Waived: Travis Boyd (Update - Claimed by Vancouver)

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
This is all about opening up more cap space. For the first time since early in the year there is nobody on LTIR - which means they can accrue space on a daily basis. This also opens up more flexibility at the deadline.

[Edit: I'll leave the post up but after posting it saw post #104 on this thread that explained the answer to my question-thanks.]

Canuck fan primarily, Leafs secondarily having grown up in and around Toronto and moved to BC in high school. I came to this thread to see what Leaf fans thought of Boyd and to that end reading this thread has been helpful.

Something I've found confusing is the number of posts like this one saying that waiving Boyd was done to open up cap space. Boyd's cap hit is the league minimum of $700K so unless the Leafs intend to go a player short on the roster, not replacing Boyd, how does waiving him save the Leafs cap space? Obviously if they don't replace him they save the vast amount of $700K (prorated, then prorated again this pandemic season) but if they do the cap hit of the replacement has to be equal to or greater than Boyd's minimum salary AAV.

Are the Leafs planning to go a player short on the roster? If not, then after Boyd's spot on the roster is filled how does it save cap space?

Thanks folks and have a great season.

Last edited:

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
My guess is Vancouver could not attract decent low salary FAs in the off season.

Now is their chance to grab these guys when they have no choice of where they want to play.

This is it 100%. First thought that came to my mind when I saw Boyd was claimed too. Dubas et al do all the work and some incompetent GM backdoors him. It's a pathetic look for Benning and really sucks for the players as I'm sure they took less to play in Toronto.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
One thing to remember; I believe 15 teams had higher waiver priority than Vancouver and all passed on Vesey and Boyd. Only Vancouver was desperate to pick them up. Even Ottawa passed on them and Ottawa usually likes our discards.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
[Edit: I'll leave the post up but after posting it saw post #104 on this thread that explained the answer to my question-thanks.]

Canuck fan primarily, Leafs secondarily having grown up in and around Toronto and moved to BC in high school. I came to this thread to see what Leaf fans thought of Boyd and to that end reading this thread has been helpful.

Something I've found confusing is the number of posts like this one saying that waiving Boyd was done to open up cap space. Boyd's cap hit is the league minimum of $700K so unless the Leafs intend to go a player short on the roster, not replacing Boyd, how does waiving him save the Leafs cap space? Obviously if they don't replace him they save the vast amount of $700K (prorated, then prorated again this pandemic season) but if they do the cap hit of the replacement has to be equal to or greater than Boyd's minimum salary AAV.

Are the Leafs planning to go a player short on the roster? If not, then after Boyd's spot on the roster is filled how does it save cap space?

The Leafs are desperately up against the cap to the point where they have been forced to lose Dell, Vesey and now Boyd because the accrued cap was more important than the flexibility of keeping them on the roster. And it's clear that GMs know this and won't give TO an inch (or an asset for some clearly coveted players). This is also why Dubas waited for Galchenyuk to clear waivers to give up an asset for him- clearing waivers in this case is much more useful than claiming a player and having them on your roster permanently.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Are people aware of roster limits?

Probably not.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $82,101,990

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $770,985

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $168,997

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $417,099
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $753,987
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
: $81,188,074
ROSTER SIZE: 21/23
CONTRACTS: 44/50
RESERVE LIST: 70/90

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This is it 100%. First thought that came to my mind when I saw Boyd was claimed too. Dubas et al do all the work and some incompetent GM backdoors him. It's a pathetic look for Benning and really sucks for the players as I'm sure they took less to play in Toronto.

Who the heck was offering Boyd and Vesey more money? I disagree with all this "backdoors him" stuff. Vancouver is not obligated to do the Leafs a favour. They are competing just as the Leafs are. Leafs put a couple of guys on waivers, Vancouver claimed them. End of story. Nobody did anything wrong.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Who the heck was offering Boyd and Vesey more money? I disagree with all this "backdoors him" stuff. Vancouver is not obligated to do the Leafs a favour. They are competing just as the Leafs are. Leafs put a couple of guys on waivers, Vancouver claimed them. End of story. Nobody did anything wrong.
I do think Benning is petty enough to still be pissed off about the Corrado thing. But I just think it's a byproduct of these guys getting more exposure by playing in Toronto. Kind of like when we lost both Mac and Pickard the same day. They weren't neccessarily the best goalies available, but we talked for weeks about how they would get claimed and eventually they did.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

They can send him to the taxi squad or to the minors, the NHL cap hit would come off the books.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I do think Benning is petty enough to still be pissed off about the Corrado thing. But I just think it's a byproduct of these guys getting more exposure by playing in Toronto. Kind of like when we lost both Mac and Pickard the same day. They weren't neccessarily the best goalies available, but we talked for weeks about how they would get claimed and eventually they did.

Brings up an interesting question, do the Leaf's lose more people to waivers than other teams?

If the answer is yes, would that not suggest that other teams feel our waiver players have some sort of value and our management team failed to assess their value? Not that a 5th rounder is much but couldn't we at least get something? It must be the Scottish in me, I hate giving up anything for nothing.

Might also mean other teams know we will be doing this due to the cap hell we got ourselves in, why give up anything if you know the other guy is boxed into a corner and has to use waivers to manager their cap?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
@Bluelines It means the Leafs are good at pro scouting, and evaluating and signing free agents. As a result, they have a surplus of NHL-worthy players.

Reactions: Lauro

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I sure hope there's some future benefit to losing these guys. They would have been somewhat useful as depth.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011

It's all about Daily Cap Hit , we had 4 days off so sending Vesey down clears us of his hit for those days , and builds us some piggy bank change for heavier days ahead , the same goes for Boyd we were starting another 4 days off if they clear we keep them in the AHL or on the Taxi squad until we need them and we can move them around for free on off days if we do bring them back up . Smart move by Benning I'm surprised there hasn't been more of this around the league this year .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
It's not a lot of money but if you try to waive big money guys and lose them for no return then theres a bus ride to the unemployment office in somebodies near future . Tho secretly \I'm sure we all have that one big money player we would love to see gone , most have more than one eh lol .

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's all about Daily Cap Hit , we had 4 days off so sending Vesey down clears us of his hit for those days , and builds us some piggy bank change for heavier days ahead , the same goes for Boyd we were starting another 4 days off if they clear we keep them in the AHL or on the Taxi squad until we need them and we can move them around for free on off days if we do bring them back up . Smart move by Benning I'm surprised there hasn't been more of this around the league this year .
Why did they move up Lily to roster? Would that not reduce da piggy bank? Da logic is not clear to me?
And I realize some teams will give young guys an NHL paycheck for a few days to help them out over their AHL salary?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad