Confirmed with Link: TRANSACTION: The #NHLJets have claimed F - Adam Brooks off waivers from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Vesalainen - 57 gms, 5 pts
Glass - 70 gms, 22 pts
I'll take glass thanks.
Preds got him for practically nothing. He is playing well in the AHL this year, which is where Vesalainen should be.

Ryan Ellis is practically nothing? Vesalainen has been by far the worst performing 1st rounder we have taken that is for sure. I am just saying Cody Glass was taken 6th overall 4 years ago and has tallied 0 points this year in the NHL. Cody Glass so far has been a bigger disappointment than Kristian Vesalainen. Imagine the uproar here if Scheifele, Ehlers, or Trouba had to play in the AHL when they were 22.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Knowing very little about Adam Brooks to the point of me asking here if anyone can give me some info on him, I would like to see what he brings while playing a 2nd line role. I am intrigued by his goal scoring ability although the 1st highlight I found of him was Jake Allen giving the puck to a Maple Leaf while behind the net resulting in Adam Brooks with a gimme.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I looked up scouting reports.. some reports state he is 5'10" while others say 6'0"

What I read is "Brooks is a smart forward who works his ass off and does what his coaches ask him to do. He’s a gifted playmaker. He’s worked through some tough injuries, including concussions, and surged back"

Sounds like his story is that of a late bloomer who was pushed to the side in Toronto for young prospects. This year he has played about 10 minutes a game. Cannot do much playing 10 minutes in a 4th line role yet he has 2 goals.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ryan Ellis is practically nothing? Vesalainen has been by far the worst performing 1st rounder we have taken that is for sure. I am just saying Cody Glass was taken 6th overall 4 years ago and has tallied 0 points this year in the NHL. Cody Glass so far has been a bigger disappointment than Kristian Vesalainen. Imagine the uproar here if Scheifele, Ehlers, or Trouba had to play in the AHL when they were 22.

They got Glass for Nolan Patrick. They got Philippe Myers for Ryan Ellis. Patrick was tossed in. IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Cody Glass is on a slow development curve. Relative to draft position he might be worse than Ves. But if Preds offered a 1 for 1 swap, I'd be all over it in a hurry.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Hopefully we find out one day what Svech did to make Lowry hate him so much.

It's very odd. Could be inconsistency, could be taking penalties, could be petulance (!), could be that Biiiiiig Dave just doesn't like him.

Feels like Svetch is a one and done with the Jets, but would be interesting to see him back after Lowry gets turfed (my guess) for next season.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Lowry doesn't seem too happy with Svech, but also the numbers seemed to say at the time that Svech was a fortunate passenger of the dominant duo of Connor and Dubois, and wasn't really adding anything to the line.
Which numbers? Just curious.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Hopefully we find out one day what Svech did to make Lowry hate him so much.

He's not an up and down meat and potatoes player - which is likely what Lowry wants in the bottom 6.
Why he didn't put him back with KC / PLD when Cole went down, is a mystery -
It might be that Lowry sees skill or grit - but misreads the guys that have a little of both.

Hopefully he sticks with the Jets until Lowry is gone

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Svech seems a bit flakey, and he's like alot of bottom 6 players who seem to have the skills but just cannot consistently generate chances. He will play very physical one shift and disappear the next. Question his hockey IQ which dooms so many bottom players from delivering the potential they seem to have.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Svech seems a bit flakey, and he's like alot of bottom 6 players who seem to have the skills but just cannot consistently generate chances. He will play very physical one shift and disappear the next. Question his hockey IQ which dooms so many bottom players from delivering the potential they seem to have.

Sure, he has flaws - but he is a LOT better than some who are playing.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It wouldn't surprise me if it's that the clever coaches think his playing style looks lackluster, and therefore want to play ineffective but hard working players ahead of him, damn the results.

Yep. He ain't no Austin HustleGanski.

Not sure Brooks is gonna solve the Jets' moar hustle/ moar board-crashing problem, but if he can rush about with some skill and chip in with some scoring it's a nice add.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I was just curious as most metrics with/without show being slightly stronger with him. Just a glance though and the sample without him is considerably higher now.
It’s pretty odd though.

I think the overall metrics I'm remembering may end up with the line being slightly better with Svech than without but his impact was really negligible. I can't seem to find them with just a quick search but I will find them.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the overall metrics I'm remembering may end up with the line being slightly better with Svech than without but his impact was really negligible. I can't seem to find them with just a quick search but I will find them.

The line was better with him. His individual numbers might have mattered when the alternative was Perfetti. It certainly didn't matter when the alternatives were Poganski and Vesalainen. We'll see how Brooks manages there. But if Brooks does well we should still see Svech in the bottom 6 ahead of Poganski and Vesalainen - and it isn't even close. Its flipping ridiculous. It almost looks like Lowry doesn't want to be a HC in the NHL.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The line was better with him. His individual numbers might have mattered when the alternative was Perfetti. It certainly didn't matter when the alternatives were Poganski and Vesalainen. We'll see how Brooks manages there. But if Brooks does well we should still see Svech in the bottom 6 ahead of Poganski and Vesalainen - and it isn't even close. Its flipping ridiculous. It almost looks like Lowry doesn't want to be a HC in the NHL.
Yeah, I think this is the main point. The line was effective when he was a part of it and nobody other than Perfetti has shown they even belong in a bottom 6 role, let alone a top 6 one.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Even if he was a passenger, right now he's not competing with Ehlers/Perfetti/Wheeler/Copp/Stastny for lineup spots. He's competing with guys like Vesalainen/Harkins/Poganski/Reichel for bottom-6 spots and losing out. Is there any real argument that he is worse than those 4 guys? Even as a passanger, PLD/Connor have looked better playing with Svech than they have with Vesalainen/Harkins.

Even when Maurice broke up that line he wasn't taking him out of the lineup even when fully healthy. Lowry seems to have something against him that he's not even putting him in the lineup when we are decimated by injuries up front and instead opting to play guys like Poganski and Reichel who weren't any part of the Jets plans to start the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad