Training Camp Thread II | Oilers Cut 4 more; Nurse, Moroz, Gernat, Pakarinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There... added another name ..

There are a couple schools of thought with that, if you think Yak's playing well.

1) Yak's playing well! Bump him up to higher lines with better line mates and more ice!

2) Yak's playing well! Why **** with it?

I was in camp 1, but I'm slowly coming around to camp 2. Yak's made it abundantly clear he loves having steady line mates .

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Today's lines:

Hall-McDavid-Slepyshev
Pouliot-RNH-Purcell
Draisaitl-Lander-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks

Gazdic and Klinkhammer are rotating in.

Klefbom not on the ice again today.

According to Stauffer the Oilers had a "very difficult" practice today, with a very animated Todd McLellan.

Not really sure why Purcell is still on the RNH line. What kind of message does that send? "Oh you stunk up the joint last game but i'm still leaving you on the top line". Did McLellan not see how ineffective that line was? Yakupov and Draisaitl should be in those top 2 RW spots

McDeathbyCheerios*

Not really sure why Purcell is still on the RNH line. What kind of message does that send? "Oh you stunk up the joint last game but i'm still leaving you on the top line". Did McLellan not see how ineffective that line was? Yakupov and Draisaitl should be in those top 2 RW spots
Because it was his first full game in the pre season due to injury so they are probably giving him more then one to see how he is?

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location

Where else should he play though? Mclellan has stated a couple of times he's keeping Yak with Lander, and I agree with that sentiment. That leaves line 1 or line 2. These are the kind of things that happen when your best RWer gets hurt.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
For those following the bouncing ball with Sleps--I have been a fan of his since I saw him play two years ago--no doubt in my mind he has the extra gear that he needs at the NHL level--however--I have concern about him being tossed into the deep end too quickly. As I said awhile ago---if he was not Russian he would have gone in the first round of his first draft year

I think he's earned at least a start in the NHL though thus far (along with the Eberle injury). Whether he sticks or not (and shows well) is to be seen.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

McLellan clearly wants a balanced top 9 though. I think the lines are fine right now.. If anything swap Slepy and Drai. Purcell is dead weight no matter where he plays. At least his style is somewhat suited for RNH and Pouliot. I think he'd be even more useless with Slepy and Lander.

Edit- plus, putting our only two righties on the same line is something to be considered. I bet that goes into McLellans decision making.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Yeah - would swap Drai/Slepy. But I'm not paid the big bucks, it's McLellan's job. And unlike in Eakins case, I'm not thoroughly convinced I (or, for that matter, a mildly trained circus elephant) would do a better job.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
McLellan clearly wants a balanced top 9 though. I think the lines are fine right now.. If anything swap Slepy and Drai. Purcell is dead weight no matter where he plays. At least his style is somewhat suited for RNH and Pouliot. I think he'd be even more useless with Slepy and Lander.

Edit- plus, putting our only two righties on the same line is something to be considered. I bet that goes into McLellans decision making.

I'd imagine that a whole helluva lot more little details goes into the way McLellan does things than what is on this board.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I've seen all that I need to see :laugh:
Unless if they're showcasing him

cb812-art10.jpg

Tiny chance it might work for Purcell... but for the Ference/Nikitin pairing... may take more glitter and sparkles than exists on Earth to shine up those turds.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
cb812-art10.jpg

Tiny chance it might work for Purcell... but for the Ference/Nikitin pairing... may take more glitter and sparkles than exists on Earth to shine up those turds.

Not sure why you are using a strange looking Hershey kiss to describe Ferkitin :sarcasm:

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Yeah - would swap Drai/Slepy. But I'm not paid the big bucks, it's McLellan's job. And unlike in Eakins case, I'm not thoroughly convinced I (or, for that matter, a mildly trained circus elephant) would do a better job.

It's pretty sweet finally having a coach and GM whose judgment and knowledge are clearly so much better than your own that you're happy to just sit back and watch. :)

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
There are a couple schools of thought with that, if you think Yak's playing well.

1) Yak's playing well! Bump him up to higher lines with better line mates and more ice!

I was in camp 1, but I'm slowly coming around to camp 2. Yak's made it abundantly clear he loves having steady line mates .

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. And him and Lander seem to be starting to develop something.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Surprised I come here and don't see the Nikitin on waivers thread yet...:dunno:.....:laugh:....ok there it is.....too good. See ya Niki

McDeathbyCheerios*

The Davidson Schultz pairing might be decent. Good to see no Nikitin or Ference in the game and good to see Sekera back with Fayne.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
It's pretty sweet finally having a coach and GM whose judgment and knowledge are clearly so much better than your own that you're happy to just sit back and watch. :)

They do the obvious (waive Niki), they do the interesting (Reinhart)...

Just so weird to see. Happy, but weird.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

I liked the idea of Draisaitl / Lander / Yak from the beginning. Good mix, lesser competition.
Until Eberle went down.
The RNH line might need an offensive catalyst but ultimately I agree with you. He looks good where he is.
If it ain't broke...

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think if they actually plan on keeping Davidson up it should have been Nurse
If Nurse stays up its as a #7 or #8 which isn't where Nurse should be. Nurse is either top 6 here or ahl. Not NHL press box

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Davidson would be the #8 if he's kept up.

I can't see them keeping two extra D especially when they might go into the season with one of the three reserve spots on a goalie.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

You may want to see Nurse play regularily in the NHL because it's more interesting/exciting to have him in the lineup than Davidson, but there's no point if he's not ready. The AHL is where he should be.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Nurse didn't force his way on to the team, let him play in the AHL for half a season and re-assess how he's adapting to pro hockey from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad