GDT: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Very surprised Penguins put Friedman on waivers. Many had him pencilled in for them.

Valimaki should get claimed. I don’t really think it’ll be the Canucks though.

Reactions: mossey3535

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Valimaki isn't going to get claimed by Canucks. I think Allvin is trying to do a bigger move for a RHD

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
With the way the roster is shaking out due to injuries, I think they are more likely to start with 2 spare forwards (Boeser and Mikheyev) and one D (Stillman/Rathbone/Burroughs). Myers starts the season on IR but neither Boeser or Mikheyev are.

Karlsson doesn’t look like he belongs and would be better off in the AHL. With Di Guiseppe’s injury, that leaves the team without an obvious forward you’re comfortable scratching. I suspect, if there is a waiver claim, it will be for a forward. They take one of the spots if Boeser or Mikheyev aren’t ready. When both are healthy, it’s a fight between Aman, Joshua, Hoglander, and Waiver Player for ice time. Once Myers is healthy then whoever has performed best stays and the other gets sent down/waived. That way they maintain 8 defencemen and 13 forwards.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Valimaki isn't going to get claimed by Canucks. I think Allvin is trying to do a bigger move for a RHD
Yeah? Why do you think that?

I think Mark Friedman would be a good fit as a depth piece but the Canucks have all depth d men except for Hughes. Need a high end guy.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Waiving Wolanin after a good camp, but keeping Poolman on the roster, and bringing in a more expensive depth LHD in Stillman to take a spot is just...frustrating all around.
Dont worry there's absolutely no similarities between new and old mgmt.

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Dont worry there's absolutely no similarities between new and old mgmt.
Unfortunately you’re wrong. They’ve dealt a 2nd and 3rd rounder since taking over. Added a 4th. Signed lucrative contracts and added lots of cap. All while not addressing the tragic defense or the major cap problems. And don’t tell me saving 1.3 million a year does that.

They have different names and look different but it’s the same shit.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Unfortunately you’re wrong. They’ve dealt a 2nd and 3rd rounder since taking over. Added a 4th. Signed lucrative contracts and added lots of cap. All while not addressing the tragic defense or the major cap problems. And don’t tell me saving 1.3 million a year does that.

They also got back a third

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017

I believe that was sarcasm by VanilaCoke. BTW, that was a damn delicious beverage, one of my all time faves.

I have to say, I don't really like this move. Seems the injuries forced their hand.

From our limited insight into what the master plan is by the new management, deals like this a discouraging as they are too reminiscent of the Benning/Aqua 8 year nightmare.

Seems like more owner meddling here to save him some money from the surface of it.

Stillman better not be a dud, or this deal looks really dumb.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Unless someone claims him (oh please oh please oh please)

dare to dream

I have to say, I don't really like this move. Seems the injuries forced their hand.

Stillman better not be a dud, or this deal looks really dumb.

100% this was injuries. try to make a roster that doesn't require putting one of myers, boeser or mikheyev on ltir with dickinson still on the roster. management effectively paid a 2nd to turn dickinson into two bodies so they don't need to dress injured players and play with a short bench to start the season

paying the 2nd to move ferland's contract would otherwise have been better as that would have let them avoid being stuck in ltir all season but moving ferland's contract doesn't help field a team

Reactions: Grantham

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
dare to dream

100% this was injuries. try to make a roster that doesn't require putting one of myers, boeser or mikheyev on ltir with dickinson still on the roster. management effectively paid a 2nd to turn dickinson into two bodies so they don't need to dress injured players and play with a short bench to start the season

paying the 2nd to move ferland's contract would otherwise have been better as that would have let them avoid being stuck in ltir all season but moving ferland's contract doesn't help field a team
Ferland’s uninsured contract will take more assets to move. Ditto with Poolman, that will take like a 1st or multiple 2nd picks.

Reactions: racerjoe

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Ferland’s uninsured contract will take more assets to move. Ditto with Poolman, that will take like a 1st or multiple 2nd picks.

i think they could have moved ferland's contract for a 2nd easily. all it takes is a team with cap space or already in ltir that is willing to buy a 2nd for 3.5 mil. that's a bargain

poolman is unmovable though. too much money and too much term for a below replacement level player

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You can't say they didn't give Poolman every chance to show he could still play. I think they were really hoping he'd find that extra step and he either doesn't have it anymore or is too contact-shy to use it. If he'd had any game at all it would be less painful to move him or play him, as it is you almost hope they find a way to get him back on LTIR.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Waiving Wolanin after a good camp, but keeping Poolman on the roster, and bringing in a more expensive depth LHD in Stillman to take a spot is just...frustrating all around.
Canuck’s have always let contracts , tenure , experience influence their roster vs dressing the best players in that moment. Been going on forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad