Friedman: Treliving doesn't want to move the core 4, wants to focus on defense.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Ultimately, all of it. However, teams can only make the best decisions based on the information they have on hand. We can think hypothetically until the end of the road when it's clear what the team has accomplished with this core.

The me, the biggest problem with this current core is they take up so much cap space, it's nearly impossible to surround them with proper depth and the right mix of players and personalities. If these guys were willing to leave more money on the table, we wouldn't need to pinch pennies and go bargain basement shopping for depth pieces and we could target better options.

The core can't have it both ways -- they either want to win a Cup or want to make every penny they can. There's a reason teams like the Bolts have won multiple Cups and annually contend for a chip -- players like Kucherov were willing to sign for 9.5 mil after a 128 point MVP season.

If Matthews, and ultimately Marner and Nylander, all leave good money on the table to prove their dedication to the Leafs, then they deserve the benefit of the doubt and it's on Treliving to find the right supporting cast. If they aren't willing to do that, it proves they lack character and a selfless, winning mindset that is crucial to winning championships in a hard cap sports league.

We need players with MacKinnon's character on the Leafs...
Or the other option is the big 4 contracts actually show up in the playoffs and earn their money. Instead they lose every game 3-2 and they tell us how hard they tried like they're a bunch of 12 year olds instead of professional athletes making obscene amounts of money to perform.

Reactions: Boxscore

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
350769147_186313367721670_200188061308560136_n.jpg

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's hard to trade 1 of the core 4.
I doubt you get a good enough piece back. Were not playing xbox

The leafs need more intensity, Add some players with nastiness, maybe a more intense coach.

Reactions: horner

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
even if by some cosmic inference tavares was convinced to waive his nmc/ntc who in their right mind in the league would take that boat anchor of a contract on their team

tavares is done as a center; dude can't keep up with modern NHL pace and with 11 aav thats just one of the worst contract in NHL

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
willing to do what players on the Bolts, Caps, and Avs did for years
Wait, what Caps did that?

Ovi had the highest cap hit in the league, and did for a very long time. He's tied for 20th now, but I wouldn't call that leaving a lot of money on the table when he signed his new deal.

Backstrom is probably the only one you can point too, but he was a top 20 cap hit when he signed. The thing is he signed for 10 years, and I'm not sure anyone was calling that a steal at the time. It was a massive long term deal that the Capitals definitely came out ahead on, but he's making up for it now when he signed his 46 for 5 year deal. I'd also argue that he probably gets about the same amount over that same term even if he doesn't go long term with the deal. He started to get hurt and miss a lot of game right after signing that deal, I don't think he missed out on as much as you'd think.

Beyond those two, who left money on the table? Carlson got a premier deal. Kuzya's deal was a pretty wild deal when he signed it. TJ Oshie could have arguably had a higher cap hit, but he traded term for maybe a million less a year. Wilson got what he was worth. Green got his money, they didn't pay Semin but he got his money from Carolina. Hotlby got his deal. I'm seriously drawing a blank on who took favorable deals for the team.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Ovi had the highest cap hit in the league, and did for a very long time. He's tied for 20th now, but I wouldn't call that leaving a lot of money on the table when he signed his new deal.

Backstrom is probably the only one you can point too, but he was a top 20 cap hit when he signed. The thing is he signed for 10 years, and I'm not sure anyone was calling that a steal at the time. It was a massive long term deal that the Capitals definitely came out ahead on, but he's making up for it now when he signed his 46 for 5 year deal. I'd also argue that he probably gets about the same amount over that same term even if he doesn't go long term with the deal. He started to get hurt and miss a lot of game right after signing that deal, I don't think he missed out on as much as you'd think.

Beyond those two, who left money on the table? Carlson got a premier deal. Kuzya's deal was a pretty wild deal when he signed it. TJ Oshie could have arguably had a higher cap hit, but he traded term for maybe a million less a year. Wilson got what he was worth. Green got his money, they didn't pay Semin but he got his money from Carolina. Hotlby got his deal. I'm seriously drawing a blank on who took favorable deals for the team.
Backstrom’s deal was definitely favourable for the Caps, it was known when he signed.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I don't get it

I thought the idea was that a trade of the core four would be needed in order to get an impact defenseman. You need the trade value and cap space to come from somewhere.
That only works if an impact D man is available. Which team has a top D man available? I can only think of SJ and trading for Karlsson wouldn’t be a fit…

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That only works if an impact D man is available. Which team has a top D man available? I can only think of SJ and trading for Karlsson wouldn’t be a fit…
Sure he'd fit. I know people imagine it must be some D first top D that would fix the D but I don't think the balance on paper is as important as talent. I bet Karlsson on the Leafs would work just fine, and maybe usher in some new thinking on how to build a team

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
um, no...
Brodie is worth more than that return on his own, and the Leafs will just hang onto Murray, and he will be on LTIR in no time. no need to waste an asset.
when he was healthy, he was actually not bad (start of the season) ...not as good after his return though. ...and there is always a desperate team looking for a goalie every season, and a deal can easily be worked out

I don't disagree with the Brodie part, but LTIR Murray is a problem because he does get healthy sometimes. He's not a traditional LTIR player you just forget about. The Leafs need to make room for him on the roster once in a while.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Honest question: has any team that has ever said this (i.e., "we need to fix the D group"), or some variation of it, ever successfully done it?

I say this as the fan of a team that has been saying this for 10 years, has added two first overall picks to the d-corps in the last 5 years, and yet is still saying it.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Nicklas Backstrom to start. Ovechkin was the only player on the team who got close to max what he should. And at the time, Ovechkin was a level above any current Leafs players and the cap was on a upward trajectory.

Backstrom, Carlson, etc. could have each milked another 1.5 to 2 mil each if they wanted to strap the Caps but they didn't. 11 mil for Tavares the year before Kucherov signed for 9.5 after winning the Hart and scoring 126 points is hysterical. Marner at 10.8 years ago when Matt Tkachuk just signed for 9.5 long-term after scoring 104 points.

The Leafs should collect their paychecks with ski masks on. Full stop.

Out of the Leafs core 4, three of them are moderately to highly overpaid. The only one who has played above his contract is Nylander. None of Tavares, Matthews, or Marner did the Leafs a solid.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Friedman was on air yesterday and said Brad Treliving doesn't want to move the core 4, instead he wants to focus on the blue line.

To me that's interesting because I don't actually think the defense needs much work, for all his faults, and he certainly has them, I do think Kyle Dubas put together a pretty good blue line it's not, no team is but it's pretty solid.

Rielly Brodie

McCabe Lilly

Gio Timmins

That's not bad I wonder how significant the changes are.

I have said before I except a deal with Calgary so does he bring over Hanafin, Tanev?, both?

Or does he go big game hunting and target Provorov?

I have a feeling he's going to come in and make a splash, I don't think his first deal is a small one.
Treliving knows that D-Core has ONE pair carrying dman on it. You can’t win in the playoffs without at least 2. They’ve tried with really good role playing dmen, but it just doesn’t work. Brodie and McCabe are really good supporting/role players. They can’t carry a pair though.

Teams know if you wear down Rielly, the Leafs are toast. Look at teams that succeed in the playoffs. All have at least 2.

Would Calgary move Hanifin? That’s who I think he’s going after. Would Vegas trade Theodore if they win the Cup? They have a couple young guys coming and Hague took a big step this year.

Now.. what’s the cost? Is it Nylander? Probably for either of those two.

If they can’t get someone like Hanifin, can they get by, going after a Tory Krug for a year or two? He can carry a pair. There are some older dmen who can do it, who are probably available. It’s still not optimal though.

There’s not a lot of teams willing to move 20 minute a night pair carrying dmen. That’s his #1 goal though. And should be.

Reactions: Mr Positive

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Honest question: has any team that has ever said this (i.e., "we need to fix the D group"), or some variation of it, ever successfully done it?

I say this as the fan of a team that has been saying this for 10 years, has added two first overall picks to the d-corps in the last 5 years, and yet is still saying it.
Caps when they brought in Niskanen and Orpik. It cost a lot though.

Reactions: ClydeLee

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Nicklas Backstrom to start. Ovechkin was the only player on the team who got close to max what he should. And at the time, Ovechkin was a level above any current Leafs players and the cap was on a upward trajectory.

Backstrom, Carlson, etc. could have each milked another 1.5 to 2 mil each if they wanted to strap the Caps but they didn't. 11 mil for Tavares the year before Kucherov signed for 9.5 after winning the Hart and scoring 126 points is hysterical. Marner at 10.8 years ago when Matt Tkachuk just signed for 9.5 long-term after scoring 104 points.

The Leafs should collect their paychecks with ski masks on. Full stop.

Out of the Leafs core 4, three of them are moderately to highly overpaid. The only one who has played above his contract is Nylander. None of Tavares, Matthews, or Marner did the Leafs a solid.
Kutch takes home more $$ than JT's because of Florida's tax rates

9.5 = 11,068,339 if he was given the 'same' $$ after taxes in Toronto
JT's take home pay is almost 70k less than Kutch even though he 'makes' 1.5 million more than Kutch, by being in Toronto and forced to pay Ontario taxes

The NHL/NHLPA really needs to address the advantages of low Tax Rates on Cap Hit since we have a 'flat cap' and to give equal $$ to players, high tax cities will always have higher cap hit players to compensate.

NHL Tax Calculator

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
That is 1 million % irrelevant. Both players play in the NHL and all teams are limited by the same salary cap, period. Until the NHL allows teams with higher tax rates to exceed the cap, state tax is irrelevant to building a competitive team in the NHL.

Not to mention Kucherov scored 126 points and won a Hart before he signed for 9.5. When the Leafs signed Tavares to that absurd deal his career high was 86 points and he accomplished nothing.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Nothing wrong with the core 4

2019 - Lost to the Bruins who eventually lost in the final in game 7. An argument could be made that the Leafs were the third best team in the post season as they barely lost to the team that barely lost to the cup winner.

2020 - Covid year, doesn't really count as they were in the bubble.

2021 - Again, an argument could be made that they were the third best team in the playoffs as they narrowly lost to the team who lost in the finals. This was without their captain for most of the first round, if Tavares was there Leafs go to the finals and likely beat the Lighting.

2022 - Again, the Leafs were the third best team in the post season, narrowly losing to the team that eventually lost in the finals.

2023 - Ironically, the leafs took a step back this year, while finally making it out of the first round. If Florida wins the cup this year Leafs will once again be the third best team in the post season, as they lost in a better fashion than Carolina but in a worse fashion than Boston to the cup winners. If Florida loses this will be the first year since 2020 that the leafs were out of the top 3 teams in the playoffs.

Really all they need is that x factor that takes them from #3 to #1.
They are not getting a pass for 2021 against the habs

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
even if by some cosmic inference tavares was convinced to waive his nmc/ntc who in their right mind in the league would take that boat anchor of a contract on their team

tavares is done as a center; dude can't keep up with modern NHL pace and with 11 aav thats just one of the worst contract in NHL
Tavares is coming off a 36 goal 80 point season. If he were a UFA willing to sign a 2 year deal, what do you think the market yields?

Nazem Kadri (essentially the exact same age), a career 55 point C coming off of an extreme outlier career year at 31 years old got a 7x7 that takes him to 39

Reactions: Fatass

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

$11AV makes it tough for most teams but to say Tavares is done as a C is a stretch and a half.

Reactions: Zur En Arrh

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011

9.5 = 11,068,339 if he was given the 'same' $$ after taxes in Toronto
JT's take home pay is almost 70k less than Kutch even though he 'makes' 1.5 million more than Kutch, by being in Toronto and forced to pay Ontario taxes

The NHL/NHLPA really needs to address the advantages of low Tax Rates on Cap Hit since we have a 'flat cap' and to give equal $$ to players, high tax cities will always have higher cap hit players to compensate.

NHL Tax Calculator
As long as Bettman is here it'll never happen. Why would he want to help out Canadian teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad