Trotz and Barzal

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am doubtful that Barzal will repeat his 85 point season under Trotz defensive system. That is not saying I don’t think he will be effective but how many points do you think Is reasonable under Trotz?
Trotz's system is not one that the corsi fans will love. The Caps won the cup despite being the 24th worst corsi team in the NHL. Which is deceiving. Because It features a quick counter attack where quality shots are rewarded rather than quantity. Quick transition, with a pounce and opportunistic approach that Kuzy and Backstrom benefited from. I believe Barzal will be just fine. His strengths are attacking on the rush, his passing is one of allowing his linemates high quality chances. Trotz is going to help Barzal's game, not hinder it IMO. If his teammates can finish, Barzal will be close or over 80 points again if he plays 82 again.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm more interested in seeing what Trotz can do with lines 3-4 and the defense/goaltending. Barzal's going to generate his chances and draw penalties.

The biggest question mark next season is can the rest of the team be better than they were last season?

It felt like last season they had two first lines, two fourth lines, one second pairing, two third pairings, and two below average backup goaltenders (now whether that was because of the team in front of them or not I'm not sure, but that's what the numbers were at the end of the day).

If they can develop two second lines and a third line out of lines 3-4, have all three pairings playing at a "second pairing" level, and get ~.915 Sv% out of two goaltenders, they may sniff a wildcard.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm more interested in seeing what Trotz can do with lines 3-4 and the defense/goaltending. Barzal's going to generate his chances and draw penalties.

The biggest question mark next season is can the rest of the team be better than they were last season?

It felt like last season they had two first lines, two fourth lines, one second pairing, two third pairings, and two below average backup goaltenders (now whether that was because of the team in front of them or not I'm not sure, but that's what the numbers were at the end of the day).

If they can develop two second lines and a third line out of lines 3-4, have all three pairings playing at a "second pairing" level, and get ~.915 Sv% out of two goaltenders, they may sniff a wildcard.
And not have a 73% PK

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Given that a bulk of Barzal's points are on the PP or carrying the puck through the neutral zone I am not sure Trotz's system will effect those aspects that much(unless he sets up a terrible PP system)

Yeah, I'm not worried about Trotz system at all, but I'm sure Barzal's points will go down on the PP as well as there is no Tr91tor to draw some attention out there.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I am doubtful that Barzal will repeat his 85 point season under Trotz defensive system. That is not saying I don’t think he will be effective but how many points do you think Is reasonable under Trotz?

If this team is a playoff team and he leads the team in scoring with just 60 points, I'd definitely say that something is being done right.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, I'm not worried about Trotz system at all, but I'm sure Barzal's points will go down on the PP as well as there is no Tr91tor to draw some attention out there.
We'll see, Tavares didn't draw a ton of attention. The PP ran through either Barzal or Bailey on the wings. JT high and Lee low.

Reactions: CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
We'll see, Tavares didn't draw a ton of attention. The PP ran through either Barzal or Bailey on the wings. JT high and Lee low.

If the Isles continue to run that “1-3-1 formation,” having a more natural shooter in the high slot might work out very well... Ladd, Nelson, Beuvillier. One glaring issue will be face-offs though.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
I would not give him the C just yet.
It is too much unnecessary pressure.

He is becoming the new face of the franchise, the #1C. Let him focus on that and not the captain's role right now.
Agreed.

As we saw with the previous wearer of the "C," that honor cannot be given until the player has matured not only as a player but as an individual off the ice and outside of the game. Giving it to him now would be premature.

He has the capability of being a great and vocal leader, I think. But he's only 21, for goodness' sake. Denis Potvin did not become Captain until he was 26.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Barzal SHOULD be fine. He generates a lot of his offense from retrieving the puck low and gaining the zone on the counter attack.

Trotz, defensive structure seems to rely on maintaining position, conceding low risk shots and counter attacking in quick transitions upon puck retrieval. It should be a positive for Barzal.

Only glaring deficiency in Barzal’s defensive game that I noticed was his tendency to lose his man in front of the net. He tended to focus on the puck (lol, probably thinking to himself... I can get that). Opposing player would then get behind him for some easy shots.

What I do think COULD impact Barzal’s production is:

- Sophmore slump (it’s s real)

- Line shifting, as new coaches try to figure out what they have

- Loss of last year’s second line center ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If the Isles continue to run that “1-3-1 formation,” having a more natural shooter in the high slot might work out very well... Ladd, Nelson, Beuvillier. One glaring issue will be face-offs though.
I'm assuming they will given that Gomez is still here. Fine with any of those three. Want Pulock involved as well instead of Leddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->