Training Camp Thread III | Camp Wrap Up, Scrivens,Nikitin, Draisaitl to Bakersfield

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Continued.

Around noon is when we should expect the announcement of the 23 man roster?

Davidson's already had over 200 AHL games to season...he'll be coming to a point soon where extra AHL games really aren't going to make him any better than he already is at that level.

He either is good enough to be an NHLer, or he isn't. Right now, he's right on the edge, a prototypical tweener. Which is fine, it's no slight on him. A lot of players spend their career being that.

Ference isn't big enough to do anything.. Gryba is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I've felt really good about the Oilers since all the changes have been made over the summer, not playoffs good but still good. I find that as the season approaches the old familiar sense of doom is descending upon me again. A couple of reg. Season wins would do wonders right about now. Can't wait.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Setting aside our obvious shortcomings, what have been some of the "happy surprises" that you guys have seen in the pre-season?

Mine are:

- Seemingly rejuvenated Schultz
- Slepyshev exceeding expectations
- McDavid's backchecking

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Setting aside our obvious shortcomings, what have been some of the "happy surprises" that you guys have seen in the pre-season?

Mine are probably:
-Slepyshev
-Nilsson playing as well as he has
-Anton Lander continuing where he left off last year
-Management/coaching not continuing to play players based on contract status, rather on actual skill and competence.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Mine are:

- McDavid's backchecking

- Nilson
- Nuge looks like he took a step forward
- Schultz looks to have taken a step forward

PersuasiveSteve

Hey Connor!
Mar 4, 2014
I've felt really good about the Oilers since all the changes have been made over the summer, not playoffs good but still good. I find that as the season approaches the old familiar sense of doom is descending upon me again. A couple of reg. Season wins would do wonders right about now. Can't wait.

I know everyone keep saying "As long as they do good, not playoff good, but good, I'll be content" but honestly everyone here and all Oilers fans are going to collectively **** bricks if we don't make the playoffs. We've already done better but not playoff better, we need to stay being playoff good, and if we don't people are going to be mad and frustrating.

Personally, I want to see them win, and if they compete for a playoff spot but don't make it I'm going to upset because I think it's there, I think we have enough and if we don't make it then I'm going to be frustrated and sad.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Mine are:

- McDavid's backchecking

Mine's :
- Slepyshev transiting to the NHL type of game nicely.
- Reinhart's play
- McLellan being a competent coach.
- McDavid's all around game.
- Nilsson's goaltending.

PersuasiveSteve

Hey Connor!
Mar 4, 2014
McDavid hasn't scored yet. I said it

If he had 0 goals and 100 assists this season I'd be perfectly happy.

AND it would be hilarious because TSN would do specials on it "McDavid Goal Watch: 82 games and 0 goals, did Edmonton draft another question mark?"

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Mine are:

- McDavid's backchecking

- Sleplev -- Looks like we've got an NHL player for sure and it looks as if he might actually be ready for the NHL. Huge shocker.
- Schultz hasn't been such a drag. Don't know what's up with that.
- Nuge seems to have taken another step forward. He was better last year. But this year... man... how far will he go?
- Pouliot is keeping up the good work. Everyone from every fanbase said he was way overpaid to come to Edmonton and it had me thinking that his efforts might be short lived, but thankfully that hasn't been the case.
- Reinhart still needs to get better, but that trade is making more sense the more I see him play.
- Bye bye Nikitin! :) :)
- Nice to see someone outplayed our overpaid backup to get him waived.
- Despite being our whipping boy, Yak keeps on trying. At this point I'd say he needs to be less selfish and shoot more often. Pretty much the opposite of Taylor Hall, who needs to stop being so selfish and look around at what his teammates are doing more often.
- Mcdavid's defensive awareness is a we bit better than what I was expecting.
- So happy to see Lander continue with where he left off last season.
- Sekera is good. Better than Petry. He's still not a #1 d-man, but without him we'd possibly be a bottom 3 team again.

My big complaint is that I haven't seen Hall sweat yet. I think this is going to be a huge year for him and that could be a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to his future in Edmonton.

Oct 15, 2008

Mine are:

- McDavid's backchecking

Slepyshev, Nilsson, Christoffer.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
- Sleplev -- Looks like we've got an NHL player for sure and it looks as if he might actually be ready for the NHL. Huge shocker.
- Schultz hasn't been such a drag. Don't know what's up with that.
- Nuge seems to have taken another step forward. He was better last year. But this year... man... how far will he go?
- Pouliot is keeping up the good work. Everyone from every fanbase said he was way overpaid to come to Edmonton and it had me thinking that his efforts might be short lived, but thankfully that hasn't been the case.
- Reinhart still needs to get better, but that trade is making more sense the more I see him play.
- Bye bye Nikitin! :) :)
- Nice to see someone outplayed our overpaid backup to get him waived.
- Despite being our whipping boy, Yak keeps on trying. At this point I'd say he needs to be less selfish and shoot more often. Pretty much the opposite of Taylor Hall, who needs to stop being so selfish and look around at what his teammates are doing more often.
- Mcdavid's defensive awareness is a we bit better than what I was expecting.
- So happy to see Lander continue with where he left off last season.
- Sekera is good. Better than Petry. He's still not a #1 d-man, but without him we'd possibly be a bottom 3 team again.

My big complaint is that I haven't seen Hall sweat yet. I think this is going to be a huge year for him and that could be a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to his future in Edmonton.
Agree with this completely, especially the hall comment.
Slepys play has been very surprising, and Drai also deserves to be on the team. A lot of players have shown improvement so far this year, and though it will be a rough season (especially the first 20 games, which are brutal) I think the team might even avoid the complete and total collapse like last year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Mine are probably:
-Slepyshev
-Nilsson playing as well as he has
-Anton Lander continuing where he left off last year
-Management/coaching not continuing to play players based on contract status, rather on actual skill and competence.

This is pretty close to what I think.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
- Still no top pairing Dman
- Still no #1 goalie
- Still no grit in top 6

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
- Still no #1 goalie
- Still no grit in top 6

Was this training Camp supposed to solve this? Talbot has looked good, it's his job to lose. No one was expected to be the top-pairing defenseman, it's a group that will have to work together.

And I guess, I mean the top-9 look so much better with so much better depth, that "grit" seems over blown.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
- Still no #1 goalie
- Still no grit in top 6

Sounds like you were hoping for the LA Kings. It's hard to turn a bottom 3 team into the LA Kings in preseason.

I think we saw improvement in most areas of the game and that is a win, in my mind.

Baby steps. We all just have to trust McLellan and Chiarelli.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Tokarski on waivers today too, Scrivens clears I'm pretty sure.

Anyone know if Andrew MacDonald can still play hockey, or is he done?

McDeathbyCheerios*

- Still no #1 goalie
- Still no grit in top 6
Slepy and Drai both can play with grit, so can Pouliot. You can also coach players to play gritty. Or we can just trade Eberle for Kassian and Yak for Torres. Grit op

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad