Confirmed with Link: Trevor Linden steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
This is classic FAQ behavior. All the people who are cackling like hyenas with joy are going to be singing a different tune in 5 years or so when this team is still terrible, probably, yes, without the evil Benning or anybody else who is
in power right now. Reading the countless posts here castigating the greatest player ever to don a Canuck uniform with real vitriol makes me think that these people will probably get exactly what they deserve; more failure, disappointment and shame. Watch all of our young stars in waiting abandon this ship like rats seeking dry land.

The Canucks could very well still be awful 5 years from now, but I don't think anyone will be yearning for the return of Linden. If you disagree perhaps you can share what he did well here as part of the management.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The Canucks could very well still be awful 5 years from now, but I don't think anyone will be yearning for the return of Linden. If you disagree perhaps you can share what he did well here as part of the management.

Well see, he’s an icon and one of the greatest players ever to play for the Canucks. Is anything else actually needed? Accomplishments don’t matter when you’re a dutiful fan who claps when told to clap and yells Go Canucks Go at every opportunity.

Reactions: MS

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Steve Simmons with his take on it:

SIMMONS: Nasty politics pushed Linden out with Canucks

Simmons is a guy with a proven history of complete fabrication, so take this with a grain of salt. If it's true though, man, what an incredible act of disloyalty from Jim Benning.

Ahh snap.

Simmons is a boot licker and has been asked to fabricate a story for the Aqualinis to position Jimbo as a scapegoat for the inevitable backlash at training camp this coming September at Linden getting shitcanned.

Anyone that believes this garbage deserves Jimbo as their GM.

Reactions: Horrorshow

me1ch

Jul 18, 2006
Vancouver
Agreed.

And how dumb does Linden look if he actually got outfoxed by Jim ****ing Benning. :facepalm:

For some bosses, being friends to them is more important than performance. For other bosses, being a yes man is more important. Or a mixture of the two. I don't know which one Aquaman is, but it's hard to change direction with those kind of bosses.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Ed Willes chiming in today saying he has a source close with Linden who heard the same information Simmons reported.

What a mess if true. Some Game of Thrones type stuff going on at the top of the organization.

Can you link to an article/video MC? I've been looking around for this.

If they are corroborating this ugly story... wow.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I believe Willes simply made a few comments on Twitter. I could be wrong.

Just saw his tweets. Hmmm. I'm going to wait until he elaborates. Simmons' story seems to talk around events instead of detailing them. If this is legit though, I wonder how it will change perception on JB for the public? Can't be good.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Benning's an even bigger tool than we thought. The irony in all of this is that while all Benning wanted was job security, it's likely that this will be the only GM job this guy ever gets with all of these stories leaking out. No President in their right mind would ever hire Benning as GM in the future.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I think something significant happened... I don't think it was simply because linden wants more family time... nor do I think that Linden resigned because of principle.

I think Linden was fired... I think Linden was naive... and I think Linden got weasled by Weisbrod with Benning being meek on the side-lines.

What we know is that this regime hates dissenting voices... smarter people than linden were let go for this reason.

Time is running out on Benning / Weisbrod, because their plan and approach isn't going to work. I do think they will be held accountable. Aquilini is just as big a snake as weisbrod is. Aquilini will throw Benning and weisbrod under the bus when the timing is right. I think a new search for president is on... and Benning / Weisbrod get canned from this new president before the season is over.

Just a complete mess of an organization.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Just thinking on this more, the only chance any front office has against Aquilini is to have the President and GM form an unbreakable alliance against him. That's it. Get hired, be very media conscious, and then systematically overrule Aquilini. As soon as Aquilini threatens one with expulsion, have the other back him up and threaten to quit alongside. That's it. Then Aquilini would have to fire both and continually look like the problem.

That's the only way to get this ridiculous owner to back off.

Reactions: timw33

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
What’s more realistic…
Donald Trump Jim Elmer Benning playing 5D Underwater Parcheesi?
Or the GOP Aquilinis effing around?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What’s more realistic…
Donald Trump Jim Elmer Benning playing 5D Underwater Parcheesi?
Or the GOP Aquilinis effing around?

I tend to think that occams razor would apply. Linden saw the error of his ways and team's lack of directions as a problem. He pushed for change, and asked Benning to back him up

th

Hairy coughdrop

Apr 18, 2014
You guys are hilarious question for you Who is worth 2.8 billion dollars and has huge pr machine probably owns hockey sports writers and columnists and who doesnt?Do none of you know how big corps work? Anything coming out of Aquamans camp is total spin period .Show me anywhere in the world where big corps dont fo this.
I've drank beers with Linden hes one of the nicest sports guys I've ever met and I've met a few .Was he good at this job no but hes not the bad guy some of you are making him out to be .Follow the big money it's always selling the lie

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
You guys are hilarious question for you Who is worth 2.8 billion dollars and has huge pr machine probably owns hockey sports writers and columnists and who doesnt?Do none of you know how big corps work? Anything coming out of Aquamans camp is total spin period .Show me anywhere in the world where big corps dont fo this.
I've drank beers with Linden hes one of the nicest sports guys I've ever met and I've met a few .Was he good at this job no but hes not the bad guy some of you are making him out to be .Follow the big money it's always selling the lie

The problem is, his condescending attitude towards Canucks fans, plus his delusional overestimation of our players make it very difficult to take him seriously. I don't see what if anything this has to do with who he's working with.

If you are making great success and you act like a dick, people might be ok with it. If team's failing like crazy but you're trying to be a nice honest guy, people might give you a pass. When you failed at your job AND you still talk down on people like they are dirt, you will get lynched by the mob when shit hits the fan

Like I said before, and many had pointed out, Linden is in WAY over his head. He thinks and acts like he's Rick, but he's really just Jerry with an attitude problem.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
Not much is being said about Weisbrod. He is the biggest dirt bag in captivity. Jimbo brought him with him from Boston. Someone must ask him how he left Jay Feaster holding the bag with the Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet. Oh I know they let it be known that he went to Harvard but they fail to tell us where he finished in his class. Top half or bottom half. It looks like him and Jimbo turned on Trev. Sad.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Just thinking on this more, the only chance any front office has against Aquilini is to have the President and GM form an unbreakable alliance against him. That's it. Get hired, be very media conscious, and then systematically overrule Aquilini. As soon as Aquilini threatens one with expulsion, have the other back him up and threaten to quit alongside. That's it. Then Aquilini would have to fire both and continually look like the problem.

That's the only way to get this ridiculous owner to back off.

i'd like to think so, but come on. eugene melnyk dgaf. harold ballard had to die. bill wirtz had to die. donald sterling had to be forced with god knows what behind closed doors by adam silver before he sold the team. speaking of which,

Donald Sterling had the misfortune of owning a sports team in a very progressive organization.

IMO, I don't think racism would move the needle in the NHL but that's just my gut feeling and I have nothing to base that upon.

yup. bettman tolerated a decade and a half of thinly disguised antisemitic attacks on his own damn self. aqua can charge at sascha baron cohen yelling the n word if he wants to.

I think something significant happened... I don't think it was simply because linden wants more family time... nor do I think that Linden resigned because of principle.

I think Linden was fired... I think Linden was naive... and I think Linden got weasled by Weisbrod with Benning being meek on the side-lines.

What we know is that this regime hates dissenting voices... smarter people than linden were let go for this reason.

Time is running out on Benning / Weisbrod, because their plan and approach isn't going to work. I do think they will be held accountable. Aquilini is just as big a snake as weisbrod is. Aquilini will throw Benning and weisbrod under the bus when the timing is right. I think a new search for president is on... and Benning / Weisbrod get canned from this new president before the season is over.

Just a complete mess of an organization.

a year ago, when willie was finally fired, i posted this:

linden = richard ii

And my large kingdom, for a little grave,
A little, little grave, an obscure grave.

i mean that in a sympathetic way

i don't make a lot of apt literary references but that was a good one.

despite what i said just now about garbage owners not giving a crap about what anyone thinks, i can actually kind of imagine a scenario where there's two or so more years of unending crap, with the fanbase not even turning out for boeser, pettersson, demko, or whatever promising young guys we have because they just completely hate sutter, gudbranson, eriksson, and UFAs to be named next offseason. and aqua will take the helicopter to the island and have a secret meeting with gillis asking him to come back.

and gillis will chuckle for a second and then count out eriksson, roussel, beagle, and next year's UFAs on his left hand. then he'll say, hm, do i want to run your team when you don't have three franchise players and a selke guy for me to start with? go ffffff yourself.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
+1 for Weisbrod being a snake that's gonna snake

If there was a 'coup', I would expect Weisbrod to be behind it. I'm not sure how smart Weisbrod is, but I'm not sure if Linden is a formidable foe or Benning has difficult strings to pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad