Travel to Pittsburgh

WI Pens Fan

Nov 17, 2017
Hi everyone!
After years of dreaming, I am bringing my family to Pittsburgh (first time for all of us) and our first Penguins game. Having no experience with the city or PPG Paints Arena, I am looking for suggestions. We plan to arrive after ten hours on the road at around supper time on Friday night. We'll have all day Saturday and a game Saturday night. The kids are 6, 8, & 10. Suggestions appreciated! We won't have much time, but what are the must do/sees? Any advice on the arena experience?
Thanks all!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hi everyone!
After years of dreaming, I am bringing my family to Pittsburgh (first time for all of us) and our first Penguins game. Having no experience with the city or PPG Paints Arena, I am looking for suggestions. We plan to arrive after ten hours on the road at around supper time on Friday night. We'll have all day Saturday and a game Saturday night. The kids are 6, 8, & 10. Suggestions appreciated! We won't have much time, but what are the must do/sees? Any advice on the arena experience?
Thanks all!

This thread has everything you need. Enjoy. :)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I like travelling to Pittsburg to see a game. Your "kids" experience is different that mine. I like parking on the other side of the river by the baseball stadium and Worhol museum. It's an enjoyable 20 minute walk, (at least for adults) and this way I don't have to fight with the cars leaving the parking lots by the arena. The fans have always been polite even to "visitor" teams. For me the best bargain in food was the slice of pizza and pop. Pizza always hot.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Speaking of pizza, I know a few places have been mentioned before on here but as I'm lazy :laugh: and can't be arsed to look back please can people post their favorite places again here?

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Just remembered now, I'll be going to the outdoor skating rink at PPG Place too. If anyone here that can skate wants to come along and laugh at me there can do :laugh:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Checked in, WooHoo

Sidenote, anyone here have the Lyft app? If you could be so kind could you PM me a discount code, I've used all mine :(

Many thanks.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
This was from another thread, but wanted it in this one:

Okay, so that's the Greentree/Carnegie/Crafton area.

If you want/need to go out to breakfast, you can try Bob's Diner or Gab n Eat in Carnegie. If you want to risk having terrible service, there's also Eggs r Us in Greentree.

Friday night -- if you're staying near your hotel -- check out Carnegie. Some decent bars and restaurants in that area. If you're going elsewhere, check out the following websites for what to do/where to drink:

Pittsburgh Magazine
News, Dining, Music, Best Of, Arts, Film | Pittsburgh City Paper
NEXTpittsburgh - Pittsburgh news, events, neighborhoods
Fitt Pittsburgh | Presented by UPMC Health Plan
Discover the Burgh - Sharing The Best of Pittsburgh

The above have some good lists/maps.

Saturday, I would suggest going downtown (Market Square) or near the stadiums (North Side/Shore). I like The Yard in Market Square and really want to check out the Southern Tier that just opened on the North Shore.

Last note: taxis/Ztrip in Pittsburgh are extremely unreliable. Try Uber or Lyft.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just remembered now, I'll be going to the outdoor skating rink at PPG Place too. If anyone here that can skate wants to come along and laugh at me there can do :laugh:

We skate there every Christmas season, but it can get really packed on weekends.

Not sure when you plan on going, but if you aren't a good skater, try to go on a weekday in the afternoon if possible.

I'm a good skater, but when it's packed, it's hard to maneuver around all the little kids. You always have a dozen or so little kookballs who fly around the rink thinking they are cool, but they usually can't skate quite as well as they think they can.

It's great for my edge work and all, but sometimes you can't defy physics. I literally had to pick up a kid and carry him one time when he cut me off...

HealsAndFlats

Oct 9, 2014
NJ
isles fan planning a trip out to pittsburgh for the 3/3/18 game. i have been to the igloo many times but never to PPG Arena.

any tips on meeting visiting players as they arrive at or leave the arena - a typical time or the location where they enter the arena?

also i am still searching for my tickets. is there a forum topic on the pens board for fans to buy/sell extra tix,? i browsed the pens boards but couldn't find one.

thanks in advance for any info.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
isles fan planning a trip out to pittsburgh for the 3/3/18 game. i have been to the igloo many times but never to PPG Arena.

any tips on meeting visiting players as they arrive at or leave the arena - a typical time or the location where they enter the arena?

also i am still searching for my tickets. is there a forum topic on the pens board for fans to buy/sell extra tix,? i browsed the pens boards but couldn't find one.

thanks in advance for any info.
Our ticket thread died a long time ago. Your best bet is to go the official website and click on the ticket button. It will give different options for purchasing tickets. As for the rest, sorry, I can't help you with that.

mikethegoalie32

Nov 26, 2008
Hey Everyone,

me and 3 buddies are coming down for the leafs game in February from Ottawa. We are scratching off Columbus and Pittsburgh in our "See every rink" resolution.

We are thinking about doing the drive straight from Ottawa on Friday, so will have Friday evening and all day Saturday to do Pittsburgh.

Was wondering:
- What the heck we should do Friday night.
- If you can name one or two places we have to visit on Saturday, what would they be.
- Finally, is there any outdoor rinks near by that has some pick up hockey going on? Us Canadian boys would love to play some hockey while down there, but googling only brought up indoor rinks. Anyone want to play some puck?

Still looking for 4 tickets to the leafs game as well if anyone knows anyone selling.

Thanks all.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Hey Everyone,

me and 3 buddies are coming down for the leafs game in February from Ottawa. We are scratching off Columbus and Pittsburgh in our "See every rink" resolution.

We are thinking about doing the drive straight from Ottawa on Friday, so will have Friday evening and all day Saturday to do Pittsburgh.

Was wondering:
- What the heck we should do Friday night.
- If you can name one or two places we have to visit on Saturday, what would they be.
- Finally, is there any outdoor rinks near by that has some pick up hockey going on? Us Canadian boys would love to play some hockey while down there, but googling only brought up indoor rinks. Anyone want to play some puck?

Still looking for 4 tickets to the leafs game as well if anyone knows anyone selling.

Thanks all.
For good food/drink/fun try the Strip District or Lawrenceville. Lots of bars with good bites and also more foodie places. Another possibility is Market Square.

Pretty sure there is an outdoor rink at Schenley Park, just a couple miles from downtown Pgh.

Also HOCKEY in Pittsburgh | Teams, Clubs, Leagues & Rinks

Enjoy yourselves!

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Coming into town for the Sharks/Pens game on Tuesday 1/30. I was curious about the row numbering when looking at seats. Saw what looked like pretty good tickets in the upper bowl in the $35-$40 range before Stubhub fees. What letter do the rows in the upper deck start at? Would like to know before I buy something way in the nosebleeds.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I haven't been in every section, but remember reading that there really are no bad seats in the arena. No obstructed views, etc.

The stairs can get a little steep in those upper sections, but the newer arenas are designed to give pretty good views wherever. I have been up there now and then and didn't mind them at all.

Here is an interactive seating chart.

Pittsburgh Penguins Seating Chart & Interactive Map | SeatGeek

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Hello Pittsburgh people!

Wondering if anybody had any suggestions in terms of things to do around the arena for out of towners visiting for a weekend/the Leafs and Pens game. We both like beer and food and breweries. Also anything that’s a “must see” outside of those 3 things would be much appreciated as a suggestion!

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hello Pittsburgh people!

Wondering if anybody had any suggestions in terms of things to do around the arena for out of towners visiting for a weekend/the Leafs and Pens game. We both like beer and food and breweries. Also anything that’s a “must see” outside of those 3 things would be much appreciated as a suggestion!
Where are you staying? My #1 rec these days is the Southern Tier satellite brewpub on the North Shore. There's other good spots around there too including Burgatory right next door which makes a hell of a burger.

Always recommend taking one of the inclines up to Mt. Washington for the view. Monongahela Incline is the one more suited to public transpo/walking to and from, starting at Station Square.

If you're into museums at all, Carnegie Natural History and Art Museums (both for one admission price) in Oakland are really good. And if you go to Oakland Fuel & Fuddle is a good food/beer spot too. Also the Warhol Museum is on the North Side too near the previously mentioned places.

Reactions: HarrisonFord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad