Sportsnet: Trotz talks Maple Leafs

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Trotz also had some things to say about the Toronto Maple Leafs, a team it was once rumoured he would take over.

"No one gives Toronto any credit for how good defensively they’ve been," he said. "I think we’re starting to recognize it, but I saw it last year.

"The thing I saw with them last year is the commitment level in the playoffs. Their stars were blocking shots. They got their noses dirty a little more often. They made the simple play when they had to. They didn’t try to force things."

But he wasn't willing to crown them Stanley Cup champions just yet — at least not this year.

"I’m signing off on them learning to win," said the Winnipeg native. "I’m not signing off on the Leafs because there’s a team like Boston there, and Tampa. But I’m saying great competition — great teams like Tampa and Boston — Toronto’s learning from that. I know if you’re a Toronto fan, it’s been death by 1,000 cuts over the years, but you’ll break through. They’ll break through. It’ll happen. I don’t know if it’ll happen this year, but it’ll happen. It just will."

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
He's right. It's the NHL, you lose in the first round 6 years in a row, you live with that shadow, especially after puking all over yourself against CBJ and MTL, but last year was a coin toss. A goal in OT in G6 or the right bounce and they beat Tampa. Doesn't mean Tampa didn't earn it, of course they did, but a series that close comes down to a bounce at the right time. Incidentally, it's why a forward should be the top priority at the deadline. Give themselves more scoring depth so you can run a threat on 3 lines.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kind words but winning is not inevitable in this league so we can't take comfort in that idea too much. San Jose never got there. Ottawa never got there. If it has to be through Tampa or Boston, or both this year, go through those teams. Go and do it.
It's not the first time Trotz complimented the Leafs. He once said that Auston Matthews reminded him of a young Marrio Lemieux.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We have improved a tonne defensively, no doubt. We're one of the better defensive teams in the league.

Also agreed with this:

"I’m signing off on them learning to win," said the Winnipeg native. "I’m not signing off on the Leafs because there’s a team like Boston there, and Tampa. But I’m saying great competition — great teams like Tampa and Boston — Toronto’s learning from that. I know if you’re a Toronto fan, it’s been death by 1,000 cuts over the years, but you’ll break through. They’ll break through. It’ll happen. I don’t know if it’ll happen this year, but it’ll happen. It just will."

I do feel we're one of the top teams in the league, period. But unfortunately, so are Boston and Tampa, and with divisional playoffs we very likely have to go through both (unless by some miracle Boston get eliminated in round 1). It's possible, but I'd say us vs. Tampa is about 50/50, and we'd be moderate underdogs vs. Boston (they are the best team in the league by a wide margin). So say a 50% chance to make it to round 2, and more like 15-20% to make it to round 3.

FWIW, when I look at our various 1st round exits:

- 2017 vs Caps: we were a largely rookie team against a much better team, it was a shock we even made the playoffs. Would've taken a miracle to win
- 2018 vs Bruins: the Bruins were quite a bit better and more experienced, we did well getting to game 7
- 2019 vs Bruins: more even with AM/Mitch/Willie gaining experience, but we were still underdogs
- 2020 vs BJs: we were a significantly better team and choked
- 2021 vs Habs: we were a WAYYY better team and choked (though JT injury didn't help)
- 2022 vs Lightning: teams were very evenly matched, 50/50, series went down to the wire. I actually thought we slightly outplayed them but got a touch unlucky

So overall:
- Seasons 1/2: if anything, exceeded expectations
- Season 3: slight underdogs, had a real shot but lost in 7
- Seasons 4/5: choked, bad losses
- Season 6: played well but lost a very evenly matched series in 7

Last year is IMO the best we've ever played in the playoffs, that series on its own would not be overly disappointing, it was very disappointing because of the long history of losing. Hopefully we can ramp up our play a notch even from 2022, and make it past the Lightning at least.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kind words but winning is not inevitable in this league so we can't take comfort in that idea too much. San Jose never got there. Ottawa never got there. If it has to be through Tampa or Boston, or both this year, go through those teams. Go and do it.
I wouldn't call them "kind words", he's not being kind, he's just telling it like it is. And you're right, there is of course zero reason to "take comfort" in those words, who gets comfort out of being capable of winning? Like you said, go and do it. This is a good team that is capable of winning, but they have yet to do it. They get another chance a few months from now to win and as whoever it was once said, winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. Win!

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
The truth isn't always kind. The Leafs are a really good team. Dubas will add to that. All that being said. Boston and Tampa aren't going anywhere. They will get better at the deadline too. It's what makes the playoffs great. And for us heart breaking. I'm in my 60's. I tell my friends I still haven't seen my best sports moment. I hope I'm right. :)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They had almost complete buy in last year against TB and if they can get a couple more to make the sacrifice they should win the first round.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Leafs are beginning to learn how to use a multi-tools in team strategy. Under Babs, they were committed to the stretch pass. Defensively, you uncluttered your players to intercept the puck. Immediately after Babs, they shunned the stretch pass and moved to controlled zone exit and entries. Teams defend by a trap like clustering.
Against NYI the other night, the leafs brought both. Structured possession and stretch passes forces the other team to play with skill and negates defensive structure that protects the lesser players of other teams. By keeping them guessing, they are forced to skate and keep on top of the puck constantly. I am comfortable with the leafs prevailing if it came down to skill.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
"The thing I saw with them last year is the commitment level in the playoffs. Their stars were blocking shots. They got their noses dirty a little more often. They made the simple play when they had to. They didn’t try to force things."
Wow and it only took them multiple first round losses to start doing that....kinda

Reactions: glue

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wow and it only took them multiple first round losses to start doing that....kinda
Yup. Not kinda, this is exactly what happened IMO. I agree with everything Trotz said but yeah, it's tremendously disappointing that a group of players with all that talent just wasted several years the way they did. You only get so many cracks at it, wasting even one is shameful and those years are gone forever. If they ever do win the cup, all will no doubt be forgiven but if they don't, they will spend the rest of their lives being reminded of those game 7's where they weren't ready to play and were run out of the rink in embarrassing fashion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad