Trivia thread, the revival

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Based on your clue I'll say that he was the first player to be capped for Italy from a foreign club.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Alas, that's not it either.

The question of who was the first player capped by Italy while playing for a foreign club is one I in fact can't find the answer to!

The best guess I have, mind you, would be extraordinary were it to turn out to be true.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’ll have some good Liverpool and Liverpool adjacent questions after tonight

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Alas, that's not it either.

The question of who was the first player capped by Italy while playing for a foreign club is one I in fact can't find the answer to!

The best guess I have, mind you, would be extraordinary were it to turn out to be true.

My sources would suggest Cesare Presca representing Italy at the 1948 Olympic Games while playing for US Triestina of the independent Free Territory of Trieste. But because Triestina was the Italian league team of the territory (Ponziana being the Yugoslav one) one could argue that it doesn't count. In that case the answer would apparently be Roberto Donadoni of the NY/NJ MetroStars in 1996.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Miguel Montuori was (drum roll, Errol)...

...the first foreign-born player to captain the Italian national team.

As another digression, while the full list of such players is short, it contains a name that might attract the interest of a fair few people here.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I'd like to bear good news to a presumed Joy Division fan, however, that's not the answer I was looking for. Montuori was the first foreign-born player to captain the Italian national team.

I might take offense at the word "presumed" but the offense is mitigated by the fact that you know the band. Don't spread the word.

I think both are true but unfortunately I gave the answer you were not looking for: D

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
If Joy Division were a player, which player would it be?

I'd suggest it needs to be a creative player with a reputation for a degree of introversion or fragility whose career has a degree of incompleteness about it.

Both are retired now, alas, but Valeron and Riquelme come to mind. Possibly Bergkamp.

Robbie Rensenbrink, if you want to go even further back. Sandor Kocsis and Mathias Sindelar are suitably tragic figures, unless we disqualify Kocsis on account of his heading.

Ironically enough, I can't think of an England player who fits the bill. Glenn Hoddle comes near, but he's surely a Phil Collins type.

Come to think of it - maybe Roberto Baggio is the best bet.

Reactions: Incubajerks

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I'd suggest it needs to be a creative player with a reputation for a degree of introversion or fragility whose career has a degree of incompleteness about it.

Both are retired now, alas, but Valeron and Riquelme come to mind. Possibly Bergkamp.

Robbie Rensenbrink, if you want to go even further back. Sandor Kocsis and Mathias Sindelar are suitably tragic figures, unless we disqualify Kocsis on account of his heading.

Ironically enough, I can't think of an England player who fits the bill. Glenn Hoddle comes near, but he's surely a Phil Collins type.

Come to think of it - maybe Roberto Baggio is the best bet.

Nice post, I like the Riquelme and Baggio idea.
What you ironically suggest that you don't find an English player is very true. It is also true that probably if they were a team it is impossible not to think of United and Grande Torino! Maybe!

Reactions: gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Nice post, I like the Riquelme and Baggio idea.
What you ironically suggest that you don't find an English player is very true. It is also true that probably if they were a team it is impossible not to think of United and Grande Torino! Maybe!

The first thing that came to my mind as well!

As for player, I thought of partial transition from Joy Division to New Order, and thought of Ruud Gullit's career arc and different roles.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Read an interesting number today...

Without looking it up, what are the 3 highest transfer fees for a spanish player ?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Definitely Morata as one. Maybe even as two.

Kepa as definitely another.

Then either Torres to Chelsea or someone who was good coming to mind.

All huge failures.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, Kepa (Chelsea) then Morata (Chelsea) and then Torres (to Chelsea).
In fact, when you look further down the list :
Mendieta (Lazio)
Fabregas (Barca)
Fabregas (Chelsea)
Mata (to United)
Villa (to Barca)
Javi Martinez (Bayern)
Torres (to Liverpool)
Costa (Chelsea)
Vitolo (Atletico)
Ander Herrera (United)

Many of them were complete disasters. A few only have been decent. Few were successes.
Worth noting that Chelsea is a regular customer with very few successes.

Reactions: ecemleafs

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Since 2000, which of the following leagues has had the most number of different teams win the league? (How many different clubs have won for example Serie A since 2000 is another way to phrase it)

PL
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
La Liga

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Since 2000, which of the following leagues has had the most number of different teams win the league? (How many different clubs have won for example Serie A since 2000 is another way to phrase it)

PL
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
La Liga

PL:6 (Arsenal, Manchester United, Leicester, Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool)
Serie A:4 (Inter, Juve, AC Milan, Roma)
La Liga:4 (Barca, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Valencia)
Bundesliga:6 (Bayern, Bayer, Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Stuttgart Werder)
Ligue 1:7 (Monaco, Lyon, PSG, St. Etienne, Bourdeaux, Marseille, Lille)

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
For all chest thumping EPL only had 5 different winners prior to LFC 's win this year, 2 team league la liga had 4. lol. Bundesliga which people trash on here regularly is also surprising.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
PL:6 (Arsenal, Manchester United, Leicester, Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool)
Serie A:4 (Inter, Juve, AC Milan, Roma)
La Liga:4 (Barca, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Valencia)
Bundesliga:6 (Bayern, Bayer, Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Stuttgart Werder)
Ligue 1:7 (Monaco, Lyon, PSG, St. Etienne, Bourdeaux, Marseille, Lille)

Close. All correct except Ligue 1

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Definitely Morata as one. Maybe even as two.

Kepa as definitely another.

Then either Torres to Chelsea or someone who was good coming to mind.

All huge failures.
Torres wound up playing more games for Chelsea than he did for Liverpool. That always surprises me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad