Waived: Travis Boyd (Update - Claimed by Vancouver)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Solid player but he tailed off a bit near the end. Tough business where you essentially have the be dialed in every night.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
The thing with Gally that has stood out is his energy and excitement and desire to get in there and take the body and at least skate fast and with purpose ...
All those other guys that have been given the opportunity haven’t shown any of these attributes for the vast majority of their shifts and games

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I thought he was a decent 4th line player. What makes him worse than Engvall, for example?

Engvall is significantly better in his own end and can PK. Even Vesey, who was deemed as useless, provided some value outside of scoring.

Useless would have been an upgrade for Boyd. Other than scoring at an unsustainably efficient rate at the beginning of the season (mostly thanks to Spezza), he was a liability. I am fairly sure the last game he played, he was directly responsible for 2 goals against despite playing less than 10 minutes that night. If you aren't scoring and you suck defensively, you are not getting in the lineup.

Other than losing depth, and he wasn't even great depth, losing him is no big deal. The Leafs can just hunt for other depth guys on the waiver wire or use Petan, Brooks, Barabanov, Robertson, and Anderson. All of them are probably better options anyways. It opens up a contract spot to potentially add some NCAA UFA's to be added depth for this year and next as well. There are some guys out there who look like they could be quality additions for the Leafs right out of the gate. European UFA's can't come over this year I don't think, but there are few of those guys as well.

Reactions: freshwind

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Wouldn’t surprise me if he passes through waivers, also wouldn’t surprise me if he gets claimed. If he gets claimed, at least Joey Anderson has a better shot at a call up and I’d rather give Anderson the opportunity than Boyd.

Reactions: MJK and LeafChief

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Wouldn’t surprise me if he passes through waivers, also wouldn’t surprise me if he gets claimed. If he gets claimed, at least Joey Anderson has a better shot at a call up and I’d rather give Anderson the opportunity than Boyd.
Anderson, Barabanov, Petan, Agostino, etc. Leafs aren’t hurting for 4th line pieces.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I thought he'd be helpful in the playoffs, when checking gets tight, he seemed like a guy who wouldn't shy away from that

He definitely tailed off but I assumed that would have made him hungrier. Hope he clears but he wont

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad