Travis Green Observation

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Such a random comment there Bonose, but I like it.

I'm fine with Greene, he has been giving our young players a lot of ice time.

He's been scratching Goldy and Hutton every other game?

In favour of the likes of....Dowd and Biega.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I'm sorry but doesn't everyone rag on our last GM for being "arrogant and condescending" for doing the same thing with the media?
I never complained about Gillis being arrogant? I liked Gillis.

How about you look for people that actually complained about how Gillis talked but like how Green talks and argue with them?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I never complained about Gillis being arrogant? I liked Gillis.

How about you look for people that actually complained about how Gillis talked but like how Green talks and argue with them?

You saw that I quoted the people who said it and made a reference to people complaining about it. It wasn't about you specifically, it was about the people here cheering Green's attitude while Gillis got flack for the same thing. Bowie Horvat who I quoted was one of those people, for example.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to search the post histories of every single person I quoted to see if they said a specific thing in the past that I didn't even accuse them of saying. It's not only unreasonable but it's unnecessary since I wasn't even making an accusation. This is a discussion board and I think it's interesting that Green isn't getting the hate for his attitude that Gillis got regardless of who is cheering him on.

Reactions: Morenz

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
You saw that I quoted the people who said it and made a reference to people complaining about it. It wasn't about you specifically, it was about the people here cheering Green's attitude while Gillis got flack for the same thing. Bowie Horvat who I quoted was one of those people, for example.
So? Different people liked different things. Argue with the people who have brought up hypocritical positions. Don't make the dumb mistake of lumping opinions into a group and assume that people who liked A also were those who liked B.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
So? Different people liked different things. Argue with the people who have brought up hypocritical positions. Don't make the dumb mistake of lumping opinions into a group and assume that people who liked A also were those who liked B.

I never said different people don't like different things. I enjoy differing opinions. How about you look for people that actually complained about how people have different opinions?

As I stated in my previous post I wasn't attacking you, arguing with you, or accusing you of anything. I was quoting all the posts in the thread that were cheering him on and bringing up that many people, not everyone, seem to see Green's attitude different than Gillis' and wondered what the difference was. Don't make the dumb mistake of not reading the post where I explained that I wasn't making any type of claim that you didn't like Gillis' attitude.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
As I stated in my previous post I wasn't attacking you, arguing with you, or accusing you of anything. I was quoting all the posts in the thread that were cheering him on and bringing up that many people, not everyone, seem to see Green's attitude different than Gillis' and wondered what the difference was. Don't make the dumb mistake of not reading the post where I explained that I wasn't making any type of claim that you didn't like Gillis' attitude.
Okay, maybe I'm not getting my point across so final attempt. Some people may have not liked Gillis being arrogant and complained about it. Others were fine with it and maybe some liked how he handled himself. It's the same with Green. Some feel he's arrogant (I've read posts), others don't care and others like it.

You're looking at a snapshot where "some posters complained about Gillis being arrogant" and then are asking why people are cheering on how Green handles the media. The two things are NOT CONNECTED. They are (largely) not the same people and people complaining Gillis was arrogant was not some zeitgeist that swept up all of Canucks fandom.

That's like me going into a real estate conference with people praising double digit gains and asking "What's the deal with people praising property prices rising when just last year, all I saw were people complaining about high prices?"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, Willie loved his former Medicine Hat Tigers, and Green is besotted with former Winterhawks.....it's just shame most of them couldn't play....fingers crossed for Pouliot and Leipsic.....but it's a crap-shoot,

Reactions: Nomobo

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Okay, maybe I'm not getting my point across so final attempt. Some people may have not liked Gillis being arrogant and complained about it. Others were fine with it and maybe some liked how he handled himself. It's the same with Green. Some feel he's arrogant (I've read posts), others don't care and others like it.

You're looking at a snapshot where "some posters complained about Gillis being arrogant" and then are asking why people are cheering on how Green handles the media. The two things are NOT CONNECTED. They are (largely) not the same people and people complaining Gillis was arrogant was not some zeitgeist that swept up all of Canucks fandom.

That's like me going into a real estate conference with people praising double digit gains and asking "What's the deal with people praising property prices rising when just last year, all I saw were people complaining about high prices?"

I regularly include quotes of people I agree with and then make an observation based on what the discussion is about. Many people here do. I've seen you post before and I've never seen you complain about Gillis being arrogant, nor did I ever claim you did so. The biggest Gillis supporters here that I've seen explicitly defend Gillis' attitude would have been quoted in my post as well if I saw them post the same thing you did.

The thing you're not understanding is that in no way was I even attempting to suggest that you didn't like Gillis or his attitude. I'm making an observation on the fanbase as a whole that tends to complain about Gillis' attitude (super common outside of HF, and it was extremely common here several years ago).

You walk into a real estate conference and walk over to some people to engage in conversation. They tell you something that you agree with and it seems that the majority of people even agree with. Then you ask why people had a very different reaction to a similar event in the recent past. That's what this is like. You're not asking why they thought differently in the past, you asked why the public reaction is different this time than it was last time.

Last edited:

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
It is pretty fun though, how Leipsic walks right on the team and gets every opportunity - definitely no bias there!
Of course there’s bias and it’s likely because they see he’s a better player.
Time will tell if they are correct.
Pretty simple really.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It is pretty fun though, how Leipsic walks right on the team and gets every opportunity - definitely no bias there!
He made a solid impact as his first game as a Canuck and seized the moment...cant argue with that...Who's been given the short end of the stick in your mind?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I love guys who don't suffer fools gladly, and I'll never understand why some people are put off by that.

Sure, but the thing we Green is: The Jury is still very much out on whether he is a fool to be suffered himself, he hasn't done or said anything particularly impressive this season, in fact he's done a few really dumb things (Benching Boeser for the first two games because he looked "Tiered") Bull shit!
Green was trying to take "Superstar College boy" down a peg or two, because those are two things Green never achieved, it was so obviously juvenile and led me to a less than favorable impression of our new coach.

He may need to prepare to start "suffering" himself

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Two of the only ones to have the balls to say anything other than the Canucks are in FANTASTIC shape and in GREAT hands? Yeah....clowns.

Those two are good in small doses, but holy christ! Never have two guys been more "Vancouver" than those two,

Their podcast is spent complaining and bitching about everything in their lives and talking shit about others to make themselves feel better

SO VANCOUVER

I actually had to turn them off once, not for negativity about hockey, but their whining about first world problems and constant negativity (towards other things in life, they have every right to be negative about the Canucks)

Generally, I like them as hockey reporters but I wouldn't hang out with either

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He made a solid impact as his first game as a Canuck and seized the moment...cant argue with that...Who's been given the short end of the stick in your mind?

Can you imagine if Goldy took three penalties in a game? Virtanen? Hutton? Leipsic got three points that night, but I feel like those other players would sit and “learn the game” from the press box for a game or two until “they get it”.

BTW, I like Leipsic and have been advocating for him since he got here.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Here's a Travis green observation, I observed this in the province and couldn't help but lol. What a pathetic professional sports team (after it's third shut out loss in a row):

Travis Green liked the way his club went toe-to-toe with the big and fast Ducks. He liked the manner in which his club created shots, even though the goals still aren’t coming.
“Our guys played their asses off,” he said. “We’ve got to score but it was more like a 1-0 game. You look at their second goal (Chimera). The call on Gagner and then the no-call when Edler gets hit in front of the net. One call is less than a second after the puck leaves his (Gagner’s) stick and the other call has to be made on the Edler hit.
“But it was a battle and felt like a playoff game.”

So pathetic. Going over little non calls and making excuses after you have been shut out three games in a row. is this the guy that's celebrated for being smug and not answering dumb questions? What a stupid comment lol.

And then, the coach of the team that has missed the playoffs 3 years in a row has the audacity to even bring up the playoffs and tell the fans that it "felt like a playoff game". It didn't feel like a playoff game watching it at home- knowing you were already eliminated from any possibility of making the playoffs. It didn't feel like a playoff game knowing you never had a realistic chance to even win the game. It didn't feel like a playoff game as absolutely nothing was at stake.

It was a joke and it felt like one.

The Canucks are the only team to go 82-0 when it comes to moral victories. Maybe that's what he meant? It was one of those moral games and we were morally in it till the end. It felt like a moral playoff game and they got yet another moral victory! What a battle.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Can you imagine if Goldy took three penalties in a game? Virtanen? Hutton? Leipsic got three points that night, but I feel like those other players would sit and “learn the game” from the press box for a game or two until “they get it”.

BTW, I like Leipsic and have been advocating for him since he got here.

Erm, Virtanen did indeed get 3 penalties (and no points) in one game but he is immune to being benched...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Here's a Travis green observation, I observed this in the province and couldn't help but lol. What a pathetic professional sports team (after it's third shut out loss in a row):

Travis Green liked the way his club went toe-to-toe with the big and fast Ducks. He liked the manner in which his club created shots, even though the goals still aren’t coming.
“Our guys played their asses off,” he said. “We’ve got to score but it was more like a 1-0 game. You look at their second goal (Chimera). The call on Gagner and then the no-call when Edler gets hit in front of the net. One call is less than a second after the puck leaves his (Gagner’s) stick and the other call has to be made on the Edler hit.
“But it was a battle and felt like a playoff game.”

So pathetic. Going over little non calls and making excuses after you have been shut out three games in a row. is this the guy that's celebrated for being smug and not answering dumb questions? What a stupid comment lol.

And then, the coach of the team that has missed the playoffs 3 years in a row has the audacity to even bring up the playoffs and tell the fans that it "felt like a playoff game". It didn't feel like a playoff game watching it at home- knowing you were already eliminated from any possibility of making the playoffs. It didn't feel like a playoff game knowing you never had a realistic chance to even win the game. It didn't feel like a playoff game as absolutely nothing was at stake.

It was a joke and it felt like one.

The Canucks are the only team to go 82-0 when it comes to moral victories. Maybe that's what he meant? It was one of those moral games and we were morally in it till the end. It felt like a moral playoff game and they got yet another moral victory! What a battle.

That 'it felt like a playoff game' quote is frankly embarrassing. And insulting.

This terrible team looked like listless garbage even relative to how bad they are on paper, and it was hard to not fall asleep watching the game. As it's been for most games recently.

I know Travis didn't play in many playoff games during his career, but if that's what he thinks one feels like ... jeez.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
That 'it felt like a playoff game' quote is frankly embarrassing. And insulting.

This terrible team looked like listless garbage even relative to how bad they are on paper, and it was hard to not fall asleep watching the game. As it's been for most games recently.

I know Travis didn't play in many playoff games during his career, but if that's what he thinks one feels like ... jeez.
Maybe next game they could make it feel like a stanley cup finals, game 7 game! That would be so cool and exciting. If they won - it would feel like winning the cup. Go Team!

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don't think it's worth getting too worked up about Green's post-gamers. He's media savvy and trying to shield his guys, it's been happening all year. He's not one to really criticize guys to the press.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad