OT - NO POLITICS Trick or Treat, Foliage, and possibly Snow Oh NO!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well for October it is warmer than usual here in Southrn NH. This week it is in the 70s.

Snow here for Halloween is a bit unusal but it has happened. After the hot, humid and wet Summer I welcome Fall (my favorite season).

Reactions: shelbysdad

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Well for October it is warmer than usual here in Southrn NH. This week it is in the 70s.

Snow here for Halloween is a bit unusal but it has happened. After the hot, humid and wet Summer I welcome Fall (my favorite season).
I enjoy fall too and spring. This summer I did not enjoy as there were too many rainy days and too much humidity. I had a lot of outdoor things to do like painting on our property but with humidity and rain I got none done. The wet snow at Halloween is a common thing here but I am hoping we have a mild and not a lot of snow winter. I hope all of the summer rain curtails the snow. The first year we bought a new snow blower we got maybe one storm and a few light dustings I got to try it one time. As I am nearing retirement I find it safer for myself to snow blow that lift shoveling and one light storms I just push the snow across the driveway one way and once the sun pops out we have our black driveway back.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The fall colors here are lame right now, we have yet to have a strong frost & from the looks of things that won't happen until most of the leaves have fallen.

Bummer.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
The fall colors here are lame right now, we have yet to have a strong frost & from the looks of things that won't happen until most of the leaves have fallen.

Bummer.
The colors here are ok but up north in Franconia they are very vivid, lots of red and orange and mixture of yellows too. Coldest temp here this fall is 41 so no frost yet in the Lakes Region.

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I enjoy fall too and spring. This summer I did not enjoy as there were too many rainy days and too much humidity. I had a lot of outdoor things to do like painting on our property but with humidity and rain I got none done. The wet snow at Halloween is a common thing here but I am hoping we have a mild and not a lot of snow winter. I hope all of the summer rain curtails the snow. The first year we bought a new snow blower we got maybe one storm and a few light dustings I got to try it one time. As I am nearing retirement I find it safer for myself to snow blow that lift shoveling and one light storms I just push the snow across the driveway one way and once the sun pops out we have our black driveway back.
I have lived here for 23 years. The first 7 years we lost electricity 4 times in the dead of Winter for 4+ days each time. I would do my best to keep a fire going in my fireplace so the pipes wouldn't freeze but even though it looks nice the fireplace doesn't produce much heat. It is ok for a day but then everything is too cold. I would pack up the 3 cats and bring them to my Mom's house in Mass.

After Mom passed away and we had to sell her house I said screw this and started looking into generators. My neighbor has a Generac that runs on gasoline. He said it works great but eats through a lot of gas and what if you can't get out to get more? Also you have to store gas and test the generator monthly...so I used the $$ I had put aside to fix my floors and bought a standby Generac that runs on natural gas, turns itself on weekly to check itself and works great. I got it in October (years ago) and we had no winter that year :laugh:.

It works great and I have never been sorry. Once a year they change the oil and check it out. I had to replace the battery (looks like a car battery) last year. If a blizzard is coming I just make sure I have enough cat food , tea and a good book.

I can remember a few years ago we lost electricity in the Fall due to some hurricane . My neighbor ( I have a condex and she lives on the other side) asked if she could put some stuff in my fridge. When she came over I was doing laundry...she said "now you are just showing off".

My driveway is very steep so I have it plowed. I fractured my back years ago and am not supposed to shovel.

I like all the seasons. Summer sucked this year though and my least favorite weather is the hot and humid. We usually have a week or so of that humid crap but this year was bad. I hope it is not a sign of things to come.

Good Lord...Sorry I should just write a book

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Remember dont let ur kids swim in pickles

F5EBEBC6-8271-47A4-B4BF-56531927034B.jpeg

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Microsoft can take their two factor authentication crap and stuff it.

It's more like 42 factors, three phones, two computers, and a mountain goat. Just to read your email.

:damnpc::damnpc::damnpc::damnpc::damnpc:

Wait until you see what you have to do to get Windows 11 to work....

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Microsoft can take their two factor authentication crap and stuff it.

It's more like 42 factors, three phones, two computers, and a mountain goat. Just to read your email.

:damnpc::damnpc::damnpc::damnpc::damnpc:

My computer had an update for something, when it booted back up it wanted my microsoft password....like i know that....its in a file on my computer that obviously I couldn't get to.

So I chose the email me a pwd option. I had to use my phone since I couldn't use the computer

Lets me in, says I need to change the pwd, typical 8 characters, capital letter, etc
Before I entered it, I accidently hit return key....

So did it ask for me to re-enter it? Nope, logged me right in

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My computer had an update for something, when it booted back up it wanted my microsoft password....like i know that....its in a file on my computer that obviously I couldn't get to.

So I chose the email me a pwd option. I had to use my phone since I couldn't use the computer

Lets me in, says I need to change the pwd, typical 8 characters, capital letter, etc
Before I entered it, I accidently hit return key....

So did it ask for me to re-enter it? Nope, logged me right in
Today I tried to log in to our HRIS.

"We're sending you an email with the code."

Fine. Enter the code, then it asks me to enter a phone number. I enter my phone number.

"Would you like us to call you or text you with the code you'll need to log in."

At this point I could be any yo-yo entering any random phone number. How is this more secure????

They text me the second code. I enter it and thankfully notice the little box you can check that tells them to remember this computer for 30 days. So I guess I'll be doing this 12 times a year.

:skeptic:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'm so happy my laptop isn't compatible with Windows 11 so I don't ever have to upgrade until I buy a new computer.

The security features required by Windows 11 are good things. However, they are not going to be set for people who have PCs that are not new.
Secure Boot is standard in BIOS for new Motherboards. However, most still use Legacy mode for compatibility. A few have dual compatibility and will get lucky.
The problem I see is the OS drive formatting must be in EFI mode and not Legacy.

For wide compatibility, I am running my PC in Legacy. To change this I will have to completely format my OS drive, install the Win10 from their media file install, set formatting install to EFI, and then patch/update overnight.

This also does not take into account compatibility issues with Win11 to older software. I am not aware of any large issues, but I have mission-critical older apps I run on my PC that cannot have their uptime jeopardized.

Gonna wait on Win11 for now, personally. I do have a friend who went through the hoops and he says that so far Win11 is mainly a UI change and some additional security. That's about it.

Anyone else knows more, please enlighten me.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The security features required by Windows 11 are good things. However, they are not going to be set for people who have PCs that are not new.
Secure Boot is standard in BIOS for new Motherboards. However, most still use Legacy mode for compatibility. A few have dual compatibility and will get lucky.
The problem I see is the OS drive formatting must be in EFI mode and not Legacy.

For wide compatibility, I am running my PC in Legacy. To change this I will have to completely format my OS drive, install the Win10 from their media file install, set formatting install to EFI, and then patch/update overnight.

This also does not take into account compatibility issues with Win11 to older software. I am not aware of any large issues, but I have mission-critical older apps I run on my PC that cannot have their uptime jeopardized.

Gonna wait on Win11 for now, personally. I do have a friend who went through the hoops and he says that so far Win11 is mainly a UI change and some additional security. That's about it.

Anyone else knows more, please enlighten me.

I'm a reasonably intelligent person but I do not understand one word of your post. If you could explain it again this time using words of one syllable I'd be grateful.

Signed, Tech Ignoramus :huh::help:

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'm a reasonably intelligent person but I do not understand one word of your post. If you could explain it again this time using words of one syllable I'd be grateful.

Signed, Tech Ignoramus :huh::help:

And that is the fundamental problem. For most people Win11 will be with a new PC only that has it already set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad