Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Get him to North America first, worry about all else second. Take this chance while we have it.

I can not wait to see this guy in Philadelphia. The most excited I've ever been for a Flyers debut.
I expected multiple cups when we got Lindros. I also expected to win the cup when we got Pronger. In fact I was sure of it.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Considering it is 2 in the morning over there right now, Im assuming we aren't gonna hear anything further

Reactions: scumpup

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Coming over sooner to leave in free agency sooner when they can't build a team.
Let’s hope! Waiting for the day he leaves so we can mock the organization. Maybe 8 -10 years from now. But we’ll get the last laugh.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
John Tortorella turned Martin St. Louis into Martin St. Louis.

One can only guess what would he turn Michkov into :sarcasm:
I am not commenting on the potential impact Torts will have on Michkov, as I don't think any of us can say for sure at this time. He would be great in his system, but we can't know how they will get along.

However, despite both sharing the characteristic of being undersized players, Marty isn't a great comparison. Their play style is similar enough, but MSL's developmental path was very unique. MSL was not a projected top talent. He was an undrafted free agent who played a full 4 years at UVM prior to going pro. Nobody projected greatness from him. He had to grind to even earn the opportunity to play at the next level. Guys projected to go early 1st from younger ages like Michkov have very different mentalities. I think Michkov's mentality is more in line with guys like patty kane/Ovi/Eichel/Lindros/etc than a dude who's whole career prior to breaking out was a giant "Earn it" system.

Michkov's mental development path likely has more in common with Vinny Lecavalier than it does MSL. Different players and play styles, but both were projected top picks with big expectations. Vinny thrived under Torts, Vinny like many former Torts players also voiced strong dislike for Torts at times.

We will see how it goes. Should be fun

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Lighten up, Francis!

giphy.gif

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Im assuming they acquire a veteran russian player at some point this offseason

Ad