Sportsnet: Trotz talks Maple Leafs

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Do you believe in black magic, voodoo, curses etc.? I ask because that's the only way "can't win" makes sense.

Also, it's a different team every year so "6 years" isn't applicable either.
I didn’t say team. I said core.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Lol we had top 5 odds to win the cup since 2017. Not really news if someone points out we have a good chance to win.

Trotz comments are useless unless he has a suggestion for our flaws the GM sucks at fixing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I didn’t say team. I said core.
OK same core. I will repeat my question which you haven't answered:

Do you believe in black magic, voodoo, curses etc.? I ask because that's the only way "can't win" makes sense.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
OK same core. I will repeat my question which you haven't answered:

Of course not. But I am just saying that there has to be a certain point where you have to come to the realization that a group of players just can't win. And 6 years is more then generous.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
So overall:
- Seasons 1/2: if anything, exceeded expectations
- Season 3: slight underdogs, had a real shot but lost in 7
- Seasons 4/5: choked, bad losses
- Season 6: played well but lost a very evenly matched series in 7

That's a rather generous way of framing it, but I get that some want to remain positive.
Personally, the first two I give them a pass just barely. Sure, the were big underdogs in both but it's not like underdogs never rise up and beat the odds. Happens virtually every post-season.

But since then they've had a 3-2 (or better series) lead in the 3 of the 4 and lost them all. Once you can forgive, but 3 in 4 years, sorry, doesn't matter who the opponent is, you had the other team on the ropes in each one with 2 (or more) attempts to finish them off and failed. That's a pattern of choking.

And in the other one (Columbus) they were a no-show in 4 of the 5 games, save for a 3-minute goalie-pulled miracle stretch in g4 to push the series to a deciding game. Then they choked in the final.

So to me, the simplest way to think about it is that it's 4 straight years they were as good or better than their opponent and they lost them all. And the result is that this "breakthrough" we are waiting for, I worry that if they just get to the 2nd round, is that it? Okay, at least they can win one, let's just re-tool for next year?

To me, 7 years with a single series victory is only fractionally better than 6 years with none. A breakthrough should really be considered no less than a conference final.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Of course not. But I am just saying that there has to be a certain point where you have to come to the realization that a group of players just can't win. And 6 years is more then generous.
I understand being skeptical of their chances, the word "can't" just doesn't make sense as it implies a 0% chance of success which is clearly wrong.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Dubas has managed the entire year like he only needs to win one round, and I don’t think anything has changed.

That’s entirely possible, which is why you can’t let him make any moves without consent from above.
He is the GM. He can make the moves he chooses to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad