Confirmed with Link: TRANSACTION: The #NHLJets have claimed F - Adam Brooks off waivers from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
il_fullxfull.1063504294_2h76.jpg
Damn....this is good. This actually popped into my head when I heard the news.

Reactions: sipowicz

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My ongoing criticism of our bottom 6 is usually not well received, since people like to focus on our top 6 as the problem, but IMO historically our organization has suffered from our bottom 6 being really weak compared to top competition.

I liked our bottom 6 last year, but that was an exception.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The 2017 draft is full of players who haven't played 100 games yet. 17 out of 31 selections are under 100 games played. Vesalainen has done more for the Jets this year than Cody Glass has done for the Predators. He has been a bust.

I remember Harkins in the AHL. He was playing like an AHL then he had that crazy spell where he had like 25 points in 15 games which facilitated a call up. Has Harkins been given much of a chance in the top 6? It is great to look back at the talent available though but also realize, would they have been given the same opportunity in Winnipeg?

Vesalainen - 57 gms, 5 pts
Glass - 70 gms, 22 pts
I'll take glass thanks.
Preds got him for practically nothing. He is playing well in the AHL this year, which is where Vesalainen should be.

Reactions: Ggg99 and Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd agree with that -
I'd also say that if we had the means to change / improve any area of our line up, (IMO) it would be working on the D before I moved on the the bottom 6.
I see it as area of improvement that would be more impactful.
It's debatable - but I see us struggling in the D zone most nights - even against nonplayoff teams.

As for the bottom 6, we should be able to rely on the top 6 to offset that shortfall (if the top 6 is performing up to their abilities) -
In other words, our offense is better than our defense - the skill is there even if we struggle (sometimes) with production.

Are our struggles in the D zone about the D corps? They are only 2 of the 5 skaters on the ice.

IF I concede your point about the D, we are still left with the fact that improving the D zone play is, or at least should be, a lot harder than upgrading our bottom 6. Bottom 6 F are the easiest commodities to find for bargain basement prices.

I'm not sure that our bottom 6 issues are about a lack of decent players. Usage an d line combos play a part. Our bottom 6 players may be better than the stats show, if they were used differently.

That point may be moot right now with our injuries. We don't have the bodies to optimize the usages now.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Are our struggles in the D zone about the D corps? They are only 2 of the 5 skaters on the ice.

IF I concede your point about the D, we are still left with the fact that improving the D zone play is, or at least should be, a lot harder than upgrading our bottom 6. Bottom 6 F are the easiest commodities to find for bargain basement prices.

I'm not sure that our bottom 6 issues are about a lack of decent players. Usage an d line combos play a part. Our bottom 6 players may be better than the stats show, if they were used differently.

That point may be moot right now with our injuries. We don't have the bodies to optimize the usages now.

Referring to the bold, IMO, yes - or at least that is where I would begin in sorting out the issue.
All 5 play a role in defensive coverage but the guys down low and in front need to be able to handle traffic (w/help from the center) and that is where our problems start - we struggle with possession, the cycle, and the first pass (although that has improved to a degree - but you still need possession to be effective puck movers). Net front is driving Helle crazy - teams are setting up shop in front of him and we don't seem to have an answer.

I agree that upgrading the D would not be nearly as easy as it would with our D -
But I wasn't really commenting on what would be easier - more about what would be more impactful.

Like most, I'd like to see us improve in both areas but I would argue that any success against the top teams would depend more on a D upgrade than adding to our bottom 6 - IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Referring to the bold, IMO, yes - or at least that is where I would begin in sorting out the issue.
All 5 play a role in defensive coverage but the guys down low and in front need to be able to handle traffic (w/help from the center) and that is where our problems start - we struggle with possession, the cycle, and the first pass (although that has improved to a degree - but you still need possession to be effective puck movers). Net front is driving Helle crazy - teams are setting up shop in front of him and we don't seem to have an answer.

I agree that upgrading the D would not be nearly as easy as it would with our D -
But I wasn't really commenting on what would be easier - more about what would be more impactful.

Like most, I'd like to see us improve in both areas but I would argue that any success against the top teams would depend more on a D upgrade than adding to our bottom 6 - IMO.

It seems to pretty often be our better D men on the ice when we get hemmed in (not always) and very often it is Scheifele's line. He is playing better in the D zone lately so there may be a partial solution, if he keeps it up.

I think every team is having trouble in front of the net if the offensive team goes there. The crack down on cross checking has had an effect there, though I'm not sure they are still calling it as much as they did early season. But defending the net front is a tricky balance. Two guys shielding the goalies view are worse than 1. If they are battling, the defender is likely to get a penalty. They can tie up the other player's stick. That works well sometimes. But it still leaves 2 guys blocking the goalies view. I don't think there is a perfect solution to that.

I see a lot of opportunities for the wingers to gain possession and the Jets wingers have not been very good at it, turning it right back over too often. Of course the D men need to do their part too. But it looks like a 5 man issue to me.

I doubt anyone is more aware of the issue of regaining possession in our end than I am. It drives me crazy. :laugh: But I don't really know the solution.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
holy shit, just read their board, leafs fans are on some sort of next level delusional shit.
Yeah, reality over there is a distance memory.
If somehow they manage to get past the first base err...round and then lose, shit will go sideways in the GTA area.

Interested to see what this kid brings to the table, gotta be better than a good portion of our bottom 6.
It's like a black hole where offense goes to die... it's like watching James Wright...a whole lineup of James Wrights.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, reality over there is a distance memory.
If somehow they manage to get past the first base err...round and then lose, shit will go sideways in the GTA area.

Interested to see what this kid brings to the table, gotta be better than a good portion of our bottom 6.
It's like a black hole where offense goes to die... it's like watching James Wright...a whole lineup of James Wrights.
Very disappointed with Vaseline, i'm just not seeing anything promising out of him at all.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I know... Jebus...can we send/loan him for mental reconditioning to some Finnish team?
He's got a shot, but it has disappeared at the NHL...why?!?!?
I feel like our Finnish players in 2.0 have had issues generally in adapting to the game or something within our org.

Laine: Started on fire, fell off a cliff and wanted to leave
Niku: Couldn't find his footing
Vesalainen: Not really playing any style at all
Heinola: Started on fire, really struggled, now seems to be back on track

I wonder what Teppo Numminen is doing? I'd entertain the thought of replacing Huddy with him. Teppo was a defensive stalwart with some offensive flair to his game, and the added bonus is we could have someone who might be able to help with our Finnish guys.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I know nothing of Brooks but whatever happened to Connor, Dubois and Svetch as a line. I thought they played well when they were a thing.

Lowry doesn't seem too happy with Svech, but also the numbers seemed to say at the time that Svech was a fortunate passenger of the dominant duo of Connor and Dubois, and wasn't really adding anything to the line.

Reactions: Pandemonia

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lowry doesn't seem too happy with Svech, but also the numbers seemed to say at the time that Svech was a fortunate passenger of the dominant duo of Connor and Dubois, and wasn't really adding anything to the line.

The line worked well when he was there.

I don't mind taking a look at Brooks there. Why not?

But neither Vesa nor especially Poganski should play ahead of Svechnikov - anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad