Confirmed with Link: Trevor Linden steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
He's just guessing. I listened to a bit of it and he clearly stated that it was his "opinion" that Linden wanted to slow the progression of the team and that it was Benning that was pushing to make the playoffs now.....and that Benning's objectives were aligned with ownership's vision.......Dumbo and the Bore tried to play up like they had heard differently but Kuzma would not have any of it. He's clearly guessing though. It's not worth listening to.

What I suspected then, thank you.

Until we get some sort of details this is all a smokescreen imo.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I haven't read the whole thread, but I agree with those that say this isn't likely to be some Machiavellian plot. I think it is more likely that Aquilini was expecting a four-to-five year rebuild like Benning and Linden promised when they first got here, but here we are in year five and Linden wanted to keep stripping it down, while Benning thinks they are ready to compete on schedule, so the owner canned the guy who wouldn't try to deliver on what he promised.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This is specious reasoning. Because Tim Murray was vilified (supposedly) therefore we are correct to admonish Benning?

I don't really understand your premise that it should be "static at the top." why do you think this?

A consistently held management structure has always represented a model franchise in the NHL. DET, SJ, CHI, LA etc.... No one expected the management structures of these franchises to change while they were successful. Can you say otherwise?

In the times I have witnessed this type of change occur, even beyond BUF, the ascending employee isn’t looked upon as having advanced through a proper course. The hand off isn’t by design/normal course of business. It happens, but it’s usually associated with management upheaval. That’s not seen positively.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
A consistently held management structure has always represented a model franchise in the NHL. DET, SJ, CHI, LA etc.... No one expected the management structures of these franchises to change while they were successful. Can you say otherwise?

I don't know if that is true or not. The president of hockey ops role is a fairly new one so it would surprise me if some of those teams restructured around it at some point. It's moot though because as you say, those teams are successful. The canucks are not successful so I'm not sure why you would expect their front office to be static.

In the times I have witnessed this type of change occur, even beyond BUF, the ascending employee isn’t looked upon as having advanced through a proper course. The hand off isn’t by design/normal course of business. It happens, but it’s usually associated with management upheaval. That’s not seen positively.

Of course it's not normal course of business. The canucks f***ing suck and are bleeding value annually. Obviously some changes were needed. Personally I'd prefer them to clean house but for whatever reason they've decided to axe linden and keep Benning on a tighter leash.

I don't even know what we are arguing about. I have lost track of the argument.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I haven't read the whole thread, but I agree with those that say this isn't likely to be some Machiavellian plot. I think it is more likely that Aquilini was expecting a four-to-five year rebuild like Benning and Linden promised when they first got here, but here we are in year five and Linden wanted to keep stripping it down, while Benning thinks they are ready to compete on schedule, so the owner canned the guy who wouldn't try to deliver on what he promised.

This is how I see it too.

The fans didn't like it when linden started condescendingly preaching about patience after years of talking about the playoffs and accelerated development. I doubt the owners liked it either.

Linden and Benning sold ownership on a plan of turning things around in a hurry, of a competitive retool. They talked about the Sedin timeline, and being ready to compete when the Sedins contract is up. The time has come for them to deliver, and instead linden is back peddling, moving the goalposts, saying "I never said this would be fast or easy. We need to be patient. Blah blah blah." ownership didn't buy it. Linden failed. Period. Benning is apparently still saying they can deliver on their original promise and be competitive this year. Is that a betrayal? If they're not competitive I would almost guarantee he is gone too. Him reporting directly to ownership is hardly a promotion, it's him being on a tight leash. He is fighting for his job this season, as he should be.

Maybe you can say that linden was smart enough to realize things weren't working and want to change direction but who cares. He over promised and under delivered and that earned him a firing, as it often does.

Maybe linden feels betrayed but that's his interpretation. The idea that this is f***ing game of thrones and Benning is putting things in motion like Varys, give me a break. The man has an iq of about 85 and he can't keep his mouth shut. He has all the ability for devious politics as Hodor.

Last edited:

member 290103

I wonder if Linden is just making a play here to rehab his rep. His "brand" as was discussed on the radio today, has taken a major hit since he took this job. He likely came to the realization that this team is eons off from competing for a Stanley Cup and that it might just be best to cut bait and quit now. This way he can play up that he was the reasonable and rationale person and that it was the evil meddling owner that was the problem.....so.....keep buying those Club 16 memberships! Linden is still awesome!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is how I see it too.

The fans didn't like it when linden started condescendingly preaching about patience after years of talking about the playoffs and accelerated development. I doubt the owners liked it either.

Linden and Benning sold ownership on a plan of turning things around in a hurry, of a competitive retool. They talked about the Sedin timeline, and being ready to compete when the Sedins contract is up. The time has come for them to deliver, and instead linden is back peddling, moving the goalposts, saying "I never said this would be fast or easy. We need to be patient. Blah blah blah." ownership didn't buy it. Linden failed. Period. Benning is apparently still saying they can deliver on their original promise and be competitive this year. Is that a betrayal? If they're not competitive I would almost guarantee he is gone too. Him reporting directly to ownership is hardly a promotion, it's him being on a tight leash. He is fighting for his job this season, as he should be.

Maybe you can say that linden was smart enough to realize things weren't working and want to change direction but who cares. He over promised and under delivered and that earned him a firing, as it often does.
Maybe linden feels betrayed but that's his interpretation. The idea that this is ****ing game of thrones and Benning is putting things in motion like Varys, give me a break. The man has an iq of about 85 and he can't keep his mouth shut. He has all the ability for devious politics as Hodor.
Out of a lot of rubbish thats been out out there...this scenario sounds reasonable..The 'cloak and dagger' stuff just seems way too far fetched..

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Maybe linden feels betrayed but that's his interpretation. The idea that this is ****ing game of thrones and Benning is putting things in motion like Varys, give me a break. The man has an iq of about 85 and he can't keep his mouth shut. He has all the ability for devious politics as Hodor.
I'm kinda in this boat too. I don't realistically see any sort of backroom power struggles happening either. Makes for great copy though. What I think probably happened:
  • Benning and Aqua chat during contract negotiations. The standard "Why should I extend you - what's your vision" chat or some sort happened. Benning shoots from the hip and answers honestly. "I'm impatient and want to make the playoffs where 'anything can happen'. I want to sign some free agents to make that happen quicker". Frankie and Benning find common ground and "playoffs asap" is the direction going forward. Benning is reporting directly to Frankie now - he does what he's told.
  • Linden likely did wander the draft floor seeking information on rebuilds and decided to pivot (once again). Goes to ownership to push for letting the kids play and avoiding costly free agent signings. Aqua says no. We're competing for the playoffs. We have Boeser and Pettersson and Horvat. Linden is frustrated that he doesn't actually have control of the team. He makes a last ditch effort to try and convince Aquilini. No go - Frankie has bought into the fact the team can reach the playoffs quickly and that's all he's wanted - playoffs or bust is a very consistent Aqua pattern. If we miss the playoffs - he simply cans Benning.
  • The past few years has likely not been fun for Linden. I imagine he's used to being the golden boy in the city to fans and media alike. He's probably had some rough interactions and things are definitely not going well under his leadership. Ownership not agreeing with his latest team direction is a quick and easy out for him over "philosophical differences". He can try to come out of this whole mess being the "misunderstood voice of reason".

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm kinda in this boat too. I don't realistically see any sort of backroom power struggles happening either. Makes for great copy though. What I think probably happened:
  • Benning and Aqua chat during contract negotiations. The standard "Why should I extend you - what's your vision" chat or some sort happened. Benning shoots from the hip and answers honestly. "I'm impatient and want to make the playoffs where 'anything can happen'. I want to sign some free agents to make that happen quicker". Frankie and Benning find common ground and "playoffs asap" is the direction going forward. Benning is reporting directly to Frankie now - he does what he's told.
  • Linden likely did wander the draft floor seeking information on rebuilds and decided to pivot (once again). Goes to ownership to push for letting the kids play and avoiding costly free agent signings. Aqua says no. We're competing for the playoffs. We have Boeser and Pettersson and Horvat. Linden is frustrated that he doesn't actually have control of the team. He makes a last ditch effort to try and convince Aquilini. No go - Frankie has bought into the fact the team can reach the playoffs quickly and that's all he's wanted - playoffs or bust is a very consistent Aqua pattern. If we miss the playoffs - he simply cans Benning.
  • The past few years has likely not been fun for Linden. I imagine he's used to being the golden boy in the city to fans and media alike. He's probably had some rough interactions and things are definitely not going well under his leadership. Ownership not agreeing with his latest team direction is a quick and easy out for him over "philosophical differences". He can try to come out of this whole mess being the "misunderstood voice of reason".

Let's not forget that Friedman reported in 2016 that Linden was considering stepping down, and all the stuff about them being hurt by the reaction about the deadline this year. You're right, I don't think he's had a great time as president and probably realized that the plan wasn't working but it was the plan that got him the job and he wasn't going to sell a new plan to ownership.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't know if that is true or not. The president of hockey ops role is a fairly new one so it would surprise me if some of those teams restructured around it at some point. It's moot though because as you say, those teams are successful. The canucks are not successful so I'm not sure why you would expect their front office to be static.

Of course it's not normal course of business. The canucks ****ing suck and are bleeding value annually. Obviously some changes were needed. Personally I'd prefer them to clean house but for whatever reason they've decided to axe linden and keep Benning on a tighter leash.

I don't even know what we are arguing about. I have lost track of the argument.

Only a debate, no argument.

We agree on the point of cleaning house. Things should not have remained static. I'm OK with Linden being fired. The difference in our respective opinions is how that fallout came to pass. You kind of touch on it with your later post to Pitseleh.

You said that "maybe Linden feels betrayed, but that's his interpretation". I extend that to a general sentiment. Benning comes off as betraying Linden when he chooses to bypass Linden on his way to job security/promotion. Linden then fired some time later. That's not to say it isn't done in the NHL. There is precedent. Teams are bad, management shifts, and sometimes an employee becomes a replacement.

NOTE: This thinking does not require us to re-imagine Benning as some sort of Machiavelli or Varys for it to hold legitimacy. He only ever needs to go left when Linden goes right. That's all it takes. One decision.

Anyway, this is all just piecing hearsay and loose scraps of information together. I don't trust Benning. I've never regarded him as being someone who holds loyalty above self preservation. That is obviously colouring my perception here. You could very well be more right than me on this.

Last edited:

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
To be honest, I've thought about this a lot lately. I don't think Linden could have officially gotten fired. I think 'amicably parting ways' was the only PR move or announcement that could be acceptable given how loved Linden is.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Linden was beloved a long time ago, before the CBA business. He failed to leverage that affection or grow into a new role. He remained the guy that played hockey before becoming a gym owner. He compromised what credibility he had by lying to a media schlub. Then he presided over a club that cratered three seasons in a row. Where is this love coming from?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Linden was beloved a long time ago, before the CBA business. He failed to leverage that affection or grow into a new role. He remained the guy that played hockey before becoming a gym owner. He compromised what credibility he had by lying to a media schlub. Then he presided over a club that cratered three seasons in a row. Where is this love coming from?

hockey fans?

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
To be honest, I've thought about this a lot lately. I don't think Linden could have officially gotten fired. I think 'amicably parting ways' was the only PR move or announcement that could be acceptable given how loved Linden is.
Like you say he's basically undumpable. He got ghosted.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whatever Trevor thought about the direction of the team, I'm not convinced he was ever really cut out to be a senior hockey exec in the NHL. The awful on-ice product and the erosion of support in this marketplace over the past four years should offer proof of that. My guess is he'll never get another NHL job again, and is probably just fine with that.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Simmons was on with Sekeres and Price this afternoon talking about his theory with not one ounce of evidence except unnamed sources. Crap "journalism".

member 290103

I dont' get it.....Aqualini goes with Benning and fires Linden because Benning says that he can turn the team around faster and get it back to the playoffs sooner, while Trevor says the rebuild will need to be longer.....hmm.....does Aqualini just believe everything that he is told? Did Benning not tell him the same thing in 2014 when he was hired? How'd that quick retool go?

I wish I could get a job with Aqualini. I could just lose money for him every year but guarantee him in meetings that I will turn things around fast to keep my job.

member 290103

Simmons was on with Sekeres and Price this afternoon talking about his theory with not one ounce of evidence except unnamed sources. Crap "journalism".

Complete waste of time. His sources are "NHL people." Ok, thanks.

Sounds to me like he really might have just made the whole thing up........hopefully some other journalist with a better track record corroborates this in some fashion.

ccjon

Jul 12, 2011

Complete waste of time. His sources are "NHL people." Ok, thanks.

Sounds to me like he really might have just made the whole thing up........hopefully some other journalist with a better track record corroborates this in some fashion.

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
makes absolutely zero sense from reporters when Aqulini directly says that a rebuild is a "slow, gradual process." That should tell you enough where he stands rather than hypothesizing theories of who was right or wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad