GDT: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Karlsson and Klimovich look like the same player on the ice. From their speed to their size, although the good thing for Klimovich he's 5 years younger.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Karlsson and Klimovich look like the same player on the ice. From their speed to their size, although the good thing for Klimovich he's 5 years younger.
Klimovich is a one dimensional power scorer with speed and hands to go with his shot. Can make some totally braindead plays

Karlsson has a bit more to his game but has concrete in his skates, despite that seems to find himself in a good position usually in all three zones, has a dangerous shot but with his pace the puck needs to find him, whereas Klimovich creates scoring chances

Theyre different players, Klimovich needs to add a dimension to his game before hes an NHLer. Either defensively or leaning further into a physical role

Reactions: Grantham

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
i think they could have moved ferland's contract for a 2nd easily. all it takes is a team with cap space or already in ltir that is willing to buy a 2nd for 3.5 mil. that's a bargain

poolman is unmovable though. too much money and too much term for a below replacement level player
Ferland’s contract is not insured so that means the team that trades for it will need to cover the full cost. That’s real money and LTIR is only useful for teams spending above the cap.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Should be tossing Poolman on waivers and claiming Valimaki. I remember when Kylington was on waivers and being pissed we didn't grab him. It never hurts to throw darts and grab young guys for free instead of hanging onto useless overpaid vets that no one will even claim on waivers.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i think they could have moved ferland's contract for a 2nd easily. all it takes is a team with cap space or already in ltir that is willing to buy a 2nd for 3.5 mil. that's a bargain

poolman is unmovable though. too much money and too much term for a below replacement level player
For 3.5 million real cash?
I think it might be a bit more expensive than that

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Rosters have to be finalized by 5pm(Eastern). Today is the last day for players to be placed on waivers and have them clear in time for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Is it sad that i am excited for the details of the day... hehe... like a trade deadline or draft day excited

I’m am completely biased but I love this stupid stuff. Team building and management is completely fascinating to me. These big days where a lot of snap decisions are made are so interesting.

Now today is usually a bit of a quieter day and it’s just a lot of fringe roster moves. BUT! I love the minutiae!

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I’m am completely biased but I love this stupid stuff. Team building and management is completely fascinating to me. These big days where a lot of snap decisions are made are so interesting.

Now today is usually a bit of a quieter day and it’s just a lot of fringe roster moves. BUT! I love the minutiae!
Yeah amen to that. Personally i can find adding a player at any level and the details about what they bring and how they fit equally fascinating. It is one big giant machine.

Reactions: MarkMM and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I agree team building has become super fun and interesting to follow. oddly enough while we stank I became way more aware of it as I wasn't paying attention to a great team anymore.

Post-2011 I almost entirely dipped out. A big part of that was I moved out of the country for 2 years. Now the last 2 years have started to pull me back in because everything previous management was doing was so wrong. It was fascinating; like a crazy science experiment. I think there incompetence got me to really dig deep into the actual correct ways to do things.

And here we are, I’m making spreadsheets for interesting waiver claims (which separate from the 6 other spreadsheets I made) and happily awaiting to see how I did at predicting who would be interesting targets.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hopefully Hughes is ok..even though the Canucks are playing it down..Its a bit ominous when he's been absent from practices.

I expect to see Boeser back in the lineup by game #3...no idea whats up with Garland (he's had a really good pre season).

Reactions: canucksfan

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Valimaki claimed by Arizona. I called that shit!

Very very surprised Friedman cleared. Good depth guy that can play either side at league minimum for two seasons.

Reactions: Nucker101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Valimaki claimed by Arizona. I called that shit!

Very very surprised Friedman cleared. Good depth guy that can play either side at league minimum for two seasons.
I remember Valimaki playing for the Flames back in 2018-19..You could see the oodles of potential that he had, I was really impressed...Picked 16th OA.

He's 24 now, and has regressed due to a slew of injuries..He's a bubble /3rd pairing player now.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
canucks didn't waive di giuseppe or poolman so the opening night roster is probably:

kuzmenko - pettersson - podkolzin
pearson - miller - boeser/karlsson
hoglander - horvat - garland
joshua - aman - lazar

hughes - schenn
oel - poolman
stillman/rathbone - burroughs

demko
martin

scratches/ir:

boeser/karlsson
stillman/rathbone
myers
mikheyev
di giuseppe
dermott
ferland

dermott or di giuseppe will have to start on ltir unless one or two of karlsson, aman and rathbone are sent down to get everyone under the cap

they could also send down one of karlsson, aman or rathbone to make a waiver claim but there's not really anyone on waivers i think they'd be interested in (at least that they have the cap to claim)

ferland will definitely be on ltir

Reactions: Lindgren

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
it's going to be interesting to see what happens when players start getting healthy. vancouver are strapped for roster spots. karlsson is an easy cut but then you have to choose between rathbone, di giuseppe, aman, hoglander and burroughs for the next cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad