Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Green getting hired elsewhere is just the closed loop retread carousel. It doesn’t indicate ability.

Reactions: I am toxic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Green departs Vancouver and lands somewhere else, it'll because he's willing to work cheap.

The Canucks are hardly the only NHL with an internal budget for how much they're willing to pay their head coach. The Pandemic has slammed the revenues of every team in the league.

But I agree with other posters.....the Canucks regular season under Green hardly screams 'coach of the year' material. And their defensive record has mostly been bad during his three years here.

But at the rate NHL coaches get recycled, he'll land somewhere.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Why the hell would any team hire Green? His stellar work in benching young guys or giving them almost no minutes? His amazing bottom of the standings results year after year? His "4D thinking" when putting the most incomprehensible line combinations together?

He should be behind every other name mentioned here.

If I was running a team I would look at college and ahl coaches before I ever considered Green.
Other than Boeser "sitting" the first few games, He gave him a shot in the top 6.
He gave Hoglander a shot in the top 6
He gave Hughes top Minutes, and PP time after just less than Half a season, as a rookie.
He gave EP40 top Center Position

The fact people keep saying ridiculous claims like he does not give young players a shot, is just not true what so ever.

Look what is Happening in Montreal, Caufield Sitting, KK Sitting, So many coaches never got kids shots, Green does, that's one thing he always does.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Zero conversations per Rick this morning.
Green is 100% Gone, It's Pretty obvious, The question is if Jim is leaving with him now.

I don't think Green is gone for good, I think its entirely dependent on if Aqulini decide to keep Benning. If Benning is gone, it's a clean opportunity for the new GM to decide on a coach without firing one.

Given how communication has been severed this past season it entirely reminds me of when Gillis was fired.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think Green is gone for good, I think its entirely dependent on if Aqulini decide to keep Benning. If Benning is gone, it's a clean opportunity for the new GM to decide on a coach without firing one.

Given how communication has been severed this past season it entirely reminds me of when Gillis was fired.
Apparently there has Been Zero Communication, I see no chance at the last second the owners drop a massive contract to keep green.
Green can't wait either, 5 spots open for coaches, He probably is already taking calls secretly

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
If I had my way, the Canucks would hire a coach like Gerard Gallant or Claude Julien. If they bring in someone inexperienced & still finding their way, it might be the same 'ol bs. Same goes for the next gm.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If I had my way, the Canucks would hire a coach like Gerard Gallant or Claude Julien. If they bring in someone inexperienced & still finding their way, it might be the same 'ol bs. Same goes for the next gm.
I think Cull gets promoted.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Green is a coach that won’t get the most out of the roster he’s been given unless he changes how he does things. He needs to craft a system around the roster he has not what he wishes he had. If an organizational decision is made to play a certain way then clearly the GM needs to bring in bodies to support that (I.e. what Gillis and AV did). Perhaps that is what has happened in Vancouver though a good chunk of bad acquisitions had Green’s stamp of approval which doesn’t reflect well on him.

Essentially Green hasn’t shown the ability to coach his way out of the management shortcomings to any degree. Give him a very good roster and he likely will do a decent enough job on the surface but it doesn’t seem like he’ll get that team over the hump.

Reactions: F A N

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Zero conversations per Rick this morning.
Green is 100% Gone, It's Pretty obvious, The question is if Jim is leaving with him now.
Pretty apparent that Benning wanted to re-sign Green, the owner said 'no'.

The media spin was that Green and the Canucks were far apart on 'money'. But doesn't look like any official offer was ever made to him.

Of course that's what happens to a coach when his team is at the bottom of the league in virtually every defensive metric, and is headed for lottery land for the second time in his three seasons of coaching here.

It's 'win or else' in the NHL....that's just the way it is.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
We’re going to get our third rookie AHL coach in a row aren’t we? I haven’t followed Utica in years. Is there anything at all to be hopeful about with Cull?

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Pretty apparent that Benning wanted to re-sign Green, the owner said 'no'.

The media spin was that Green and the Canucks were far apart on 'money'. But doesn't look like any official offer was ever made to him.

Of course that's what happens to a coach when his team is at the bottom of the league in virtually every defensive metric, and is headed for lottery land for the second time in his three seasons of coaching here.

It's 'win or else' in the NHL....that's just the way it is.
Willie D....winning % .498, gone after 3 seasons, Travis Green .488. Please help me understand why he has earned the right to a new contract??

Reactions: Zippgunn

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
If that brain dead f*** JB gets to stay then TG will be likely gone, JB always finds someone or something to blame on.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Green is a coach that won’t get the most out of the roster he’s been given unless he changes how he does things. He needs to craft a system around the roster he has not what he wishes he had. If an organizational decision is made to play a certain way then clearly the GM needs to bring in bodies to support that (I.e. what Gillis and AV did). Perhaps that is what has happened in Vancouver though a good chunk of bad acquisitions had Green’s stamp of approval which doesn’t reflect well on him.

Essentially Green hasn’t shown the ability to coach his way out of the management shortcomings to any degree. Give him a very good roster and he likely will do a decent enough job on the surface but it doesn’t seem like he’ll get that team over the hump.
Benning in some sense built the team that Green wanted. All those 3rd liners were signed because Green wanted his 3rd line to be what it is. I think the issue is that while those guys fit the profile Green wanted, they were all signed for too much money and too much term nevermind the fact those players are also all on a decline.

Reactions: F A N

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Seems more than Optimistic, Probably knows hes coming back, but was told not to say anything yet.
Let him throw out a bread crumb basically.
When ever rick is "pretty sure" hes always sure lol

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008

I agree 100% with Taj.
I feel They will fire the Assistant coaches + Weisbrod, keep jim and green and have sedins as assistant GM.
I think people would be pretty satisfied with that honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad