Trotz and Barzal

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
I would go:

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Bellows - Beauv. - Bailey
Reason I like this is that it keeps Barzal and Eberle together.

I have always liked Beau's game. Slotting him between Bailey and Bellows as a 2C puts responsibility on him that I think will help him thrive.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
I don't think anyone - not even Barzal himself - would be opposed to him scoring less but team having more success. It's not about individual statistics. That said, he's going to be fine. I'm glad he's getting a chance to develop under a real NHL coach and not someone like Weight.
The obvious question that individual statistics raises is how do you replace those that were scored by he whose name will never again cross my lips. As I've said elsewhere, improvement on defense which I believe we will see will mitigate the loss of the scoring brought by he whose name will never again pass my lips. And I think the team is ready to buy into a strong defensive philosophy after last year's barn fire.

Defense in any sport, particularly in basketball and hockey in which the defender can turn into an offensive threat in a split second requires commitment to the system. The great NY Knicks teams of the early 70s bought into Red Holzman's defensive scheme (characterized by the repeated reminder "see the ball, see the ball") and their success at the offensive end fed off their defense.

No Knick was in the top 5 in any offensive category in 1969-70 save for Walt Frazier who was second in assists. Team was ninth in offense but first in defense and their points allowed was 6 points better than their nearest competitor.,

All this is a longwinded way of saying - we now have a coach who recognizes that you succeed with defense. His prior success at his two earlier stops and his cup win ought to go a long way in convincing the team to buy into the system.

Now, it may not gell immediately. But as I have said elsewhere, I think Lou is strengthening the team at the defensive end. That is where even we non-professionals fully understood that the problem lay.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Trotz' defense "System" will not hamper any of these players offensively. In fact, better structure and discipline in the defenseive lone will lead to less shots against and higher possession, thus should actually lead to more offensive possession and zone time because we're not getting pegged in for 2 minutes at a time.

Don't think Barzal suffers offensively at all. He may get few points but this would likely just because he'll be going up against tougher matchups and that once you're at a PPG, it's tough to improve. Think it is just as likely he grows and maybe hits 90 points than it is he gets less than 75.

Reactions: dood

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Trotz' defense "System" will not hamper any of these players offensively. In fact, better structure and discipline in the defenseive lone will lead to less shots against and higher possession, thus should actually lead to more offensive possession and zone time because we're not getting pegged in for 2 minutes at a time.

Don't think Barzal suffers offensively at all. He may get few points but this would likely just because he'll be going up against tougher matchups and that once you're at a PPG, it's tough to improve. Think it is just as likely he grows and maybe hits 90 points than it is he gets less than 75.

You don't understand barzals level of skill. Barzal is a 100pt player.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Reason I like this is that it keeps Barzal and Eberle together.

I have always liked Beau's game. Slotting him between Bailey and Bellows as a 2C puts responsibility on him that I think will help him thrive.
Thanks , basically my thought progress as well

Reactions: MIK55

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think his points will be similar, but I think he'll have more goals and less assists. He likes the pretty pass to set up line mates, but there were times last year I wished he'd shoot more. Hopefully Trotz feels the same way. Our whole team tried to get too pretty on offense last year.

Reactions: dood

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
59-79

That's the range Kuznetsov was in during his first few years under Trotz.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Im expecting 70-90 pts. He either takes a bit of a dive or ramps it up a notch.

He saw first pairing D for half a season and increased his production. My guess is he’ll be stronger, smarter, and more polished this year w development.

DonLou13

Jun 18, 2018
  • frankly I dont care if Barzal has 65 points or he has 95 points, his line mates, who will be getting first line minutes is where I'm looking at. If beau and eberle are his first line mates, i wouldn't be surprised to see 30-30 for everly and 25-45 for beau

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Have to admit that looking at it from Trotz' perspective, going from a team with Backstrom, Ovechkin, Holtsby, Carlson, Niskanen, Kuznetsov, et al to the NYI roster has to be a bit of a shock to the system.

Barry will HAVE to change his system for this roster, because the parts listed above are all vastly better than pretty much anything the NYI have. I know he's getting paid a lot but the talent that idiot Garf assembled compared to the SC champs is miles apart right now. We ARE going to be the Washington Generals this coming season.

The only thing that makes sense is a true five year plan - but this time from experienced team management who has done it before, unlike 12 years given to a former backup goaltender with ZERO team management/drafting experience.

I just fear we will suck for the next several years to get there. Wasn't happy losing JT but that is a crushing blow as our roster after the second line is garbage and badly overpaid, our D utterly sucks and we don't even have a starting goalie right now (they need to sign Lehner who I like).

We're going to be in a tough spot for a while, I think... :(

I hear ya on some of this- but overall too bleak IMHO. LL got TOR turned around in less than 3 years- and with less to work with coming in (at least in terms of players he actually wanted to keep- think there are only three still on the team today). Next year may be choppy/transitional- but if the goal (as I think it should be) is to deliver a highly competitive, Eastern Conference contender by the time we hit Belmont in 3 years than I see no reason why we couldn’t get there on time. LL & Trotz are going to speed things along IMHO- both obviously and less obviously...

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
To be honest I am not sure offensive zone starts will benefit Barzal much. His best bet to score a goal is on the rush where teams can't set up defensively

It really won't make a difference - he'll just keep circling the zone to build up speed and drag defenders out of position. He's a stud.

To the point of the thread, if he does see a decline in points it will probably be due to missing JT and/or typical sophomore slump factors. I don't think Trotz's system will have much of an impact on the way he plays.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Please no leave Barzal's line alone. Let someone else carry Bailey
Yup. The Chia line should stay as is. Tony B - Barzal -Eberle. We really do need a 2c to set up Bailey and Lee. This was a pretty weak free agency class, so we’ll have to trade for one or go on a retool for a few years.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
does anyone have his WHL stats for faceoff pctg ?

he took approx 800 faceoffs last season with a 43% rate ; in comparision , JT's 18 year old season 09-10 , he took approx 1100 faceoffs with 47% pctg.

JT improved to 53% in his sophmore season

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I would not give him the C just yet.
It is too much unnecessary pressure.

He is becoming the new face of the franchise, the #1C. Let him focus on that and not the captain's role right now.
That’s a fair assessment. I think I may still be stuck in the fallout of other events. Looking for a captain. Got me talking to myself like Bernie Mac.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
definately too early to offer him the ''C'' just yet . Beauvillier already seems to get along great with him so lets see how he's able to rub off on the next wave of young isles that join team in the coming seasons .

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
does anyone have his WHL stats for faceoff pctg ?

he took approx 800 faceoffs last season with a 43% rate ; in comparision , JT's 18 year old season 09-10 , he took approx 1100 faceoffs with 47% pctg.

JT improved to 53% in his sophmore season
I have no stats. Nor do I have any desire to look up face off stats. But I think it improves with experience.

Reactions: ndgolden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad