Traverse City Prospect Tournament: Vesey Leads Tournament in Points/Goals

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
lol that goal by Day

Gropp found him as the trailer and lost the puck for a second before getting the shot off

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Tall blocky pupper never seems to perform well at Traverse City. Not exactly the perfect way to judge a goalie but you had certainly hoped for better. Looking forward to following his season this year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Vesey continued to be the best player, almost had a hatty

Buch looked better and more comfortable, more assertive on the ice

Day also looked much better in general, not just because of his scoring.

Halverson, eh...would like to see him make a big stop or two

Zborovskiy looked like he was trying to force things and made some mistakes in doing so.

Ronning is quick but just can't create anything so far at this level

Kovac's and Stromwall got some chance but didn't capitalize and generally looked like they weren't getting as much their way as they were in earlier games

Hopefully Nieves is OK.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
3rd or 4th makes little difference. If not the championship, then it's all moot.

Great to see Vesey perform like he is too old and experienced for this type of tournament because he is. That will lead to a nice camp for him. Free pupper is working out nicely so far. Good for Sean Day to show a bit of why the Rangers took a chance on him and it's not just picking the guy that was once oop ooped. I thought that was a good look at Gilmour. Interested to see what happens with him.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I'm not a viewer of many of these smaller prospect camps and tournaments but it seems like our team was very much a lot of high power puppers and a lot of low quality puppers. Hopefully in two years, we have a more talented 3rd and 4th line at Traverse.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Buch's best game of the tourney was tonight, IMO. Did a really nice job passing the pack around on Power Plays. Doesn't have the flair of Vesey, but I think it's now easy to see that Vesy & Buch play completely different styles. Buch is definitely more the cerebral type, looking to make a quality pass and set people up. Vesey is more the power type, always looking for the back of the net. Very happy with both guys tonight.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
This is why the power of friendship will decide if Buch struggles to hit 30 points or is a 50 point player by the end of the season. Lots of friendships will really help Pavel reach his potential.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Five guys only played 1 game. Goalie Raaymakers, not surprising since Halverson was going to get the bulk of the work, defensemen Bobyk and Malatesta, who probably were there to fill out a roster, Morrison, who only played in the first game so I'm thinking he might have been hurt and Zach Zborosky. Turner Ottenbreit and Dylan Di Perna played in 3 games but I am not sure I saw them in the third period of the last game. Of the invitees i'm guessing Reid Duke and Nick Betz may get AHL contracts but I doubt the Rangers are using one of their 50 contracts on any of the invitees. It will be interesting to see who the Rangers invite to camp later this week. Assuming the US is finished in the World Cup, they'll be missing Henk and Zuke but they will have plenty of goalies in camp and they have enough forwards that they may not need to bring someone in to fill out the camp roster.

Vessel, Buchnevich, Kovacs and Day looked to me to have the most pro potential and I will particularly be looking out for Kovacs and Day as they develop this year.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Jimmy Vesey digivolves to.....

Jimmy Vessel.

gallery-1468006039-titanic-cover-poster.jpg

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The best tryout player was Raaymakers and I think he's still eligible to be drafted. I don't see an NHL player in Betz and Duke is a reach. DiPerna seemed the best of the D but I wouldn't be giving any of these guys NHL contracts.

Joly's more a winger than a center and his line with Kovacs and Stromwall were -3. Joly has nice skills but a -5 for the series in 3 games.

I actually liked Ronning and Gettinger in the tournament. Ronning has tons of energy. Gettinger for an 18 year old did okay.

Fogarty was underwhelming all in all. Buchnevich better in the last two games but not a great series for him either. Andersson's maybe an okay AHL player. He ain't someone I would waste a preseason game on. Gilmour did some nice things--he's not ready either. Day had an up and down series but two goals tonight has to feel good. He's an 18 year old and I'd cut him some slack. Zborovskiy was okay tonight--probably his worst game of the tournament. Gropp's best game too but he's a long way away.

Don't know what happened to Nieves. His going out hurt our lines a lot.

For Halverson it was a mediocre tournament. Tonight he was crap.

Vesey continued to shine. A lot of his goals in the tournament were the result of determination. You could see that determination when he flew down the ice--turned the D and went hard to the net for the Rangers second goal.

Mar 26, 2004
I'm not a viewer of many of these smaller prospect camps and tournaments but it seems like our team was very much a lot of high power puppers and a lot of low quality puppers. Hopefully in two years, we have a more talented 3rd and 4th line at Traverse.

No thanks; I'm good with prospects consisting of "high power" and "low quality" rather than bottom 6 potentials. Have you seen the # of those we've signed this summer? Much easier to plug in bottom 6 than top 6.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Congrats to Vesey who SHOULD be the named the best player of the tournament.

Kid is going to be GOOD.

I know a lot said he was all hype, but you shall be wrong. Kid will be a 40 pointer his rookie year this season..you shall see :) Kid is LEGIT. Will be very excited to vote him #1 on our prospect poll soon. Buch might have higher upside, but Vesey will be a 50-60 point player in the NHL, and a great player in both zones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad