Travis Sanheim - D - 6'3" - 181 - Calgary WHL - 2014 pick (1-17) - [signed ELC, 9/25]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Really like the pick. Also zero unbiased reason to complain about it honestly. Disagree, sure, but you really can't say it's a bad pick.

You generally don't draft based on need because prospects take time to develop and a lot changes to the roster in that time. D is also a far bigger need then forward. People say we don't have forward prospects, which is largely true, but Laughton is as sure of third liner or better as anyone and Leier/Cousins are good depth prospects. The NHL roster of forwards are mostly young and signed to reasonable deals. It's not going to need any big promotions for a while, most likely. For the depth roles there's still how many picks left in the draft?

Sanheim is also the type of D I like to see drafted for us. Smart and instinctive with his play and described as poised with a good two-way, passing game and excellent potential. Sounds fine to me for picking 17th in a supposedly "weak" draft.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Also, lets not kid ourselves, is there anyone on our current NHL D that isn't expendable long-term? Coburn if nobody develops into making him expendable, but that's about it. Our D needs a huge prospect pool right now.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
@sportsdoctormd: Travis Sanheim's mother's step brother is related to Ron Hextall. Or something like that

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I've been pumping this guys tires for weeks. I promise you guys will love him. This is a steal. Go watch the U18 Worlds. He was the best player on the ice.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Morin: Age 18, 6'7, 210lbs. Very good skater for size.
Gostisbehere: Age 21, 5'11, 180lbs. Excellent skater.
Hägg: Age 19, 6'2, 210lbs. Smooth, classy skater.
Sanheim: Age 18, 6'4, 190lbs. Smooth skating, fast, good acceleration.
Alt: Age 22, 6'4, 210lbs. Great all round skater.

That is one massive, mobile blueline corps being built.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Is it me or does he kind of look like Couturier?

Especially with the 14 jersey on, too. Uncanny. :laugh:

Pick is growing on me. I had him ahead of Fleury, so I definitely think highly of him. With Milano off the board, I don't think there was anything too enticing that we passed up on.

And between Morin, Sanheim, and Ghost, you have some incredible skill sets.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
I like it. I don't know much about him but I like them picking up another guy with big upside.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
I'm starting to doubt that Craig is one of our scouts he usually have our guys ranked very high :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Interesting pick, definitely not a typical Flyers pick. Kinda makes me think of a bigger Timonen, in that he's a good skater, supposedly very smart and responsible, but not that physical.

One thing about a big and mobile defense, it allows you to carry some wingers who lack speed but have good offensive skills because your defensemen can attack the zone and still get back into position. Since those kind of wingers are commonly available in the middle rounds, you don't have to find 9 high draft picks to fill out your front lines.

The slow defensemen the Flyers have had are forced to play conservatively if they're not paired with forwards who are both fast and defensively responsible, and that puts a lot of pressure on your forwards and limits their offensive production, while discouraging your defense from being aggressive on offense. So improving the speed on defense will help the offense as well.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Questions:

1) what is his ceiling? Good pick?
2) who the **** is this guy?
3) can he play wing? :sarcasm:

All facets of his game are being compared to Ryan McDonagh (so thats his ceiling). Only reason he was relatively unknown is because this was his first year playing in the CHL. Had a great world championships

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A common comparable for Sanheim’s game is St. Louis Blues blue-liner Jay Bouwmeester

“My strength as a player is my skating,” said Sanheim, who is joined at the draft by brother Taylor, father Kent and mother Shelly. “I like to make a good first pass. I’m also able to jump up in the rush offensively and I see the ice fairly well.”

Sanheim’s development wasn’t a surprise to former Hitmen head coach Mike Williamson.

“The progression in the second half was more just him being comfortable and ready for the opportunities,” said Williamson, who is now the bench boss of the Tri-City Americans. “He’s not an arrogant person at all, but he’s confident in his abilities.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/06/26/elkhorns-travis-sanheim-rising-quickly-on-nhl-draft-lists

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Would you guys say he has the highest ceiling of all our dmen prospects? If not, who's is higher?

I think he has the most well rounded skill set AINEC. I'd also say he's the most likely to turn into a true #1.

But I'm not sure I'd say he has a higher ceiling than Morin.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think he has the most well rounded skill set AINEC. I'd also say he's the most likely to turn into a true #1.

But I'm not sure I'd say he has a higher ceiling than Morin.

Like him that much?

It'll be important to see if he can continue growing his offense next season. If he can take another large step it'd be a great sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad