Training Camp Thread III | Camp Wrap Up, Scrivens,Nikitin, Draisaitl to Bakersfield

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
If if drai dominates the ahl you'd have to think lander is gone at the deadline.

I guess I'm assuming lander is a ufa at the end of the year which I'm not sure of.

Why would you say that? The Oilers need some guys contributing that make reasonable $. Lander is one of those guys. Not to mention that we've been developing him for 6 years.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If if drai dominates the ahl you'd have to think lander is gone at the deadline.

I guess I'm assuming lander is a ufa at the end of the year which I'm not sure of.

I doubt that. They are not competing
for the same position. Drai is not a long term solution for 3C, Lander is. Drai could play on the 3rd line already, but the end of the line for him is top 6. He can play wing or C (if one of Nuge or McD is injured). No way you trade away a player like Lander just to have Drai play there for maybe one, or at the very most two seasons.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I could see...
RNH - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - Drai - Yak
Slepyshev - Lander - ????

In a few years

Or maybe they set up pairs?
???-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-???
???-Draisaitl-Yakupov

Of course, it's possible that one or two of these guys are moved though.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So ... In other news: my favorite Swedish hockey journalist covering NHL just called it ... EDM makes the playoffs, this season.

Ops

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So ... In other news: my favorite Swedish hockey journalist covering NHL just called it ... EDM makes the playoffs, this season.

Ops

The guy probably has Oilers C depth as Lander>McDavid>RNH>Letestu

and backend with Klefbom as #1D

McDeathbyCheerios*

Ops
Things can happen. Chicago is still a good team, Anaheim slightly improved and St Louis is still St Louis. All 3 are the only guarantees.

LA has an aging roster and struggled last year.

San Jose is in the same spot, lost their starting goalie and have their first new coach in years.

Calgary has an improved roster however it is still not seen if they over achieved last year or are just that good.

Dallas has an improved forward core but their d is just as bad as last year.

Vancouver didn't really get better or worse however I feel like they were the benefit of a lot of teams struggles. I see the Sedins taking a step back as well.

Minnesota is always a wild card.

Winnipeg is an interesting team. When they are on their game they are a great team but I feel like they have a lot of question marks and their geographical location gives them a hard year of travel.

Arizona is simply just bad.

Colarado just screams bubble team to me, especially with ROR gone.

Nashville has the best defense in the league but a questionable forward core. They will probably make playoffs

Then us. We are still not great but new coach and Mcdavid could push us and have us over achieved and squeek in. Anything can happen, its a long year.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Don't think they were "sold a bill of goods", is what I'm saying. ;)

I do think that they thought that turning this ship around and getting this team to buy in would be a teensy bit easier than it has been. There are lots of layers of suck and lazy in many players that needs to be chipped away.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I do think that they thought that turning this ship around and getting this team to buy in would be a teensy bit easier than it has been. There are lots of layers of suck and lazy in many players that needs to be chipped away.

I'm sure McLellan knew what he was getting into. He coached against the oilers enough.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Word is Nikitin may go back to the KHL. His contract will still count but at least he won't be taking a roster spot in the AHL..

Edit: looks like he might be staying in AHL lol nvm

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Ops

If the chemistry absolutely clicks, and Klefbom has a breakthrough season, and our goaltending doesn't implode, and injuries are only moderate...

On paper we're closer than we've ever been since 2006-07.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the chemistry absolutely clicks, and Klefbom has a breakthrough season, and our goaltending doesn't implode, and injuries are only moderate...

On paper we're closer than we've ever been since 2006-07.

imo we were still closer when we had Penner, Roloson, Souray, and Vishnovsky on the club. Lots of established talent, but we had injury problems with Horc and Hemsky I believe.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I think they ARE buying in. In todays practice interviews, most of the players weree likedned to "sponges" by other team mates. They seem to be just soaking all this new MacLellan information in right now. I have a good feeling we're going to see some progress sooner rather than later.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
IMO lander is here long term. Not a key member, but he's a good 3rd liner who's cheap. Hes a Stoll/brodziak/glenx role guy

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
I think Lander is awesome but potentially being groomed for trade bait when they determine Drai is ready to anchor the third line later in the season. Packaged with prospects could bring a veteran D on a multi year deal close to the deadline from a seller.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
imo we were still closer when we had Penner, Roloson, Souray, and Vishnovsky on the club. Lots of established talent, but we had injury problems with Horc and Hemsky I believe.

I respect that. Lots of veteran talent, without which we can't compete. But not as much high-end talent as we do now. Hopefully we're not a one-line team offensively anymore.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I think Lander is awesome but potentially being groomed for trade bait when they determine Drai is ready to anchor the third line later in the season. Packaged with prospects could bring a veteran D on a multi year deal close to the deadline from a seller.

I think Drai is going to be a victim of an eventual cap crunch with this team. They might view it smarter to use the money for him on a #1/2 defenceman. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see him added to our #1 pick if it's in the 8-15 range after this season and have Chia try to get a legit top line defenceman.

Oct 15, 2008
I think Drai is going to be a victim of an eventual cap crunch with this team. They might view it smarter to use the money for him on a #1/2 defenceman. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see him added to our #1 pick if it's in the 8-15 range after this season and have Chia try to get a legit top line defenceman.

Guys potentially buggering the cap will be Eberle, Hall, Nuge etc. Draisaitl has some built in salary protection with elc/rfa years. Those other guys will be making ufa cheese and likely one or more of them will be shuffled off to Buffalo.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I chose RNH and Eberle for my fantasy league thinking that this year finally they wont have a minus in the +- category and will have a monster year points wise, but now im getting a little worried about them screwing me over. Was wondering what some of the Oiler fans projections are for the two ......

Goals, Assists,+-,Shots,Hits,PPP,TOI just some of the things that matter.

Should i keep RNH and maybe drop Eberle in favor of Craig Smith or Brandon Pirri who i think will have a great year with Goals and SHots.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
RNH will be a big improvement as a fantasy player I would think. I have him in a league.

A lot of these are dependent on the team, and I think the team will be quite good but who really knows?

I like Eberle but I could see dropping him. It seems that a lot of the time a shoulder injury can hurt their production when they return. I don't have solid stats to back that though.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
I dropped Eberle in favor of Smith, what do you guys think about RNH this year.... I'd say he has a killer year

Expecting a big season out of Nuge this year, again looks stronger and faster then he ever has, more confident and is actually using his shot which is sneaky good.

I predict his stat line to be…

28G , 35A, 63P, -4 (only because he will be facing top competition all season), I would guess he will lead the forwards in time on ice again.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Expecting a big season out of Nuge this year, again looks stronger and faster then he ever has, more confident and is actually using his shot which is sneaky good.

I predict his stat line to be…

28G , 35A, 63P, -4 (only because he will be facing top competition all season), I would guess he will lead the forwards in time on ice again.

-4? He's -4? RNH isn't good defensively. Just look at that +/- of his. :sarcasm:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The guy probably has Oilers C depth as Lander>McDavid>RNH>Letestu

and backend with Klefbom as #1D

Actually quite the opposite, maybe that is why he is my favorite ...

Thanks for using a post to call him a naive nationalist, and in essence to call me that, since I pointed out that he is my favorite.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Actually quite the opposite, maybe that is why he is my favorite ...

Thanks for using a post to call him a naive nationalist, and in essence to call me that, since I pointed out that he is my favorite.

awesome post :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad