Friedman: Treliving doesn't want to move the core 4, wants to focus on defense.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Friedman was on air yesterday and said Brad Treliving doesn't want to move the core 4, instead he wants to focus on the blue line.

To me that's interesting because I don't actually think the defense needs much work, for all his faults, and he certainly has them, I do think Kyle Dubas put together a pretty good blue line it's not, no team is but it's pretty solid.

Rielly Brodie

McCabe Lilly

Gio Timmins

That's not bad I wonder how significant the changes are.

I have said before I except a deal with Calgary so does he bring over Hanafin, Tanev?, both?

Or does he go big game hunting and target Provorov?

I have a feeling he's going to come in and make a splash, I don't think his first deal is a small one.

• Wow
Reactions: tfwnogf

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Matthews can move on his own after next season and Trev can’t stop him.

He's going to wait until after July 1 to see what contracts get signed and drag the process until he gets his price. Reports indicated he only wanted five years which I think is actually great for Leafs. Overpay for his five prime years. Even $13.5 x 5 years doesn't sound bad because you don't have to pay for age 30, 31, 32.

Leafs will pretty much give him top-of-the-market and the length he wants once this drags on. They will have almost no choice because of the Matthews NMC veto.

Genius Kyle Dubas boxed them into a corner with a bad contract that didn't get one of the guy's UFA years and still paid him a top dollar at the time of $11.6 M.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Friedman was on air yesterday and said Brad Treliving doesn't want to move the core 4, instead he wants to focus on the blue line.

To me that's interesting because I don't actually think the defense needs much work, for all his faults, and he certainly has them, I do think Kyle Dubas put together a pretty good blue line it's not, no team is but it's pretty solid.

Rielly Brodie

McCabe Lilly

Gio Timmins

That's not bad I wonder how significant the changes are.

I have said before I except a deal with Calgary so does he bring over Hanafin, Tanev?, both?

Or does he go big game hunting and target Provorov?

I have a feeling he's going to come in and make a splash, I don't think his first deal is a small one.
I liked their D much better when Muzzin still could play, Mccabe is a huge downgrade.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There is no indication that that's going to happen, everything points to it getting done, not necessarily July 1st but still getting done.
What number though does Matthews get to keep him? 14 x 5? If he’s signed to that number and MM and WM get big bumps too, then isn’t that going to greatly affect the ability to balance out the roster, like the D?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The D needs a pretty big overhaul imo. Gio and Brodie struggled in the playoffs and will be another year older and the second pairing of McCabe-Liljigren isn’t a strong second pairing. They need two new top four guys to really improve the D imo.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Nothing wrong with the core 4

2019 - Lost to the Bruins who eventually lost in the final in game 7. An argument could be made that the Leafs were the third best team in the post season as they barely lost to the team that barely lost to the cup winner.

2020 - Covid year, doesn't really count as they were in the bubble.

2021 - Again, an argument could be made that they were the third best team in the playoffs as they narrowly lost to the team who lost in the finals. This was without their captain for most of the first round, if Tavares was there Leafs go to the finals and likely beat the Lighting.

2022 - Again, the Leafs were the third best team in the post season, narrowly losing to the team that eventually lost in the finals.

2023 - Ironically, the leafs took a step back this year, while finally making it out of the first round. If Florida wins the cup this year Leafs will once again be the third best team in the post season, as they lost in a better fashion than Carolina but in a worse fashion than Boston to the cup winners. If Florida loses this will be the first year since 2020 that the leafs were out of the top 3 teams in the playoffs.

Really all they need is that x factor that takes them from #3 to #1.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Genius Kyle Dubas boxed them into a corner with a bad contract that didn't get one of the guy's UFA years and still paid him a top dollar at the time of $11.6 M.
Matthews was eligible to become a UFA as early as this summer (has accrued 7 years of service) so they did buy a UFA year.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Wouldn't improving the defense more or less necessitate moving one of the higher priced forwards?

Before this offseason yes. Given their cap situation now - actually no (they have a lot of space, and will either LTIR, pay to trade, or buyout Murray to make more).

They have a fair amount of space to add a D.

I don't think the D is the problem, they should be looking for a legit top six C (move Tavares to wing) and a some depth scoring IMO. D has been fine for a couple years now.

Reactions: The Note

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Makes sense, that group is 1 injury away from meh to terrible. He needs to fix the scoring which cant happen without trading someone meaningful. I get not making too big of a splash when you just get there but I think this still has the feel of Shanny running the show.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
True, at least that's the pattern of Toronto GMs it seems.

But I don't see how he can have both - keep the core and focus on improving the defense? To get anyone meaningful back the only really attractive assets BT has is the core 4 and Knies. And as a cost-controlled young talent who brings an element the Leafs really need, I don't see him going anywhere either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad