Trotz and Barzal

isles93

Jul 8, 2006
New York
I am doubtful that Barzal will repeat his 85 point season under Trotz defensive system. That is not saying I don’t think he will be effective but how many points do you think Is reasonable under Trotz?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am doubtful that Barzal will repeat his 85 point season under Trotz defensive system. That is not saying I don’t think he will be effective but how many points do you think Is reasonable under Trotz?

Given that a bulk of Barzal's points are on the PP or carrying the puck through the neutral zone I am not sure Trotz's system will effect those aspects that much(unless he sets up a terrible PP system)

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I will be conservative, guess a bit of a sophmore slump for Barzy

15ish goals, 40ish assists

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm not sure we're going to be seeing Beauvillier - Barzal - Eberle as a line next year.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Given that a bulk of Barzal's points are on the PP or carrying the puck through the neutral zone I am not sure Trotz's system will effect those aspects that much(unless he sets up a terrible PP system)

Agreed.

I think you also have to factor in the deployment strategy. Barzal should be getting a lot more offensive zone faceoffs now that he's the tip of the sword. We're back to the one line team dynamic so he's likely to be put in the most favorable offensive conditions possible. He may struggle against the more difficult matchups, but he showed last year he can handle them and still thrive. He's going to need to wear his big boy pants, but he showed he's got game.

I think he'll be at his usual PPG pace all year. Wouldn't be surprised if he booms and hits 90+, he will be certainly be provided the opportunity. His game is made for today's NHL.

Reactions: dood

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I don't think anyone - not even Barzal himself - would be opposed to him scoring less but team having more success. It's not about individual statistics. That said, he's going to be fine. I'm glad he's getting a chance to develop under a real NHL coach and not someone like Weight.

isles93

Jul 8, 2006
New York
He only had 27 power play points last year but to your point he will be the first option on every power play next year. That should increase his production a a bit

Reactions: Islander Class

isles93

Jul 8, 2006
New York
I don't think anyone - not even Barzal himself - would be opposed to him scoring less but team having more success. It's not about individual statistics. That said, he's going to be fine. I'm glad he's getting a chance to develop under a real NHL coach and not someone like Weight.
Oh no doubt. I just don’t think he can put up the numbers he did in a defensive minded system.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ovechkin and kuznetsov had 80+ points last year. Backstrom had 80+ the year before.

Not sure sure why Barzal couldn't do the same under trotz.

Re-read what you wrote...

All three of them are together. Who is doing that with Barzal?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I dont get why everyone is referring to the Trotz "system" as being an issue for a team's offense. He might have a more conservative approach in the defensive zone (I would call it more organized) than we have been playing recently, but this not like the Devils neutral zone trap. Did you watch the Caps in the playoffs? Trotz has a very aggressive system in the neutral zone and offensive zone.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Barzal should be getting a lot more offensive zone faceoffs now that he's the tip of the sword.

To be honest I am not sure offensive zone starts will benefit Barzal much. His best bet to score a goal is on the rush where teams can't set up defensively

Reactions: Chairman Wang

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Oh no doubt. I just don’t think he can put up the numbers he did in a defensive minded system.

I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do it. I think he's going to work hard on his game and grow into a truly great player, so his production might get even higher even with the more defensive minded system. Maybe not next season, but in two years? Why not.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I suspect we'll see a step back in production from Barzal due to facing the top checking assignments that you used to go to Tavares, as well as a more restrictive system. That said, I don't see it being drastic, my guess is he puts up around 70ish points, which would still be legit first line numbers.

Reactions: Islander Class

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Have to admit that looking at it from Trotz' perspective, going from a team with Backstrom, Ovechkin, Holtsby, Carlson, Niskanen, Kuznetsov, et al to the NYI roster has to be a bit of a shock to the system.

Barry will HAVE to change his system for this roster, because the parts listed above are all vastly better than pretty much anything the NYI have. I know he's getting paid a lot but the talent that idiot Garf assembled compared to the SC champs is miles apart right now. We ARE going to be the Washington Generals this coming season.

The only thing that makes sense is a true five year plan - but this time from experienced team management who has done it before, unlike 12 years given to a former backup goaltender with ZERO team management/drafting experience.

I just fear we will suck for the next several years to get there. Wasn't happy losing JT but that is a crushing blow as our roster after the second line is garbage and badly overpaid, our D utterly sucks and we don't even have a starting goalie right now (they need to sign Lehner who I like).

We're going to be in a tough spot for a while, I think... :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad