Sportsnet: Trotz talks Maple Leafs

horner

May 22, 2007
He's right. It's the NHL, you lose in the first round 6 years in a row, you live with that shadow, especially after puking all over yourself against CBJ and MTL, but last year was a coin toss. A goal in OT in G6 or the right bounce and they beat Tampa. Doesn't mean Tampa didn't earn it, of course they did, but a series that close comes down to a bounce at the right time. Incidentally, it's why a forward should be the top priority at the deadline. Give themselves more scoring depth so you can run a threat on 3 lines.
We just need to learn when you have a team by the throat to crush it.
From the 3rd period of game 6 we were a different team and they were for the taking.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We have improved a tonne defensively, no doubt. We're one of the better defensive teams in the league.

Also agreed with this:

"I’m signing off on them learning to win," said the Winnipeg native. "I’m not signing off on the Leafs because there’s a team like Boston there, and Tampa. But I’m saying great competition — great teams like Tampa and Boston — Toronto’s learning from that. I know if you’re a Toronto fan, it’s been death by 1,000 cuts over the years, but you’ll break through. They’ll break through. It’ll happen. I don’t know if it’ll happen this year, but it’ll happen. It just will."

I do feel we're one of the top teams in the league, period. But unfortunately, so are Boston and Tampa, and with divisional playoffs we very likely have to go through both (unless by some miracle Boston get eliminated in round 1). It's possible, but I'd say us vs. Tampa is about 50/50, and we'd be moderate underdogs vs. Boston (they are the best team in the league by a wide margin). So say a 50% chance to make it to round 2, and more like 15-20% to make it to round 3.

FWIW, when I look at our various 1st round exits:

- 2017 vs Caps: we were a largely rookie team against a much better team, it was a shock we even made the playoffs. Would've taken a miracle to win
- 2018 vs Bruins: the Bruins were quite a bit better and more experienced, we did well getting to game 7
- 2019 vs Bruins: more even with AM/Mitch/Willie gaining experience, but we were still underdogs
- 2020 vs BJs: we were a significantly better team and choked
- 2021 vs Habs: we were a WAYYY better team and choked (though JT injury didn't help)
- 2022 vs Lightning: teams were very evenly matched, 50/50, series went down to the wire. I actually thought we slightly outplayed them but got a touch unlucky

So overall:
- Seasons 1/2: if anything, exceeded expectations
- Season 3: slight underdogs, had a real shot but lost in 7
- Seasons 4/5: choked, bad losses
- Season 6: played well but lost a very evenly matched series in 7

Last year is IMO the best we've ever played in the playoffs, that series on its own would not be overly disappointing, it was very disappointing because of the long history of losing. Hopefully we can ramp up our play a notch even from 2022, and make it past the Lightning at least.

I actually think 2019 against the Bruins maybe you can make a case Kadri getting suspended again sucked but overall, we added JT, I had expectations of beating Boston. Everything after that has been super disappointing.

PS if we lose again in round 1, Trotz is my guy.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We just need to learn when you have a team by the throat to crush it.
From the 3rd period of game 6 we were a different team and they were for the taking.

Shanny echoed same sentiments after losing to Habs. 0 and 9 in games they could have closed out a series. I mean how many games does it take ??

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Yup. Not kinda, this is exactly what happened IMO. I agree with everything Trotz said but yeah, it's tremendously disappointing that a group of players with all that talent just wasted several years the way they did. You only get so many cracks at it, wasting even one is shameful and those years are gone forever. If they ever do win the cup, all will no doubt be forgiven but if they don't, they will spend the rest of their lives being reminded of those game 7's where they weren't ready to play and were run out of the rink in embarrassing fashion.
There will be hospitals, schools , parks, etc named after people on this team.

Justin Holl Secondary School
Pontus Holmberg memorial park
Kerfoot Mall

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Does that include 4-1 Bos? That was my favorite elemination game. WE HAD IT. What was yours of the 9?
Hard to pick a "favorite". Up 4-3 against Boston going into the 3rd and losing 7-4 was another "good one", as was not showing a pulse against CLB in game 5.

horner

May 22, 2007
Shanny echoed same sentiments after losing to Habs. 0 and 9 in games they could have closed out a series. I mean how many games does it take ??
I agree.
That is why I don't want to give alot of prospect and picks this year.
Depth pieces at the deadline.
Boston is almost to good this yr.Bergeron and krejic at 3.5 mil.
Next yr both Boston and TB will be in cap hell.
To me next yr is the time to go all in.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
That Washington series in 2017 was one of my favourites. No real expectations, just happy they were there and they still played pretty damn well.
That Washington series was one of the worst memories of my years following this team. Ya, it was fun hockey, but we were a year too early. Another solid draft year, controllable assets, and we held on to our UFAs because we thought we were a contender??? Ok.

Reactions: ToneDog

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
No doubt Toronto is a top team. I just don’t get peoples constant need for validation, who cares what Trotz or anyone else thinks. Reminds me of the Keefe handshake line compliments they received. Until they win, they are failures.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You didn’t comprehend his words correctly.

What about this did I not "comprehend" from the article?

"I’m signing off on them learning to win," said the Winnipeg native. "I’m not signing off on the Leafs because there’s a team like Boston there, and Tampa. But I’m saying great competition — great teams like Tampa and Boston — Toronto’s learning from that.

Reactions: Cleetus

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No doubt Toronto is a top team. I just don’t get peoples constant need for validation, who cares what Trotz or anyone else thinks. Reminds me of the Keefe handshake line compliments they received. Until they win, they are failures.
What validation? It's just an opinion, it validates nothing.

Riddle me this monsieur GoonieFace, if you don't care what Trotz or anyone else thinks, WTF are you doing wasting your time posting here?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Oh how I wish Trotz was behind the Leafs bench right now, and didn't have to wait another potential year for Soo Management to break through.

Trotz knows kind words go a long way should Toronto fail again this playoff season.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Trotz is a lock to become the next sens coach after new ownership takes over the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad