Travel to Pittsburgh

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Hello Pittsburgh people!

Wondering if anybody had any suggestions in terms of things to do around the arena for out of towners visiting for a weekend/the Leafs and Pens game. We both like beer and food and breweries. Also anything that’s a “must see” outside of those 3 things would be much appreciated as a suggestion!

You like beer, food, and breweries? Check out Lawrenceville:

Google Maps

Breweries in Lawrenceville:

Hop Farm Brewing Company - Pittsburgh Craft Beer
Roundabout Brewery
Full Pint Brewing Company
Welcome
Welcome

Breweries kinda near Lawrenceville:

Home | Hitchhiker Brewing Co.
Are you 21?
Draai Laag
Grinding Out Great Beers - Grist House Craft Brewery
alleghenycitybrewing

Food in Lawrenceville? Probably just Yelp it:

The Best 10 Restaurants near Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh, PA - Last Updated February 2018 - Yelp

Reactions: HarrisonFord

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lawrenceville is the new trendy area, but is not at all near the arena, as in walkable.

But the food there is great. You can even create your own poutine.

thumb_600.jpg

Menu - Lawrenceville - Franktuary

My girlfriend and I also really love Piccolo Forno. Added to the good food is that it is a BYOB place with a small charge, and has a Mezcal bar basically attached, Round Corner Cantina ( Round Corner Cantina, Pittsburgh - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor ).

It would really depend on what his definition of 'near the arena' is. If he means to park a few hours before the game and enjoy some food and brews and then walk right into the arena, then Lawrenceville is not going to do it.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Where are you staying? My #1 rec these days is the Southern Tier satellite brewpub on the North Shore. There's other good spots around there too including Burgatory right next door which makes a hell of a burger.

Always recommend taking one of the inclines up to Mt. Washington for the view. Monongahela Incline is the one more suited to public transpo/walking to and from, starting at Station Square.

If you're into museums at all, Carnegie Natural History and Art Museums (both for one admission price) in Oakland are really good. And if you go to Oakland Fuel & Fuddle is a good food/beer spot too. Also the Warhol Museum is on the North Side too near the previously mentioned places.

Thank you!

We’re staying near Grant and 6th if that helps!

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Much appreciated guys that’s a huge help! You can always check stuff from reviews online but it’s honestly way better to get recommendations from actual people who live there

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I totally missed the "near the arena" portion. I'll have an updated list at some point today.

@HarrisonFord -- updated:

I'd stay within this bubble on the triangle:
Radius Around a Point on a Map

Pizza and beer?
Pittsburgh's Proper Brick Oven and Tap Room

Beer?
Sharp Edge

Barbecue and beer?
BBQ Restaurant Pittsburgh PA | BBQ Near Me | Pork & Beans

Tacos and beer?
Condado Tacos - Tacos, Tequila, Margaritas - Columbus, Pittsburgh

Museum?
Senator John Heinz History Center

Bar food and cheap beer?
Souper Bowl - 910 5TH Ave Pittsburgh, PA 15219 - 412-471-0216

Last edited:

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Much appreciated guys that’s a huge help! You can always check stuff from reviews online but it’s honestly way better to get recommendations from actual people who live there

For downtown stuff, don't sleep on Market Square either. Winghart's is one of the best burgers in the city (good whiskey selection too if that's your thing). It also has The Yard (grilled cheese and great beer place) and City Works has a massive beer selection. See below link (just zoom in a bunch ;) ):

Maps

HealsAndFlats

Oct 9, 2014
NJ
hi guys, Isles fan road tripping with my son to the game on 3/3.
any ideas on where to meet or catch the visiting teams entering the arena? is there a certain outside entrance area where the visiting team enters, or do they just come in through a private area where fans cant really get to?

any help appreciated, looking forward to the game, and my first time at the arena. Havent been to Pittsburgh since the days of the Igloo. thanks

Biz Nasty

Proudly blocked by DK
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh
hi guys, Isles fan road tripping with my son to the game on 3/3.
any ideas on where to meet or catch the visiting teams entering the arena? is there a certain outside entrance area where the visiting team enters, or do they just come in through a private area where fans cant really get to?

any help appreciated, looking forward to the game, and my first time at the arena. Havent been to Pittsburgh since the days of the Igloo. thanks

Im pretty sure the visiting team buses go in thru the player parking area which is fenced off.

Your best bet would be to catch them at their hotel. Visiting teams usually stay at The Fairmont downtown and players usually stop for fans on their way to the buses. I generally see them as I’m leaving work around 4, so I would suggest that route if your son is trying to meet the players

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
For downtown stuff, don't sleep on Market Square either. Winghart's is one of the best burgers in the city (good whiskey selection too if that's your thing). It also has The Yard (grilled cheese and great beer place) and City Works has a massive beer selection. See below link (just zoom in a bunch ;) ):

Maps

I can vouch for The Yard. we ate dinner there when we were in town for the games on MLK weekend. their short rib poutine is incredible and I don't usually like poutine.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
This should be stickied.
Only so many threads are allowed to be stickied. There's a link to this thread in the 'Visiting Pittsburgh' etc thread. Since we don't have a post limit anymore, we probably won't make a new one when this eventually hits 1,000, so it should be good for a long time.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Only so many threads are allowed to be stickied. There's a link to this thread in the 'Visiting Pittsburgh' etc thread. Since we don't have a post limit anymore, we probably won't make a new one when this eventually hits 1,000, so it should be good for a long time.

Ah, I didn't realize any of that.

fischi

Apr 8, 2009
PA
I have a good friend who is huge Pens fan and he wants to take his kid to their first game in Pittsburgh. He was talking about possibly getting a chance to see Sid and get an autograph. Any suggestions on good locations and the best places to see players coming and going? I am a Flyers fan and I come in peace and yes we actually watch many games together. He has had the better of it the last few years to say the least.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
I have a good friend who is huge Pens fan and he wants to take his kid to their first game in Pittsburgh. He was talking about possibly getting a chance to see Sid and get an autograph. Any suggestions on good locations and the best places to see players coming and going? I am a Flyers fan and I come in peace and yes we actually watch many games together. He has had the better of it the last few years to say the least.

if you can get to the arena 4hrs before the game and wait you may have a chance. go to Our Way and Magee St intersection by PPG Paints Arena. Just look it up on google maps. They drive down Our Way into the arena. That's where they enter the arena. Crosby leaves that way as well after the games. He signs for a couple people each time so that's why it is best to get there early. If you are the first ones there you have a really good chance of getting a signature.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
Coming to Pitt tomorrow to catch my first game at the consol Sunday. Looking for recommendations on where to go? Where to drink? Best bars, best food. Coming with my girlfriend both mid 20s

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Any recommendations for places to golf? I searched the thread for "golf" and came up with nothing, so sorry if it's been discussed.

Looking for a public course, around $40-$50. What are some nice spots?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Any recommendations for places to golf? I searched the thread for "golf" and came up with nothing, so sorry if it's been discussed.

Looking for a public course, around $40-$50. What are some nice spots?

I don't know anything about courses, but this is the on that is closest to me:

2017 Rates

Followed by The Oakmont, but I think that is private.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
We stayed at the William Penn Hotel which was really close to the arena but you had to pay for wifi in your room and no continental breakfast.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Maps
I came here to recommend this... The Yard is incredible. Their soup is incredible and I'd really love to get the recipe. it's so thick, almost like a sauce for the grilled cheese rather than a soup. Man, I can't wait to go back!

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
We stayed at the William Penn Hotel which was really close to the arena but you had to pay for wifi in your room and no continental breakfast.

we did Embassy Suites. made to order breakfast, evening reception (also known as open bar) and free Wifi for Hilton Honors members.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm looking to do a trip to Canada that includes a few days in Pittsburgh. I'd be trying to do it in October time so I can see a Pens game or two and a Steelers game. But what else is there for someone to do? I'd probably only be there 3 days before going elsewhere. I've been to the Submarine and the Science Center and up the Incline. Anything else?

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm looking to do a trip to Canada that includes a few days in Pittsburgh. I'd be trying to do it in October time so I can see a Pens game or two and a Steelers game. But what else is there for someone to do? I'd probably only be there 3 days before going elsewhere. I've been to the Submarine and the Science Center and up the Incline. Anything else?

If you can, venture outside the city into the surrounding counties. Fallingwater in Fayette County is definitely worth driving to & only 43 miles from downtown. Plus you get the added bonus of seeing the leaves change & that’s worth it in of itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad