Trivia thread, the revival

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Probably some South-American from way back.

My first thought was that, and I assumed it would be Stabile, who won the Golden Boot in 1930.

But when I looked it up, lo and behold another player scored a hat-trick two days before him in that same tournament.

I'll not answer, in case someone knows without referring to the net as I did. But it's a corker of an answer.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Yeah, I remember the 1938 top scorer Leonidas scored a hat-trick, but maybe somebody else from the previous tournaments did that as well.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
My first thought was that, and I assumed it would be Stabile, who won the Golden Boot in 1930.

But when I looked it up, lo and behold another player scored a hat-trick two days before him in that same tournament.

I'll not answer, in case someone knows without referring to the net as I did. But it's a corker of an answer.
OK, I mean anything can happen but that came out of the left field. I looked it up.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Oh yeah Stabile, is he not the first hat-trick scorer? Weird international career, never played for Argentina after the WC as he left to play in Europe.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Having read the story of the hattrick I have a question. When I was a child, a hattrick was considered to be 3 consecutive goals by one player in one halftime. It has softened up over the years (first by allowing other players of your team scoring as well and so on) to where we are now. Is that a general thing or only here?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Having read the story of the hattrick I have a question. When I was a child, a hattrick was considered to be 3 consecutive goals by one player in one halftime. It has softened up over the years (first by allowing other players of your team scoring as well and so on) to where we are now. Is that a general thing or only here?

I just know it as scoring 3 goals in a game.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Sounds like your describing a hockey natural hat trick. I've never heard of a hat trick being anything other than 1 player scoring 3 goals in a game.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Sounds like your describing a hockey natural hat trick. I've never heard of a hat trick being anything other than 1 player scoring 3 goals in a game.
There was a distiction in soccer in Germany as well. Commentators always talked about a "lesser" hattrick for not being strictly a natural. It has completely vanished.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

A hat trick has always been any three-goal game by a player as long as I can remember (ie from the mid 80s). However, I think once upon a time the classical definition may indeed have been three consecutive goals (maybe Germany held on to the older definition longer out of a sense of preserving the game's traditions).

It's bears mention that the term originates from cricket, where it is applied to a bowler putting out a batsman with three consecutive legal balls.

Reactions: GB

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
A hat trick has always been any three-goal game by a player as long as I can remember (ie from the mid 80s). However, I think once upon a time the classical definition may indeed have been three consecutive goals (maybe Germany held on to the older definition longer out of a sense of preserving the game's traditions).

It's bears mention that the term originates from cricket, where it is applied to a bowler putting out a batsman with three consecutive legal balls.
I heard that it came from cricket a while ago but I completely forgot about it. Interesting.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
No takers?

I think unless someone produces an answer by the end of 1 August, you should put us out of our misery.

I could give the answer, but only because I cheated and looked it up. But I think given the location of this board, it would be a nice piece of history for people to learn.

Of course, anyone uninterested in history will be left cold. But then again, to anyone uninterested by history I wave a dismissive hand.

Reactions: Ivan13

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I think unless someone produces an answer by the end of 1 August, you should put us out of our misery.

I could give the answer, but only because I cheated and looked it up. But I think given the location of this board, it would be a nice piece of history for people to learn.

Of course, anyone uninterested in history will be left cold. But then again, to anyone uninterested by history I wave a dismissive hand.
i thought the nature of this board would have led someone to get the answer.

the answer is bert patenaude. an american who played in the inaugural 1930 world cup. patenaude was initially only credited with 2 goals against paraguay (usa credited a 3rd goal to patenaude, an other agency credited the goal as an own goal, and fifa credited the goal to another american).

guillermo stabile scored a hat trick 2 days later for argentina and was credited with scoring the first world cup hat trick until 2006 when fifa officially recognized that patenaude scored all 3 goals for the usa against paraguay.

Bert Patenaude, the forgotten hero who scored the first ever World Cup hat-trick

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Back to this thread.

Which club has won most domestic top division league titles in history?

The answer might change already after this year, and personally I thought, that the club sitting 2nd on the list were by now at the top of it.

Reactions: robertmac43

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My first instinct says Rangers, but I guess it's too easy and it's something more obscure?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It is Rangers with 54, but Linfield (Belfast) is 2nd with 53.

And as Linfield are leading their league again, they could tie Rangers by the end of season (if it gets finished). I thought they were already ahead because it's been a long time since Rangers last won.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Which player has played for 12 teams in 7 countries in 20 years, including many big teams?
He's won 2 CLs, 4 league titles, 3 domestic cups and 1 major NT title.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->