Training Camp Thread II | Oilers Cut 4 more; Nurse, Moroz, Gernat, Pakarinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So with Nikitin about to be sent down (or by some holy miracle claimed) what do we carry into opening night assuming Hendricks and Klef are good to go?

Do we keep 3 goalies and 7 d 13 f, or do we go 2 goalies with 8d or 14 f?

I'd prefer we run 2G, 8 D and keep Davidson and waive Gazdic leaving us with:

Forwards: Hall, Nuge, McDavid, Purcell, Slepy, Pouliot, Lander, Drai, Yak, Korpikoski, Hendricks, Letestu, Klinkhammer

Defence: Sekera, Fayne, Klefbom, Schultz, Gryba, Reinhart, Davidson, Ference

Goalie: Talbot, Nilsson

I doubt Scrivens gets picked up if we waive him, so if one of the goalies really struggles we can bring him up. I don't see much use in risking Davidson on waivers over Gazdic, although he probably won't be claimed anyways.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So Scrivens on waivers, still need to cut one more to get to a 23 man roster?

Candidates?

They haven't been afraid to waive players who need waivers over sending guys down who don't. So not sure the fact that Draisaitl/Slepyshev/Reinhart not needing waivers really factors into the decision at this point.

The way they've talked about Gazdic makes me think they want him as an extra forward. And at that point I guess the question is do you run with 14th forward in Klinkhammer, or an 8th D in Davidson? I wouldn't be surprisd if they were pushing hard to deal Ference, but considering his age, contract, NMC and contract I imagine that might be nearly impossible.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Candidates?

They haven't been afraid to waive players who need waivers over sending guys down who don't. So not sure the fact that Draisaitl/Slepyshev/Reinhart not needing waivers really factors into the decision at this point.

The way they've talked about Gazdic makes me think they want him as an extra forward. And at that point I guess the question is do you run with 14th forward in Klinkhammer, or an 8th D in Davidson? I wouldn't be surprisd if they were pushing hard to deal Ference, but considering his age, contract, NMC and contract I imagine that might be nearly impossible.

Its a tough call right now. The Eberle injury is playing a role right now. Do they keep Drai up or send him down. They would be sending him down if Eberle was ready to go. I think Davidson goes down, unless Klefbom is out for a while.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I think Drai should stay but should be played with faster players. Sleps should start in the AHL. Davidson makes the team.

Pouliot - RNH - Purcell
Hall - McDavid- Drai
Korpi - Lander - Yak
Hendricks - Letestu - Klink
Gazdic

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Reinhart - Davidson
Ference, Gryba

Talbot
Nilsson

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Hall-McDavid-Draisatl
Pouliot-RNH-Purcell
Slaphappy-Lander-Yakupov
Korpi-Letestube-Klink
Gazdic

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart-Gryba
Davidson-Ference

Talbot
Nilsson

Eberle LTIR, Hendricks IR for a week until they trade Ference. If they can't trade Ference, I reckon they send Davidson down anyways.

If they are truly that high on Davidson, Slepy to the A, Korpi to the third, Hendricks to the fourth.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Candidates?

I actually thought Gaz was borderline nhler last game. He made some offensive plays and had some hard hits on the forecheck.

If Gaz improve even marginally to be a regular player the team would be exponentially better.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Candidates?

Is there any way they can get rid of Ferrence with his NM clause? Other than Purcell, he is the next bad player that should be removed.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Is there any way they can get rid of Ferrence with his NM clause? Other than Purcell, he is the next bad player that should be removed.

Not sure the exact details of his NMC. Whether it's a full one or a limited one (ie he can supply a list of 10 teams he'd accept a trade to). He can't be waived to the minors though.

I just imagine the number of teams lining up to take on a 37 year old #6/7 d-man making over 3 million for the next two years is going to be nearly zero. And if there is one or two teams that would take him on, you still run into the problem of needing him to waive it. Gonna be a difficult thing to do I think.

Not that I think it's essential they move him now. I think he can play as a bottom pairing guy here. Not sure the Oilers organization agrees now.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Ference has consistently played better than Gryba in preseason.
I wouldn't agree with that. Gryba's pretty much come as advertised. Big, crease clearing stay at home bottom pair D man. Ference has been bad but he's played a lot with Nikitin which doesn't help.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't know about that.

I'd say that's largely a wash but Gryba is 6 foot 4 230+ pounds, Ference is 5'11. Given the style of game both play, take a wild guess which of the two is better able to fulfil that role of being a physical/crease clearing d-man.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Has he? Talking about Gryba of course. I haven't followed him too closely, but from what I have seen, he hasn't really done anything consisently bad. When you hear his name called in a game, it's him being a steady, stay at home player making the safe passes, using the boards etc. Not flashy, but I think he's been alright. :popcorn:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Just watched a couple post-game videos and it's clear coach has a lot of re-wiring to with this club. But he, and Taylor Hall, mentioned that they have lots of stuff they have not even covered yet in training camp. Not for lack of trying, but he obviously is rebuilding their systems from the ground up.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not sure the exact details of his NMC. Whether it's a full one or a limited one (ie he can supply a list of 10 teams he'd accept a trade to). He can't be waived to the minors though.

I just imagine the number of teams lining up to take on a 37 year old #6/7 d-man making over 3 million for the next two years is going to be nearly zero. And if there is one or two teams that would take him on, you still run into the problem of needing him to waive it. Gonna be a difficult thing to do I think.

Not that I think it's essential they move him now. I think he can play as a bottom pairing guy here. Not sure the Oilers organization agrees now.

I've said it before Chicago with Bryan Bickell is likely the only taker, and maaaaybe would get him to move his NTC if he's not stupid, a chance to play for the Cup again has to have some appeal. With Andrew I think the Oilers let this go on too long. Should have made that move a month ago before he put his kids into school for the year here.

Now he probably won't want to budge his NMC based on that.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't agree with that. Gryba's pretty much come as advertised. Big, crease clearing stay at home bottom pair D man. Ference has been bad but he's played a lot with Nikitin which doesn't help.
I've been very underwhelmed by Gryba. Not as physical as Ference which is saying something.
I don't know about that.

I'd say that's largely a wash but Gryba is 6 foot 4 230+ pounds, Ference is 5'11. Given the style of game both play, take a wild guess which of the two is better able to fulfil that role of being a physical/crease clearing d-man.
And guess which one has actually done a better job of it so far in the preseason? Gryba is underwhelming non-physical for his size.
Has he? Talking about Gryba of course. I haven't followed him too closely, but from what I have seen, he hasn't really done anything consisently bad. When you hear his name called in a game, it's him being a steady, stay at home player making the safe passes, using the boards etc. Not flashy, but I think he's been alright. :popcorn:

He doesn't give the puck away, and he makes simple plays. I like him for that. But he came advertised as a big physical crease clearing defenseman, and he simply hasn't been that. Maybe that's because it's preseason and there's no need to be overly physical, but I haven't seen much that I like from him.

And I have been very happy with Ference's play. I've seen him play much much worse.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
I still attest that Gazdig is competent enough a hockey player to not be a liability or a non-factor like some of the goons out there. He regularly makes quick, simple plays within limits without doing anything stupid or panicky.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still attest that Gazdig is competent enough a hockey player to not be a liability or a non-factor like some of the goons out there. He regularly makes quick, simple plays within limits without doing anything stupid or panicky.

Yeah agreed. Plus there's going to be stupidity happening from the opposition this year because of McDavid. It's just inevitable. We need someone who knows his role in that situation.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
A forgotten player this year was Pakaraenen I'll be interested to see how he plays in Bakersfield I really liked his game. Hopefully his luck with injuries will turn and we get to see what he brings.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Agreed with the above sentiments, I have no problem keeping Gazdik on the team to start the season. Good locker room presence too.

No need for Davidson AFAIC.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I've been very underwhelmed by Gryba. Not as physical as Ference which is saying something.

And guess which one has actually done a better job of it so far in the preseason? Gryba is underwhelming non-physical for his size.

He doesn't give the puck away, and he makes simple plays. I like him for that. But he came advertised as a big physical crease clearing defenseman, and he simply hasn't been that. Maybe that's because it's preseason and there's no need to be overly physical, but I haven't seen much that I like from him.

And I have been very happy with Ference's play. I've seen him play much much worse.

Meh. Ference was a trainwreck in that previous Vancouver game. As much as Nikitin gets crapped on, Ference was just as bad.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think Drai should stay but should be played with faster players. Sleps should start in the AHL. Davidson makes the team.

Pouliot - RNH - Purcell
Hall - McDavid- Drai
Korpi - Lander - Yak
Hendricks - Letestu - Klink
Gazdic

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Reinhart - Davidson
Ference, Gryba

Talbot
Nilsson

Slep to Bakersfeild is the nest move--more ice time more time to adjust

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ference just doesn't have it anymore. Gryba even in a "well I didn't really notice him" way is a good thing.

Ference, just off the top of my head, I remember a sequence in the home Vancouver game where Schultz whipped the puck around the boards to him and because he wasn't ready/prepared to take the pass he basically kicked the puck straight into the open slot right to a Canucks player who a point blank shot on net.

And that was in the middle of a sequence where we had turned the puck over like 4 or 5 times in rapid succession. That's part of the problem here, we need guys who will stop ugly stretches like that, not be right in the thick of it contributing more mistakes. That's where the "gong show Oilers" thing starts. One mistake turns into two, then another players decides to top it off with an even bigger brain fart.

Stuff like that ... you just can't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad