GDT: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That interview is really worth listen to if you are interested in how a proper training camp is conducted. Early on he goes into his skate test. Let's the players know in July what it involves. You can tell he puts a lot of thought and planning into this. Approaches training camp with a purpose.

Really hoping that is actually true and we can get a good look at it.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
training camp should be fun. hopefully the regulars don't feel too comfortable that their spot is safe. someone might impress in camp and in presason. that their spot could be theirs to lose. i.e dickinson/dermott. etc.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
E__2QipUUAMzSG3.jpg

Off to a better start this camp.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Sometimes I think this photo justified the #5 OA pick.
A picture can be quite telling. This one will forever etched in memory when I think of the previous era of Canucks management.

An obvious error of a high pick that was highly touted by an incompetent management team showing up to camp out of shape 5 years later and a moronic coach proceeding to bag skate him to death.

That was just to the worst god awful way to start camp and was a harbinger to how the next few months would play out.

Not sure how this entire season will play out but you can bet the moral is better this time around.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
A picture can be quite telling. This one will forever etched in memory when I think of the previous era of Canucks management.

An obvious error of a high pick that was highly touted by an incompetent management team showing up to camp out of shape 5 years later and a moronic coach proceeding to bag skate him to death.

That was just to the worst god awful way to start camp and was a harbinger to how the next few months would play out.

Not sure how this entire season will play out but you can bet the moral is better this time around.
I actually have a shirt with Juolevi laid out like that and it says always tired. Someone put together the shirt when that happened and I bought it on a whim.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
This team is so much more likeable than it has been in years past with so many giant fragile egos gone now. The atittudes and personalities of players like Kuz, Pod and Hog are a lot more fun than the attitudes of Gudbranson, Sutter, Green, Eriksson, etc.

Things may not be perfect in Canuckland but it'll be more fun to cheer for this team this year than it has been for a long time.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
So many positive vibes coming from the first scrimmages of training camp, and also in this thread, keep it up :thumbu:

Love hearing players like Demko and Hoglander testing each other, awesome to hear. Making everything competitive, which is good for the overall team environment. The overall positive presence of Kuzmenko has been great, and a coach that sheds confidence into all players and fans is amazing too. I'm really looking forward to the Canucks this year. The question's and possibilities of Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Rathbone, Hoglander, and Mikheyev.

I agree with the poster above, this really is the most I've been excited for a Canucks season in about 10 years.

Loving it...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It seems like every Canuck training camp, there's more 'wishing, hoping and praying' than there are expectations. Just about everything has to go right for past Canuck teams to even hang around in the playoff race. And of course their chances were killed right out of the gate when they plummeted to the bottom of the standings..

But this edition of the Canucks just feels different. Solid in goal; more center depth than almost any team in the Western Conference; and oozing character in the room. The blueline is still a concern, but Boudreau seems to be a past master at extracting the maximum out of every player, especially his d-men.

Obviously they'll be in tough with Calgary and Edmonton; but I like their chances of third in the Pacific over L.A. and Vegas.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This team is so much more likeable than it has been in years past with so many giant fragile egos gone now. The atittudes and personalities of players like Kuz, Pod and Hog are a lot more fun than the attitudes of Gudbranson, Sutter, Green, Eriksson, etc.

Things may not be perfect in Canuckland but it'll be more fun to cheer for this team this year than it has been for a long time.
Underrated aspect of the stupidity of the Benning regime is how many so-called leaders were brought in who turned out to be giant dicks who also couldn't deliver on the ice.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Im extremely excited that Kuzmenko will play every pre season game and will likely be tried with all 4 centres and all wingers. That will be exciting alone

Reactions: CanuckCity

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The fact Green lasted as long as he did was almost as big a surprise as how long Benning lasted.

He was always a shit coach and an arrogant prick.

There’s a reason he hasn’t got a job anywhere else since as much as the media chirped how “great” he was.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The fact Green lasted as long as he did was almost as big a surprise as how long Benning lasted.

He was always a shit coach and an arrogant prick.

There’s a reason he hasn’t got a job anywhere else since as much as the media chirped how “great” he was.
I wonder who gets an NHL level job again first: Green or Benning?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I wonder who gets an NHL level job again first: Green or Benning?
Benning due to his OBC connection will probably get some stupid scouting role.

Green is quite possibly the worst coach I have ever seen. Attitude aside...he showed no abilities in understanding the game and failed to employ any sort of system in 7 years with the organization (Comets and Canucks).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Both of their contracts expire the same time, so there's no leg up there.

I kind of think it's Green that gets picked up somewhere first. He'll get brought in as an assistant somewhere. I say this because even when he was fired he still had a belief around the league that he was a good coach (who knows why) and will ride that into another opportunity.

Benning's disaster run as GM is a lot harder to hide behind excuses. He'll quietly get thrown a bone by a friend or former colleague brought in as a scout. (Ie maybe Chiarelli will pull for him in St. Louis. ) but I'd be very surprised if he gets into a position higher then director level again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad