GDT: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's almost like actual training camp should start on September 1 and exhibition games on September 15 and the NHL regular season should start on October 1 at the absolute latest.

But instead, every year we start on like October 14 and then the league is playing games in June and nobody cares.
Yes I never can wrap my head around this.

And I know your not a big World Championships guy but I am and I would love to see another rounds worth of players available as currently this is the best we have for best on best comp

Reactions: Tritsche and MS

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think the team will give him a PTO but as a favor for a good pro. To give him an opportunity to show what he's got, even if they have no intention of signing him.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
In before we invite Chiasson on a PTO and sign him to league minimum on the last day after he gets PP1 time all preseason

That is nightmare scenario stuff
What is wrong with Chiasson? He is better than most still developing young players, and may end up earning the team a point or two over the course of the season. Points are important, because you just need to get in, then anything can happen. Ever heard of a little thing called The Bubble?

Was just wondering, what is everyone's definition of success for the team this upcoming season? What would need to happen for you to say that it was a pretty good season?

For me, it is all about development still this season, and putting the foundation in place for a couple of years down the line.

1) EP becomes the undisputed #1 center on the team. I still believe that he has the potential to be a top 10 C in the league and key to the core's chance of a Cup.
2) QH is top 5 in Norris voting. Continue his development into a top D in the league.
3) Demko is a Vezina finalist. Pretty much just continue what he has been doing.
4) Podz - Still young but hopefully a top 6 fixture by end of the season.
5) Hogz - Same as Podz
6) Rathbone/Dermott - Regulars on the blueline showing signs that they can step into the top 4 if necessary.
Stanley Cup victory, or it’s a failed season. The Canucks signing Miller to that deal signalled their commitment to winning the Stanley Cup during the four years Demko makes 4,000,000.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's almost like actual training camp should start on September 1 and exhibition games on September 15 and the NHL regular season should start on October 1 at the absolute latest.

But instead, every year we start on like October 14 and then the league is playing games in June and nobody cares.

Ideally... the season + playoffs would span from October to mid April; with the league cutting down on the number of games including the All Star Game.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
1) EP40
2) JTM9
3) BH53
4) BB6
5) CG8
6) VP92
7) AK96
8)NH21
9) TP70
10) IM65

4 of these forwards cannot be in the top six. Think about that.

Bottom 6 has to have Lazar, Dickenson etc in there so….

Reactions: Steamer

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
1) EP40
2) JTM9
3) BH53
4) BB6
5) CG8
6) VP92
7) AK96
8)NH21
9) TP70
10) IM65

4 of these forwards cannot be in the top six. Think about that.

Bottom 6 has to have Lazar, Dickenson etc in there so….
Personally, rather start Miller, EP and Horvat down the middle.

See if EP can keep up. If not, switch him to wing.

Go deep with 3 scoring lines and a checking line.

With this d, need alittle more run and gun and hope Demko just keeps up enough.

Reactions: mossey3535

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
My concern with OEL Hughes is how that shapes the rest of the D up. Do we see a Poolman-Myers and Rathbone-Dermott? That sounds…. Not good.

Dermott-Myers I imagine...which I could see working TBH, Dermott's strengths (lateraly mobility, neutral zone defending) complement Myers weaknesses. Especially given OEL-Hughes can probably play some higher-leverage minutes than Hughes-Schenn ever did.

The main concern I have here is we are one injury from a serious downgrade in the top 4 (Rathbone, Schenn, Poolman, DeKeyser...)

Reactions: mossey3535

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Benning due to his OBC connection will probably get some stupid scouting role.

Green is quite possibly the worst coach I have ever seen. Attitude aside...he showed no abilities in understanding the game and failed to employ any sort of system in 7 years with the organization (Comets and Canucks).
If Eakins AND Desjardins can both find jobs, there (sadly) is hope for Green.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I just don't think an OEL and Hughes pairing is a good idea. It makes the rest of the depth awful, and I am convinced Myers was better last year because OEL was a calming presence. I think OEL has to stick with Myers to keep Myers a viable option in the top 4.

That's also why Canucks need another top 4 defenseman, LD or RD, that can play with Hughes. Schenn, Poolman, Dermott, and Rathbone can fight for the bottom two spot.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
who cares about the top six thing that much

just significantly limit your 4th lines ice time

who cares how much lazar dickinson joshua etc play

you have what is supposed to be an elite top nine - just play the shit out of them so they all get top six minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad