Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Much like many other posters in here have already alluded to it, I’m going to say the at hiring Green was the wrong decision.

Should have been Julien
Julien seemed like he was out of touch with with the game for his last 5-6 seasons.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Bugs me. That Gerard Gallant was never seriously considered. 😐 apparently.

Great coach imo. Winning record. No bs 💩

But all I heard was how Berube was too $$$, and that our team was NOT "playoff ready".
So we hired a babysitter, on a budget. Hodor 💯 %

Gallant is not that great of a coach. There is a reason why he always gets fired after his 3rd season. Just another player friendly coach who never can make adjustments in game. Add to the fact that he refuses to admit if the team played a garbage game. Every time the team played like shit, he would act like it is just all sunshine and rainbows and that the team played well.

Reactions: Crosside

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
NJ fan here coming in peace. Green was the complete opposite of being fair. A few players got special treatment that no matter what they did wrong, nothing would ever change out of it. He even openly said in an interview that for some players, no matter how many mistakes they make, the minutes or usage won't be changed. Then you had other players who would make 1 mistake and get minutes reduced or benched immediately. There was a period of time when Luke Hughes played like utter trash & Nemec was playing like a true top pairing defender not making a single mistake. We were losing games so to shake things up he decided to bench Nemec for literally no reason. Meanwhile Luke was having a horrible stretch of hockey & he was the one worthy of being benched. Only reason why Nemec got benched in this scenario was because his last name wasn't Hughes. It had nothing to do with his play.

Sound like DJ Smith!

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not too keen on dump and chase, unless it's for a line change. These days, guys have too much puck and skating skills to do that reliably. And it also takes a ton of cardio that can hurt a team in the final period or last few minutes of periods.

I do want to see a more aggressive style of game. Force opponents to move the puck immediately or get hit. Force mistakes. Use what size we have to advantage. Crash the net.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I’m really curios who will be the assistants, these are as critical as the head coach. I want a former D as one of the choices. Jay McKee would be great.

Probably Tucker, Domi, Corson? And we better love them or else!

Very likely some derivation of this... Happy to help! :)

View attachment 867347

I'm guessing Travis Green was player "X" in the diagram above? Relax, I'm joking!

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Probably Tucker, Domi, Corson? And we better love them or else!

I'm guessing Travis Green was player "X" in the diagram above? Relax, I'm joking!
Better hope not.... It's far better he is the "O" that won, and well represents this...

1715235745588.png

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Staois with cuff links looked unreal. Best an Ottawa GM has ever presented.

My only concern is Travis Green seems to lack a sense of humour. Like he’d win the Cup and be mad at the Cuo that it wasn’t shinny enough

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Staois with cuff links looked unreal. Best an Ottawa GM has ever presented.

My only concern is Travis Green seems to lack a sense of humour. Like he’d win the Cup and be mad at the Cuo that it wasn’t shinny enough

don't mind. time for jokes and laughs is over.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The wait and see approach is entirely fair and level headed, that part is fine.

Crying on a message board about someone crying on a message board is objectively dumber than using the message board to vent and/or discuss something the team has done that you disagree with. That's the whole point of a message board. You're allowed to have faith in Staois, but not everyone is going to fall in line with appeals to authority from a rookie group who haven't proven anything yet.

This isn't specifically to you I'm just using this post as a jumping off point, but criticizing people for having an opinion on a message board is entirely silly. We're all here posting in the off-season about a team that didn't make the playoffs for the 7th straight year, we're all clearly fans of this team, people just have varying shades of rose to their coloured glasses.
You know this goes…

Now I accuse you of crying and crying about crying! ;)

As for the hire, I think that if Green can do and be the way he describes himself in his presser, well, it sounds exactly like what this team needs, exactly like what many/most have been clambering for all season for this group.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedWhiteBlackGold

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I can't believe there are still sens fans pointing to the record to close out the season and getting all optimistic?

Have you not learned anything?

Have you been hiding under a rock the last almost decade?

The sens are crap, and pointing to little things and expecting them to improve is insane. It's actually insane at this point.

I don't know whether to applaud you for still managing to be optimistic, or if there's underlying issues causing your blind optimism.

Either way, pretty neat.

I get it, you’ve lost your Sens mojo, but just because you have doesn’t mean the rest of us have, or want to.

Simply put, there’s no blind optimism. Some fans just don’t want to turn being a hockey fan into pointless bitterness and cynicism. I find it more perplexing that so many people seemingly choose to derive such misery from being a sports fan.

It’s actually pretty easy to enjoy the little things and look for silver linings when you want to enjoy sports. You’re not blind to the deficiencies, you just aren’t governed by them.

Nothing sinister, or grand, just exercising agency over your emotions and focusing on enjoyment.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Really interested to see who the assistants will be, I saw both Gruden and McKee were mentioned on Freidman and Marek's show as possiblies,

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Both hired by Staios in Hamilton. It’s basically guaranteed at least one of them is on this coaching staff.
I imagine it's guaranteed theyd be considered based on that past, but I suspect Travis Green has some say in who his assistants will be too.

For some reason I thought McKee had spent time as a development coach with StL but apparently I'm thinking of someone else.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
The fact that he straight up can't keep a job despite a winning record is a huge and very bright red flag.
I will take Gallant for 2 winning seasons in the playoffs..before he finally gets fired in yr3.

DJ had the recipe for keeping a coaching job. So you would prefer a 🤡?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I will take Gallant for 2 winning seasons in the playoffs..before he finally gets fired in yr3.

DJ had the recipe for keeping a coaching job. So you would prefer a 🤡?
Gallant's secret might be in the right place at the right time and ride the wave,

Had Florida not checked his record with Clb before hiring him? Yikes, 56-77-9...

Here's hoping Green found some of Gallant's secret sauce and signed in the right place at the right time, though we don't have Luongo like Florida did...

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Really interested to see who the assistants will be, I saw both Gruden and McKee were mentioned on Freidman and Marek's show as possiblies,
It's going to be Gruden and when Green eventually gets fried Gruden will get hired as interim then transition to the permanent head coach of the Sens

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It's going to be Gruden and when Green eventually gets fried Gruden will get hired as interim then transition to the permanent head coach of the Sens

Was thinking Todd Nelson would Make a good associate coach, approachable and nice and offensive minded so would be a counter balance to TG.

For sure 1 of the bench coaches will be French. And that’s cool with me. Alex Burrows type of guy.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
A coach will be allowed to hire all but one assistant. That assistant is a GM hire. The reasons are obvious.

Coaches will use their 2-3 hires to load up on loyalists. They are smart enough to know to be careful around the "company man".

Green will most likely bring some of the loyalists that have been with him since Vancouver.

Staios/Andlauer will hire a loyalist to them.

Which made the Capuano/DJ thing so strange. I always assumed Cap was a DJ loyalist. It turns out he may have been a company man.... or has some penalty clause in his contract that the Sens did not want to touch.

@BondraTime .. you think Cap some crazy clause that saved him this past season?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Green worked for Capuano so Cap May stick around, although I do think they clean house and come back with new bench bosses - Alfie and Sexton stay with the team but won’t be on the bench every night

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Green worked for Capuano so Cap May stick around, although I do think they clean house and come back with new bench bosses - Alfie and Sexton stay with the team but won’t be on the bench every night

Oh, I hope not. Cap is the one that desperately needs to be booted out the door.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd have liked Gallant for 2 seasons, but then he'd make stupid decisions like not developing any youth. Good thing is we don't have any youth, and by the time anyone we draft this or next year is ready to make an impact, Gallant will probably have been fired lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad