Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAL] Canucks to acquire Lindholm (CAL) for Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Jurmo, 1st 2024, & Conditional 4th 2024

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On the flip side, while I would like to re-sign him now, he's also probably played well enough to price himself out of our range again. Somebody might actually give him that contract that he was rumored to have demanded in Calgary.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
This trade really gutted the winger depth, and it was wild that there was no follow up move. However, with EP moved to wing, the bois should be able to get through EDM, and can give Dallas a run for their $ so long as no one goes down.

A BROCK BOESER injury would be a killer.

There will be lots of talk about re-signing EL, what to do with Mikheyev and where to get another top winger, but that can all wait until this ride is over.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I believe the draft pick return to Calgary also goes up if we win tonight though.
Yep....as I understand the deal, the 'fourth rounder' becomes a 'third rounder' in this year's draft if the Canucks make the Conference Finals.

Could leave us without a pick until the fourth round of the 2024 draft...but who cares now?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Playoff performances so far:

1. Miller
2. Boeser
3. Garland
4. Lindholm
5. Zadorov
6. Joshua
7. Silovs
8. Hughes
9. Myers
10. Soucy
11. Suter
12. Blueger

13. Hronek
14. Pettersson
15. Hoglander
16. Di Giuseppe
17. Aman
18. Cole
19. Lafferty
20. Podkolzin
21. Karlsson
22. Juulsen
23. Mikheyev

Going to need a complete team effort tonight to put them away, can’t afford a single passenger in this crucial game, everyone needs to play at 100% of their capability, balls to the wall, let’s goooo!!!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Reading some of the 2024 draft sites, this year's crop experiences a real drop-off after the top eight or so.

I think it was definitely a factor in the Canucks dealing their first and a third or fourth rounder this year; after previously deciding to dump their second rounder in the Jason Dickinson contract sell-off.

I guess their assessment of the draft will be either proven or dis-proven by who Calgary selects in this upcoming draft. But if the Canucks do go to the conference final, it will be no better than 28th overall.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Reading some of the 2024 draft sites, this year's crop experiences a real drop-off after the top eight or so.

I think it was definitely a factor in the Canucks dealing their first and a third or fourth rounder this year; after previously deciding to dump their second rounder in the Jason Dickinson contract sell-off.

I guess their assessment of the draft will be either proven or dis-proven by who Calgary selects in this upcoming draft. But if the Canucks do go to the conference final, it will be no better than 28th overall.
Would be great if it's the last pick in the round.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Playoff performances so far:

1. Miller
2. Boeser
3. Garland
4. Lindholm
5. Zadorov
6. Joshua
7. Silovs
8. Hughes
9. Myers
10. Soucy
11. Suter
12. Blueger

13. Hronek
14. Pettersson
15. Hoglander
16. Di Giuseppe
17. Aman
18. Cole
19. Lafferty
20. Podkolzin
21. Karlsson
22. Juulsen
23. Mikheyev

Going to need a complete team effort tonight to put them away, can’t afford a single passenger in this crucial game, everyone needs to play at 100% of their capability, balls to the wall, let’s goooo!!!
Podkolzin should be a bit higher. He's only had one game in which he played very well, and better than Lafferty looked at any point.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Podkolzin should be a bit higher. He's only had one game in which he played very well, and better than Lafferty looked at any point.

That’s the only reason he’s low, very small sample size, looked good last game, looking forward to see how he performs tonight.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Turned out to be a solid deal. Hopefully we can bring him back.
Canucks will need to shed some salary for that to happen. I think his contract value has probably gone up considerably, given his playoff performance.

But if you based your salary decisions based strictly on the playoffs, you'd prioritize signing both Lindholm and Zadorov. But that may be impossible.

One thing is for certain, Rutherford and Allvin have a massive salary cap jig-saw puzzle to sort out this off-season.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012

can you edit this post to say just kidding or something?

FML

OU0mLI3.gif

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Well, not that I haven't voiced my stance on this, but now that it's over... This team simply couldn't afford the loss of Kuz without a replacement. The deadline is about improving a team, not gaining 1 better player. This isn't fantasy league. The move, ultimately, was lateral at best, and followed the 'play not to lose' efforts we saw down the stretch.

Lindholm is not a Kuz replacement, he was a Bleuger upgrade, a second matchup C. Discussing Linholms contributions, have pretty much nothing to do with losing Kuz at the wing.

Everyone points to the All Star game as when things started to turn, but that's just not true. The EP line started cracking as soon as Kuz started getting scratched. He glued EP and Mikheyev together into one of the best lines in the league for 1.25 seasons. Now most can't stomach to see them penciled in together.

The Canucks are largely a perimeter team, passing in circles. They had 1 guy that would regularly break the circuit and make a move to the net, that could actually pull it off. No bobbling pucks, no whiffing on open 5 holes. Kuz handled the puck like velcro, and is just a strong overall dude. He is not an easy guy to push off the puck. Over 60 career goals in 2 seasons, and at least 50 of them come with 1 foot in the crease. 'greasy playoff goals'.

At the time of the trade, Mikheyev was on a streak of 3 straight seasons, albeit shortened, with a 20g pace. I don't buy for a second that an adjusted deal couldn't have been made with him in Kuz' place. They already paid a textbook rental price for Lindholm, who by all accounts was not having a great season. Management even knew they left a hole at wing, and continued to shop around, almost surely using Mik as the cap space to do it. Just a classic case of putting the cart before the horse.

In regards to Tocch... His beef with Kuz was clearly personal. He was mostly intentionally vague as to his reasons, so as not to have double standards pointed out. Maybe he dislikes Indonesian food, or is a huge pepsi fan? He crossed the line of tough love, taking what seemed to be years of team underachievement, and offloading it all on 1 player.

We are talking about a 2nd year player here, that had the worst english on the team, just got his first dose of NHL $, and is prime age to put it all together. His turnaround was as predictable as it gets. Take a look at Kadri's bump in the 2nd half.... yea.

The EP line and PP ended up as the teams Achilles heels. We didn't even need Kuz at his best, just better than what we got from his alternatives (lol) I have no doubt we take both series in 5 if we traded the right Ruskie.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Well, not that I haven't voiced my stance on this, but now that it's over... This team simply couldn't afford the loss of Kuz without a replacement. The deadline is about improving a team, not gaining 1 better player. This isn't fantasy league. The move, ultimately, was lateral at best, and followed the 'play not to lose' efforts we saw down the stretch.

Lindholm is not a Kuz replacement, he was a Bleuger upgrade, a second matchup C. Discussing Linholms contributions, have pretty much nothing to do with losing Kuz at the wing.

Everyone points to the All Star game as when things started to turn, but that's just not true. The EP line started cracking as soon as Kuz started getting scratched. He glued EP and Mikheyev together into one of the best lines in the league for 1.25 seasons. Now most can't stomach to see them penciled in together.

The Canucks are largely a perimeter team, passing in circles. They had 1 guy that would regularly break the circuit and make a move to the net, that could actually pull it off. No bobbling pucks, no whiffing on open 5 holes. Kuz handled the puck like velcro, and is just a strong overall dude. He is not an easy guy to push off the puck. Over 60 career goals in 2 seasons, and at least 50 of them come with 1 foot in the crease. 'greasy playoff goals'.

At the time of the trade, Mikheyev was on a streak of 3 straight seasons, albeit shortened, with a 20g pace. I don't buy for a second that an adjusted deal couldn't have been made with him in Kuz' place. They already paid a textbook rental price for Lindholm, who by all accounts was not having a great season. Management even knew they left a hole at wing, and continued to shop around, almost surely using Mik as the cap space to do it. Just a classic case of putting the cart before the horse.

In regards to Tocch... His beef with Kuz was clearly personal. He was mostly intentionally vague as to his reasons, so as not to have double standards pointed out. Maybe he dislikes Indonesian food, or is a huge pepsi fan? He crossed the line of tough love, taking what seemed to be years of team underachievement, and offloading it all on 1 player.

We are talking about a 2nd year player here, that had the worst english on the team, just got his first dose of NHL $, and is prime age to put it all together. His turnaround was as predictable as it gets. Take a look at Kadri's bump in the 2nd half.... yea.

The EP line and PP ended up as the teams Achilles heels. We didn't even need Kuz at his best, just better than what we got from his alternatives (lol) I have no doubt we take both series in 5 if we traded the right Ruskie.
If the trade doesn't happen they don't get past Nashville. Lindholm's contributions to actually winning were essential. Kuzmenko's overall skill set does not fit well with Tocchet's coaching system/style. Without Tocchet's system this team doesn't get past the first round. The team definitely needs more scoring wingers but not at the expense of every other part of the game. Boeser's 40+ goals were only part of the reason he was dominant this year. His overall game, board battles, defensive zone work etc took a significant leap this year. He, like Lindholm, is a complete player. Kuzmenko is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad