get real here, we're not turning over a third of our roster before the TDL and I think the team is probably better than you think it is.

Also, I can't agree with the bolded - the goalies have been pretty good this season and our stars played very well in the playoffs last season so yeah, maybe things aren't as bleak as you seem to think.

I agree we got jobbed on that Holl pick, its a play that happens multiple times every game, every team does it and the refs allow that to happen all the time BUT if it is called by the rules it's a PIM. If the refs called the game 100% according to the rulebook, we would have had at least 5 to 8 more PIMs through that series. I distinctly remember throwing's my hands up and yelling at the screen ... you got to F-ing kidding me thinking we are getting a penalty and poof like magic.. no PIM.

The team has glaring holes that need to be addressed. We are about to face a team who has lost ONE playoff round in 3 years, with a Veznia goalie and a Norris dman. For every Matthews we have they have a Stamkos, for every Marner we have they have a Kucherov. You dont want to be going into a playoff round with them on an equal footing.

Reactions: IPS

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree we got jobbed on that Holl pick, its a play that happens multiple times every game, every team does it and the refs allow that to happen all the time BUT if it is called by the rules it's a PIM. If the refs called the game 100% according to the rulebook, we would have had at least 5 to 8 more PIMs through that series. I distinctly remember throwing's my hands up and yelling at the screen ... you got to F-ing kidding me thinking we are getting a penalty and poof like magic.. no PIM.

The team has glaring holes that need to be addressed. We are about to face a team who has lost ONE playoff round in 3 years, with a Veznia goalie and a Norris dman. For every Matthews we have they have a Stamkos, for every Marner we have they have a Kucherov. You dont want to be going into a playoff round with them on an equal footing.
I dunno about "glaring holes", I would like to add a couple of bottom 6 forwards who are hard to play against as the saying goes but other than that I like our team a lot. I agree TB is tough though, should be a great series!

Reactions: meefer and kb

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
We have improved a tonne defensively, no doubt. We're one of the better defensive teams in the league.

Also agreed with this:

"I’m signing off on them learning to win," said the Winnipeg native. "I’m not signing off on the Leafs because there’s a team like Boston there, and Tampa. But I’m saying great competition — great teams like Tampa and Boston — Toronto’s learning from that. I know if you’re a Toronto fan, it’s been death by 1,000 cuts over the years, but you’ll break through. They’ll break through. It’ll happen. I don’t know if it’ll happen this year, but it’ll happen. It just will."

I do feel we're one of the top teams in the league, period. But unfortunately, so are Boston and Tampa, and with divisional playoffs we very likely have to go through both (unless by some miracle Boston get eliminated in round 1). It's possible, but I'd say us vs. Tampa is about 50/50, and we'd be moderate underdogs vs. Boston (they are the best team in the league by a wide margin). So say a 50% chance to make it to round 2, and more like 15-20% to make it to round 3.

FWIW, when I look at our various 1st round exits:

- 2017 vs Caps: we were a largely rookie team against a much better team, it was a shock we even made the playoffs. Would've taken a miracle to win
- 2018 vs Bruins: the Bruins were quite a bit better and more experienced, we did well getting to game 7
- 2019 vs Bruins: more even with AM/Mitch/Willie gaining experience, but we were still underdogs
- 2020 vs BJs: we were a significantly better team and choked
- 2021 vs Habs: we were a WAYYY better team and choked (though JT injury didn't help)
- 2022 vs Lightning: teams were very evenly matched, 50/50, series went down to the wire. I actually thought we slightly outplayed them but got a touch unlucky

So overall:
- Seasons 1/2: if anything, exceeded expectations
- Season 3: slight underdogs, had a real shot but lost in 7
- Seasons 4/5: choked, bad losses
- Season 6: played well but lost a very evenly matched series in 7

Last year is IMO the best we've ever played in the playoffs, that series on its own would not be overly disappointing, it was very disappointing because of the long history of losing. Hopefully we can ramp up our play a notch even from 2022, and make it past the Lightning at least.
We had the exact same record as CBJ and they were our worst possible matchup in play style and size mismatch, and we got shut down, I dont know why anyone considered US the favorites.

MTL decapitated our captain, but we should have won, but, the ref's allowed the Montreal D to just abuse our players all series long ...cross-check mania and Campbell letting in a softie here and there didnt help

Lightning, the refs stole that series from us in game 6, and TB got lucky in game 7, a post here and there were the difference.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I agree.
That is why I don't want to give alot of prospect and picks this year.
Depth pieces at the deadline.
Boston is almost to good this yr.Bergeron and krejic at 3.5 mil.
Next yr both Boston and TB will be in cap hell.
To me next yr is the time to go all in.
Except Dubas can’t take that chance.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Trotz also had some things to say about the Toronto Maple Leafs, a team it was once rumoured he would take over.

"No one gives Toronto any credit for how good defensively they’ve been," he said. "I think we’re starting to recognize it, but I saw it last year.

"The thing I saw with them last year is the commitment level in the playoffs. Their stars were blocking shots. They got their noses dirty a little more often. They made the simple play when they had to. They didn’t try to force things."

But he wasn't willing to crown them Stanley Cup champions just yet — at least not this year.

"I’m signing off on them learning to win," said the Winnipeg native. "I’m not signing off on the Leafs because there’s a team like Boston there, and Tampa. But I’m saying great competition — great teams like Tampa and Boston — Toronto’s learning from that. I know if you’re a Toronto fan, it’s been death by 1,000 cuts over the years, but you’ll break through. They’ll break through. It’ll happen. I don’t know if it’ll happen this year, but it’ll happen. It just will."
There stars....got there noses a little more dirty, weren't forcing plays as much.. Weird one of the best coaches in the world said this? Ive been told that the leafs lost because of out of this world goaltending by the other team at that their stars were amazing.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Sensible talk from a smart man who's an expert in his field. A refreshing change of pace from the never ending daily slew of posts saying this team "can't win".
That’s because they can’t win. Hell, they haven’t even won a playoff round yet.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Learning to win like this isn't a thing, Trotz is just talking nice for the media content. If he faced the Leafs in the playoffs this year his staff would hear his real thoughts on their playoff ineptitude.

Nobody in professional sports respects this kind of repeated choking. Five winner take all losses in a row is historically bad and I guarantee you that every year our "stars" are called losers and chokers by their opponents as they wilt and lose another series.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

You just hit the real problem on the head. Their top 4 players are spread throughout goal, forward and defence. Our top 4 are all soft scoring forwards.
we have a poorly balanced team

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
"Can't win" and "haven't won" are two completely different things.
Maybe if this core was only 2-3 maybe even 4 years in? I would agree with you. But, 6 years?? I would say that’s bordering on “Can’t win” territory at this point.

Reactions: Al14

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Maybe if this core was only 2-3 maybe even 4 years in? I would agree with you. But, 6 years?? I would say that’s bordering on “Can’t win” territory at this point.
Do you believe in black magic, voodoo, curses etc.? I ask because that's the only way "can't win" makes sense.

Also, it's a different team every year so "6 years" isn't applicable either.

Reactions: Its not your fault

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
We have improved a tonne defensively, no doubt. We're one of the better defensive teams in the league.

Also agreed with this:

I do feel we're one of the top teams in the league, period. But unfortunately, so are Boston and Tampa, and with divisional playoffs we very likely have to go through both (unless by some miracle Boston get eliminated in round 1). It's possible, but I'd say us vs. Tampa is about 50/50, and we'd be moderate underdogs vs. Boston (they are the best team in the league by a wide margin). So say a 50% chance to make it to round 2, and more like 15-20% to make it to round 3.

FWIW, when I look at our various 1st round exits:

- 2017 vs Caps: we were a largely rookie team against a much better team, it was a shock we even made the playoffs. Would've taken a miracle to win
- 2018 vs Bruins: the Bruins were quite a bit better and more experienced, we did well getting to game 7
- 2019 vs Bruins: more even with AM/Mitch/Willie gaining experience, but we were still underdogs
- 2020 vs BJs: we were a significantly better team and choked
- 2021 vs Habs: we were a WAYYY better team and choked (though JT injury didn't help)
- 2022 vs Lightning: teams were very evenly matched, 50/50, series went down to the wire. I actually thought we slightly outplayed them but got a touch unlucky

So overall:
- Seasons 1/2: if anything, exceeded expectations
- Season 3: slight underdogs, had a real shot but lost in 7
- Seasons 4/5: choked, bad losses
- Season 6: played well but lost a very evenly matched series in 7

Last year is IMO the best we've ever played in the playoffs, that series on its own would not be overly disappointing, it was very disappointing because of the long history of losing. Hopefully we can ramp up our play a notch even from 2022, and make it past the Lightning at least.

Pretty much. The caps series was phenomenal, all the games were 1 goal and 4 OT games, all of our stars rookie years.

2018 vs Bruins, put up a great fight, Kadri suspension but Boston was the better team

2019 vs Bruins, Kadri suspended again and the absolutely rigged game 2. In a 7 game series where one team gets a free win, it's going to be very difficult to win. Still fought hard, overall was a great series. We sucked in game 7, I can live with it but the game 2 officiating was brutal.

2020 vs CBJ, absolute choke job and Keefe cost us the game with his line choices. He started Tavares with Matthews/Marner, Nylander centering line 2. Because of how game 4 ended. Nylander made 2 costly mistakes and just a bad game and bad coaching.

2021 vs MTL - Some key injuries but choke job. Galchenyuk/Dermott legitimately threw 2 games, you can even say Sandin threw one as well. Just brutal.

2022 vs Tampa -We were the better team IMO, officiating in games 6 and 7 determined the outcome.

Reactions: ponder

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Do you believe in black magic, voodoo, curses etc.? I ask because that's the only way "can't win" makes sense.

Also, it's a different team every year so "6 years" isn't applicable either.
Well a bad coach is another way. This team repeats the same mistakes every single year. It is predictable now. They are even ill prepared for teams they should steamroll.

Reactions: mikeyz

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well a bad coach is another way. This team repeats the same mistakes every single year. It is predictable now. They are even ill prepared for teams they should steamroll.
Yeah I dunno, last 5 years the series came down to one game which pretty much by definition means it could have gone either way. Keefe wasn't the coach for all of them, and the teams defensive play has massively improved since he took over.

I also don't agree with "repeats the same mistakes every single year". Last year was very different from the years previous IMHO. For the first time, we battled hard until the end as opposed to just folding at the end as in previous years. If we play TB in the spring, it'll be a tossup just like last season. Maybe we'll win and maybe we won't, but saying we "can't win" is something I don't see myself ever buying into because it makes absolutely no sense unless you believe in black magic, voodoo, curses etc., which I do not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad