GDT: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think if Anaheim moves on from Eakins, Green gets hired. Him and Newell Brown can be reunited.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Benning and Green could both have NHL jobs right now if they wanted them. The reason they don’t is because they are both under contract for next season so any job they accept must have incentive.

Benning could get a scouting job right now; guaranteed. I’m doubtful he’ll ever get serious GM consideration again. Maybe he’ll be an AGM and then slide into interm-GM when his bungling inevitably aids in getting his GM fired. Probably tops out as Director of Amateur Scouting somewhere.

Green will be a coach somewhere. Green could resurface as a mid-season replacement or a candidate next off-season. He’ll slide into the AHL head coaching ranks or NHL assistant if nothing materializes before his contract runs out.

They are both as old boys club as you cooks get. Their buddies will get them a job. Just like how Rutherford brought on Tallon.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Benning and Green could both have NHL jobs right now if they wanted them. The reason they don’t is because they are both under contract for next season so any job they accept must have incentive.

Benning could get a scouting job right now; guaranteed. I’m doubtful he’ll ever get serious GM consideration again. Maybe he’ll be an AGM and then slide into interm-GM when his bungling inevitably aids in getting his GM fired. Probably tops out as Director of Amateur Scouting somewhere.

Green will be a coach somewhere. Green could resurface as a mid-season replacement or a candidate next off-season. He’ll slide into the AHL head coaching ranks or NHL assistant if nothing materializes before his contract runs out.

They are both as old boys club as you cooks get. Their buddies will get them a job. Just like how Rutherford brought on Tallon.
Benning just needed a little more time.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Benning will go back to scouting, Green will see if he can another coaching job. Both will get paid this season so I doubt they are desperate for money and/or job security.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Benning due to his OBC connection will probably get some stupid scouting role.

Green is quite possibly the worst coach I have ever seen. Attitude aside...he showed no abilities in understanding the game and failed to employ any sort of system in 7 years with the organization (Comets and Canucks).
Agreed, and when I heard he was allegedly coveted around the NHL, I found it very very hard to believe.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Can’t freaking wait for camp to start.

Also - feeling pretty bad for Tyler Motte that he is still without a deal. There’s one guy I sure wouldn’t mind us bringing to camp / trying to sign for cheap.

I’m pretty sure he was offered a contract here before being traded and turned it down.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’m pretty sure he was offered a contract here before being traded and turned it down.

He was, but the market was different then. The trade and free agent market has been a lot lower this summer than many (including him and his agent, I’m sure) thought it would be.

I don’t think it’ll take much to sign him on a one year deal, and he’s not only a quality player, but a quality human being, too.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes getting Motter back would be awesome

Share in the enthusiasm fellas just last night at the Cs game we were finally talking a bit about hockey and it's gonna be interesting with some stability, positive energy and internal competition coming out of the gate vs the idiotic personnel coaching and management decisions of the last couple off seasons and training camps

Really curious to see how some of our prospects look the Russians of course and what Petey looks like sounds like he's been training hard. Expecting him and Boeser to break out big time compared to last year anyway

Reactions: mossey3535

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He was, but the market was different then. The trade and free agent market has been a lot lower this summer than many (including him and his agent, I’m sure) thought it would be.

I don’t think it’ll take much to sign him on a one year deal, and he’s not only a quality player, but a quality human being, too.
I’d agree on a one year deal. I’d be leery on anything longer term though as his playing style makes injuries a real possibility as we saw last year. The guy just gives it his all every shift.

Reactions: mossey3535

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It seems like every Canuck training camp, there's more 'wishing, hoping and praying' than there are expectations. Just about everything has to go right for past Canuck teams to even hang around in the playoff race. And of course their chances were killed right out of the gate when they plummeted to the bottom of the standings..

But this edition of the Canucks just feels different. Solid in goal; more center depth than almost any team in the Western Conference; and oozing character in the room. The blueline is still a concern, but Boudreau seems to be a past master at extracting the maximum out of every player, especially his d-men.

Obviously they'll be in tough with Calgary and Edmonton; but I like their chances of third in the Pacific over L.A. and Vegas.

Good post and I agree with the blue line but BB will probably get it done in the regular season but this isn't a very well constructed team for a deep playoff run much like when Alain Vigneault was here.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Can’t freaking wait for camp to start.

Also - feeling pretty bad for Tyler Motte that he is still without a deal. There’s one guy I sure wouldn’t mind us bringing to camp / trying to sign for cheap.

Motte is the type of guy who will be hurt by the Coivid cap issues and he will get a league minimum and that's pretty much it at this point.

Who knows where/if Dickinson will fit in.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Boeser
Podkolzin - Miller - Garland
Pearson - Horvat - Hog/Kuz
??? - Lazar - Hog/Kuz

So then you have Joshua, Dickinson and even a younger guy like Lockwood competing for that last spot.
The only thing that will keep Dickinson in vancouver is his contract (for another 2 years so it will problematic) and then he will be gone and likely out of the league for the younger cheaper version.

FlowMaster

Jan 28, 2009
BC
At least Dick can play a big physical game if his career depends on it. Not a completely useless player. Although Joshua may be a better player in that role..

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
In before we invite Chiasson on a PTO and sign him to league minimum on the last day after he gets PP1 time all preseason

That is nightmare scenario stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: quat

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He scored 13 goals last year.

Yeah, I’m not going to be upset if he gets brought in at league minimum - which is what he’d get. He’s cheap depth, and was apparently great in the room last year.

We have a deep forward group, and it would take somebody having a terrible camp or injuries for him to work into a regular spot. But as a Black Ace? Not an issue, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad