Training Camp Thread III | Camp Wrap Up, Scrivens,Nikitin, Draisaitl to Bakersfield

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
RE: Nurse being mad that he was sent down. Of coursae he was. He was pissed off the first time he got sent back to Jr. as well 3 years ago. He still has growing to do and will learn that in the AHL. He's pushing for a spot pretty hard right now. That's what we need to see, along with Nurse getting better.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'm very happy that Draisaitl and Nurse are playing in the AHL.

It's no secret why Detroit is so successful. You have to be REALLY good to make the team without spending time in Grand Rapids. Datsuyk and Zeterberg did it years ago. Dekeyser recently. Larkin is there now, but he likely goes down once Datsyuk and Helm come back.

Look at Tatar, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Helm, Sheahan, etc. All spent significant time in the AHL and are much better having gone through that process. Yes, Detroit drafts well, but I think its their development system that separates them from other organizations. St. Louis Cardinals in baseball too.

Nurse and Draisaitl will play a lot down there and come up when they are ready. The difference between junior and the NHL is insane! Go to an Oilers and Oil Kings game in the same weekend and it's obvious.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'm very happy that Draisaitl and Nurse are playing in the AHL.

It's no secret why Detroit is so successful. You have to be REALLY good to make the team without spending time in Grand Rapids. Datsuyk and Zeterberg did it years ago. Dekeyser recently. Larkin is there now, but he likely goes down once Datsyuk and Helm come back.

Look at Tatar, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Helm, Sheahan, etc. All spent significant time in the AHL and are much better having gone through that process. Yes, Detroit drafts well, but I think its their development system that separates them from other organizations. St. Louis Cardinals in baseball too.

Nurse and Draisaitl will play a lot down there and come up when they are ready. The difference between junior and the NHL is insane! Go to an Oilers and Oil Kings game in the same weekend and it's obvious.
Management also said for Drai at least once he is brought up they don't want him to go back. So they want him completely ready and then here to stay. No back and forth

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Management also said for Drai at least once he is brought up they don't want him to go back. So they want him completely ready and then here to stay. No back and forth

Yep. That's very refreshing to hear and exactly how it should be. That's the right way to develop players into NHLers.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yep. That's very refreshing to hear and exactly how it should be. That's the right way to develop players into NHLers.
Another thing of note they made it clear that they want Drai to have a long career here as an Oiler, he is definitely part of their long term plan and they prefer him at center. Almost sounds like when he is ready RNH might end up getting move out or switched to wing

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I thought our 5 best players overall this preaseason were:

1: Connor McDavid. Already the best player on the team. Dangerous everytime he brings the puck into the zone, and already backchecks like a seasoned pro. He could very easily put up over 70 points this season, just needs to get more confident in shooting the puck (And Hall needs to pass to him when he's open on the backdoor, don't think he's used to someone being that open all the time so he looks to shoot)

2: Justin Schultz. Where the hell did this come from? 90% of us were completely writing him off, and would have gladly taken a 2nd round pick for him. But all of a sudden he's looking like that #2/3 guy that he did in his first year. Smart with his stick, jumping at the right time, and shooting so much more.

3: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Solid preseason from Nuge. Seems bigger and stronger this year, willing to get in the dirty areas, and even has a little edge to his game. Good to see that from him, he'll be useful wearing down opposing defenceman for the trigger lines that follow his.

4: Anton Lander. Well, he made it damn obvious why he should make this hockey team. He's playing smart, playing simple hockey and it's paying off. This is the Lander we have all waited for.

5: Nail Yakupov. Still not quite playing up to his first overall pedigree, but Nail played very good hockey this preseason. Moved the puck with confidence, covered the defenceman well when they pinched, threw the body, and used his speed to create scoring chances. I think his confidence may be coming back, and if it is, he will be a dangerous player this year for us, especially if we run 3 scoring lines.

I think the team overall will be quite a lot better this year. Probably won't make the playoffs, but will be in it for a while. I think they'll start really hot though, with the excitement of Todd, Chia and McJesus.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Another thing of note they made it clear that they want Drai to have a long career here as an Oiler, he is definitely part of their long term plan and they prefer him at center. Almost sounds like when he is ready RNH might end up getting move out or switched to wing

If if drai dominates the ahl you'd have to think lander is gone at the deadline.

I guess I'm assuming lander is a ufa at the end of the year which I'm not sure of.

McDeathbyCheerios*

1: Connor McDavid. Already the best player on the team. Dangerous everytime he brings the puck into the zone, and already backchecks like a seasoned pro. He could very easily put up over 70 points this season, just needs to get more confident in shooting the puck (And Hall needs to pass to him when he's open on the backdoor, don't think he's used to someone being that open all the time so he looks to shoot)

2: Justin Schultz. Where the hell did this come from? 90% of us were completely writing him off, and would have gladly taken a 2nd round pick for him. But all of a sudden he's looking like that #2/3 guy that he did in his first year. Smart with his stick, jumping at the right time, and shooting so much more.

3: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Solid preseason from Nuge. Seems bigger and stronger this year, willing to get in the dirty areas, and even has a little edge to his game. Good to see that from him, he'll be useful wearing down opposing defenceman for the trigger lines that follow his.

4: Anton Lander. Well, he made it damn obvious why he should make this hockey team. He's playing smart, playing simple hockey and it's paying off. This is the Lander we have all waited for.

5: Nail Yakupov. Still not quite playing up to his first overall pedigree, but Nail played very good hockey this preseason. Moved the puck with confidence, covered the defenceman well when they pinched, threw the body, and used his speed to create scoring chances. I think his confidence may be coming back, and if it is, he will be a dangerous player this year for us, especially if we run 3 scoring lines.

I think the team overall will be quite a lot better this year. Probably won't make the playoffs, but will be in it for a while. I think they'll start really hot though, with the excitement of Todd, Chia and McJesus.
Agree with most but I think we will be rocky Untill mid November after a few games of Eberle back then I think we will have a bunch of wins till February and then the better teams will make a playoff push and we will get edged out and just miss playoffs.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
re: Nurse, the Oilers put a gag order on him for 24 hours after he was notified of heading to Bakersfield.
Apparently he was none too pleased about being sent down (can you blame him with Nikitin/Ference still here?).
Shows is fire at least.

Well, he should have performed better if he wanted to make the final roster that badly.

He was pretty poor in his first few games then settled down a bit but still not good enough to beat out Reinhart.
He'll likely get called up at some point during the season anyway.

I'd be more upset if I was Draisaitl especially after the Eberle injury opened up a spot. If you look at the entirety of his preseason, he performed well enough to make the final cut IMO.

Ultimately, I'm sure they will understand after the initial emotion of being sent down that this will be best for their long term success.

oilz89*

At least they aren't delusional about the state of the team. In yesterday's interview TM had a look on his face like he was thinking "What the hell did I get myself into?". And Chia looked like "Andrew Ference a captain? He can't lead a dog on a leash let alone an NHL team."

You can read minds? :help::shakehead

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'd like to see McDavid take a real run at Kurri's Oiler rookie points record. He still wouldn't win the Calder because Eichel's 42 points but solid two way game playing for Buffalo is "clearly" that much better, but I'll take what I can get.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Ference would actually a great captain if his play didn't fall off aa cliff.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If if drai dominates the ahl you'd have to think lander is gone at the deadline.

I guess I'm assuming lander is a ufa at the end of the year which I'm not sure of.

i think you end up seeing lander or letestu move to the wing if drai tears up the AHL.... or potentially even drai, but i think the team likely sees him as a long term center, so i doubt it

lander and letestu both have 2 years on their contract and are UFA in 2017-18.... move one to the wing for one year, or trade one, if drai tears up the AHL and shows he is ready for 3rd line center duty... not a problem at all really

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'd like to see McDavid take a real run at Kurri's Oiler rookie points record. He still wouldn't win the Calder because Eichel's 42 points but solid two way game playing for Buffalo is "clearly" that much better, but I'll take what I can get.

haha, you just KNOW that would happen

McDeathbyCheerios*

I could see...
RNH - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - Drai - Yak
Slepyshev - Lander - ????

In a few years

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
haha, you just KNOW that would happen

Eichel wouldn't actually have to be better defensively for 75% of the main boards to say derpy things like 'well McDavid had 30 more points but Eichel does this thing sometimes with his hip so he's soooooo much better defensively'.

If the main boards have taught me anything, it's that every winger in the NHL except Hall, Kessel, and Eberle are elite defensively. I fully expect McDavid to get the same treatment.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Eichel wouldn't actually have to be better defensively for 75% of the main boards to say derpy things like 'well McDavid had 30 more points but Eichel does this thing sometimes with his hip so he's soooooo much better defensively'.

If the main boards have taught me anything, it's that every winger in the NHL except Hall, Kessel, and Eberle are elite defensively. I fully expect McDavid to get the same treatment.

Yup. Should be fun to watch. It's already started.

Who cares. Win the Cup Oilers.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

For me its Schultz = RNH - McDavid - Slepy - Yakupov

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

What's the thing with trading Lander. Finally, they have a quality home grown centerman, who can play 2 way hockey and is only 24 years old. If he plays well, you lock him up at the low rate. If the push comes to shove and you feel comfortable in Draisatl, you move RNH for a very good d-man and roll with Macdavid, Driasatl, Lander at center.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
People commenting that T-Mac and Chia look flabbergasted at the state of the team, give it a rest.

These guys are quality professionals who know a thing or two about hockey, and have been with successful organizations, and they've seen and feasted on the Oilers for years.

Both these guys are coming in with eyes wide open, thinking they can make a difference.

Don't think they were "sold a bill of goods", is what I'm saying. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad