Player Discussion Trent Frederic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsNetwork

I have no doubt at all that Frederic can play LW and would be just fine there. I don't think they even need to try that to know he could do it. But the B's don't need him at LW right now, nor do they really need him at Center either with 37/46/13 around for at least one more year.

I'd rather him in Providence continuing to develop as a center-man while getting his cups of coffee from time-to-time due to injuries in Boston also up the middle. Potential big two-way centers are too valuable to waste as wingers just because they can also play the wing. If/when he's established in the NHL as a center and they need him to shift to wing from time-to-time fine, but during his development phase of his career he needs to stay working in the middle.

Agreed. There’s no reason for Frederic to be switched to wing and Boston knows that, which is why he plays center in Providence full-time. The kid is young and this is just his first professional season. He looked fine during his recent call up and I’m glad there’s some progress being made. Clearly not ready just yet, but I don’t think he’s really that far away either.

Now, when it comes to Steen, JFK and Studnicka, there’s much more debate and dialogue to be had about someone having to play wing.

Reactions: BruinDust

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Not a bad first Pro year from TFred,has a few things to work on once everyone is done with playoffs

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not a bad first Pro year from TFred,has a few things to work on once everyone is done with playoffs

I don`t get to see him play in Providence, just don`t have the time to get a stream and watch but agree with you. While he didn`t do anything to wow me at the NHL level, he also didn`t appear to be overwhelmed. One area I was pleasantly surprised with is/was his FO proficiency, he wasn`t exactly lined up beside players who might have given him more offensive looks/opportunities either

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
By 24 he will be a 20+ goal scorer and elite PK

Hated hated hated the pick

Will be proven 100% wrong

Reactions: Fenian24

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
His issue right now seems to be that he is playing about 1/2 to 1 second too slow at everything. It seems like everything he tries, like getting set for a shot, he takes a little to long and gets stripped or blocked. I think this is the 'pace' aspect that the coaches have been harping on this past year or two for various young players. Once he corrects this, I'd expect to see a similar game to what Coyle is providing.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I disagree

Acciari should be extended. He is a big part of this club

nobody else could help Nordstrom/Backes get their game going ..... Frederic had 10 plus games to try and couldn't

IF Bruins cant agree to an extension with Acciari, I guess Frederic is the logical choice for 4c....but is not a shoe in

He needs to have a big offseason and come in next season "upgraded"

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I see a lot of early Carlo personality in Frederic. Big kid, but needs more of a consistent mean streak. We saw how much more assertive Carlo was when his mean streak came out. I think Frederic needs the same to happen.

@BruinsNetwork you've been around him, am I off on this?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Gone, like Schaller and Riley Nash the year before.

no way

I guess you don't appreciate what he has done for the team this season

The guy is willing to play the next day after extensive dentist work and looking like bugs bunny

BruinsNetwork

I see a lot of early Carlo personality in Frederic. Big kid, but needs more of a consistent mean streak. We saw how much more assertive Carlo was when his mean streak came out. I think Frederic needs the same to happen.

@BruinsNetwork you've been around him, am I off on this?

Think you’re off on that one a little bit.

Frederic has plenty of nasty and a mean streak to him. Applying it in the NHL is tough when you’re frequently chasing the play and playing from behind, which is his issue right now I think.

He came out in that first period after his latest recall and I thought he looked really good. Then, as the game went on, he became increasingly unnoticeable. He’s really young, but the potential is there. I mean, look at what he did to Tanev after he got in his face. The mean streak is definitely there.

He’s one of the better checkers in Providence, already, IMO. Definitely asserts himself physically. I just think it’s tough to have that cohesive style of game for him at the moment because he: A. Isn’t ready B. Hasn’t had enough experience in the NHL to develop that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Frederic has plenty of nasty and a mean streak to him. Applying it in the NHL is tough when you’re frequently chasing the play and playing from behind, which is his issue right now I think.

He came out in that first period after his latest recall and I thought he looked really good. Then, as the game went on, he became increasingly unnoticeable. He’s really young, but the potential is there. I mean, look at what he did to Tanev after he got in his face. The mean streak is definitely there.

He’s one of the better checkers in Providence, already, IMO. Definitely asserts himself physically. I just think it’s tough to have that cohesive style of game for him at the moment because he: A. Isn’t ready B. Hasn’t had enough experience in the NHL to develop that.

Do you think his conditioning has a part to play? Not that he's not in good shape or avoids the gym, just that this is the first full pro year after two NCAA years and he's hit a bit of a wall in the 2nd half of the season (which was right about the time he was called up). Not terribly uncommon for former NCAA guys sometimes.

Reactions: Grimey

BruinsNetwork

Do you think his conditioning has a part to play? Not that he's not in good shape or avoids the gym, just that this is the first full pro year after two NCAA years and he's hit a bit of a wall in the 2nd half of the season (which was right about the time he was called up). Not terribly uncommon for former NCAA guys sometimes.

Oh it’s definitkey a factor. He works hard both on and off the ice, but like you said, it’s a big difference between NCAA and professional. Zboril went through something similar last year and he ultimately started hitting the bike in the gym a lot more to raise his conditionin. It was nice to hear him speak candidly to me about that.

I haven’t asked Trent if there’s any issue or adjustment with his conditioning, but I’m sure it’s part of it. The other part— the more important part —is that he simply hasn’t had enough time or experience to correct his mistakes and get out ahead of things. Which is fine, he’s very young and it’s his rookie year. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with where he is right now. In fact, I saw some progress in each game he played in this season in the NHL.

Trent is by all account a tremendous athlete, both on and off the ice, so I think it’ll all come full-circle for him. He just needs a little bit more time. He only played two-years in college, so he’s probably ahead of schedule, even.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Oh it’s definitkey a factor. He works hard both on and off the ice, but like you said, it’s a big difference between NCAA and professional. Zboril went through something similar last year and he ultimately started hitting the bike in the gym a lot more to raise his conditionin. It was nice to hear him speak candidly to me about that.

I haven’t asked Trent if there’s any issue or adjustment with his conditioning, but I’m sure it’s part of it. The other part— the more important part —is that he simply hasn’t had enough time or experience to correct his mistakes and get out ahead of things. Which is fine, he’s very young and it’s his rookie year. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with where he is right now. In fact, I saw some progress in each game he played in this season in the NHL.

Trent is by all account a tremendous athlete, both on and off the ice, so I think it’ll all come full-circle for him. He just needs a little bit more time. He only played two-years in college, so he’s probably ahead of schedule, even.

always appreciate your reports here, I`m spitballing but gonna see if there might be some truth too, seems like the PB`s also suffered through a season with lots of injuries and building that chemistry with linemates who are consistently with you just isn`t/wasn`t as easy to do this year too? Big club had to make considerable callups, AHL team supplied them then suffered some injury woes too, not easy to work with?

Reactions: Saxon Eric

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
always appreciate your reports here, I`m spitballing but gonna see if there might be some truth too, seems like the PB`s also suffered through a season with lots of injuries and building that chemistry with linemates who are consistently with you just isn`t/wasn`t as easy to do this year too? Big club had to make considerable callups, AHL team supplied them then suffered some injury woes too, not easy to work with?

Amen. @BruinsNetwork is a godsend. Nice to see someone young that is so passionate about the game.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Sounds like we have a similar opinion, my explanation just sucked lol. I like his game and really hope he keep trending in the right direction.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
no way

I guess you don't appreciate what he has done for the team this season

The guy is willing to play the next day after extensive dentist work and looking like bugs bunny
I appreciate him,I think he'll get more elsewhere
If Leach gets the job in Buffalo i bet he goes there for 1.5 per x 3
We can't match that salary or term

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He was playing in a program run by former NHL player and coach

He’s young and needs nature to take its course

He will play in the dirty areas and do the dirty work play 200 feet

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He was playing in a program run by former NHL player and coach

He’s young and needs nature to take its course

He will play in the dirty areas and do the dirty work play 200 feet

Yup, it's like @BruinsNetwork said, realistically he's actually ahead of the curve in terms of his development really. He's naturally athletic so give him some time for his overall conditioning to catch up to the grind of a full pro season of 70+ games.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yup, it's like @BruinsNetwork said, realistically he's actually ahead of the curve in terms of his development really. He's naturally athletic so give him some time for his overall conditioning to catch up to the grind of a full pro season of 70+ games.

exactly, not the same sport and I`m no athlete however, the golf course I was a member at in Halifax was an easy walk, moved here (BC) and joined a course that is far more of a demanding walk, the first month I played there, I was wiped after every round, now I feel better with each passing round.

Reactions: BruinDust

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah, another grinder/200 foot player added to the already hefty pile of those types. Should be a real difference maker with the secondary scoring being nearly non-existent.

Reactions: Estlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad