GDT: Training Camp Thread 2013 Part 2 - Potter over Fistric?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Old thread close to 1000.

A few posts.

Why are we surprised? Despite what a few MSM people were saying, Ralph isn't a moron. If he planned to play Fistric opening day then he would have been skating all week with a top 5 guy.

The only benefit is that Potter is so bad that he can't possibly stay in the lineup or more than a couple games, can he?

If he has another good stretch to start the year then it's fine; the Oilers will get some points out of it.

Krueger just needs to be able to recognize when to pull the plug before it's too late.

Yakupov's twitter is hilarious. You gotta love the guys on this team, adding a character like him makes this team even more likeable. I hope we are on 24/7 at some point with this core.

Yup, we've returned from *****ing about the lockout, to almost everyone here assuming they know so much more than NHL coaches.

haha .. imagine the reaction on this board had we passed on both Yak and Murray and selected Galchenyuk 1st overall..

On a stack US team where they were scoring 5+ goals everyother game, Galchenyuk could not outscore Yakupov at WJHC. If Galchenyuk becomes the better play in future then good for him but picking him 1st overall would have been stupid.

So what is your justification for starting Potter over Fistric?

It sure as hell isn't speed like the poster you quoted is saying. Potter is one of the slowest skaters on the team.

Weird decision with Potter. Maybe Fristric feels he is not ready? I have no idea. I was looking forward to him laying out a Nuck or two...

Is it confirmed that Potter is playing ?
If he is then I am sure he proved his worth to the coaching staff ..
The guy was pretty good before he signed the extension so if the coaching staff feels that he is better than someone who the GM just traded for and someone who the fans would love to see then I am sure Potter must have performed like his pre-extension self.

It's not surprising to me that Krueger would go with a known entity in Potter for the first game. It's frustrating but it doesn't surprise me.

Offensively he was good at the start. Defensively he was not. Then his offense dried up. Now he should be behind Schultz, Petry and Whitney for puck movers. Unless he's being showcased, I don't understand why Potter would be in the lineup. He bleeds goals.

Renney is in Detroit, and loves Potter for some reason. The Wings seem to be looking for d-men, and reportedly like what they saw from Omark this season. Perhaps we can package Omark and Potter for a pick or something?

Potter started sucking in early November last year, the extension didn't come until January.

He played 12 good games and 50 terrible ones. I wouldn't count on him playing like he did in that 12 game stretch, especially since he is a career AHLer. I'd expect him to play like he did in the last 50 games, since that is the level he has played at for his whole career (hence why he was never in the NHL).

No kidding, and the other guys seem to really like him and they get along well.

Sam, Ebs, Hallsy, RNH, Schultz, and Yak all seem to be enjoying the company. Now we just need to start winning a bit and this team will be a great group of guys.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
To respond to Tyler about him asking about my justification? Ralph Kreuger is my justification. He is a professional hockey coach, I am not, you are not, therefore I trust his opinion far more then mine or yours. It's very simple.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I really hate Potter and Whitney together...but maybe Whitney will be able to carry him if he's truly healthy again.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
To respond to Tyler about him asking about my justification? Ralph Kreuger is my justification. He is a professional hockey coach, I am not, you are not, therefore I trust his opinion far more then mine or yours. It's very simple.

Renney and Quinn were professional coaches as well.

Trusting their opinions didn't work out too well for us.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Renney and Quinn were professional coaches as well.

Trusting their opinions didn't work out too well for us.

They still did better then probably any of us would. I've coached hockey before, it's not really as easy as it looks, even at low levels where it's very obvious who your best players are. And I honestly think to start questioning a coach before his first game is even played is pretty insane.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
They still did better then probably any of us would. I've coached hockey before, it's not really as easy as it looks, even at low levels where it's very obvious who your best players are. And I honestly think to start questioning a coach before his first game is even played is pretty insane.

The whole point of a hockey message board is let us voice our opinions on topics like these. None of us are qualified to coach in the NHL and none of us are qualified to play in the NHL either. That doesn't mean we aren't allowed to comment on (and criticize) players and coaches. This message board wouldn't exist if that were the case.

Kreuger has been on our coaching staff for the last two years, and those were two horribly coached years. I want to see some sort of difference to let me know that he wasn't part of the problem. This isn't a good start for him.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
The whole point of a hockey message board is let us voice our opinions on topics like these. None of us are qualified to coach in the NHL and none of us are qualified to play in the NHL either. That doesn't mean we aren't allowed to comment on (and criticize) players and coaches. This message board wouldn't exist if that were the case.

Kreuger has been on our coaching staff for the last two years, and those were two horribly coached years. I want to see some sort of difference to let me know that he wasn't part of the problem. This isn't a good start for him.

Kreugers area of coaching was where we improved drastically. He was our PK and PP coach last year. I'm not sure if you noticed, but it got way better under him.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

30th 30th 29th. It would be difficult for any of us to do worse.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Kreugers area of coaching was where we improved drastically. He was our PK and PP coach last year. I'm not sure if you noticed, but it got way better under him.

The additions of Nugent-Hopkins and Smyth as well as the progression of Eberle and Hall probably had a larger effect on our power play than anything Kreuger did. Same with the additions of Belanger, Smyth and Petrell for the penalty kill.

I'm hoping we see a lot of positive things from Kreuger this year, but he is off to a bad start. That's all I'm saying.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
The additions of Nugent-Hopkins and Smyth as well as the progression of Eberle and Hall probably had a larger effect on our power play than anything Kreuger did. Same with the additions of Belanger, Smyth and Petrell for the penalty kill.

I'm hoping we see a lot of positive things from Kreuger this year, but he is off to a bad start. That's all I'm saying.

The penalty kill may have something to do with those guys, but that powerplay was pure system work. If their progression was as great as you seem to think, they would have been killing it 5 on 5 as well.

TheGudge

Jun 25, 2007
Definitely not sober
I'll give Ralph the one game benefit of the doubt, that Fistric was still too new to the team to start Sunday. So we should come home Sunday night, get a light practice in Monday to bring everyone, including Fistric, up too speed, and I hope he play's at home against San Jose. They're a big physical team and we will need his presence over Potters. I hate to recall that Philly game where Potter kinda ducked the Flyers wanting him to answer for a hit and poor Magnus ended up gettin whacked.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
30th 30th 29th. It would be difficult for any of us to do worse.

Wow.....Your right, why do these guys get paid to coach hockey? Because the points that they had are the only showing from those three seasons, it was all on the coaching staff....I'd expect a post that ridiculous from one of the regular posters but a Mod? Come on man...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm a little sad that every other team (almost) gets to have their GDTs and beers ready for tonight, while we have to wait for tomorrow. :(

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Potter over Fistric against Vancouver of all teams? WTF Ralph?
Potter isn't as bad as some make him out to be but setting a physical tone against a team like Vancouver is really important. I was looking forward to Fistric possibly laying out a few Canucks, i'm sure he's disappointed that he's not getting an opportunity to play in this game.

Why trade for a guy like Fistric just to sit him against a bitter division rival? The strengths that Potter brings to the table aren't needed anymore with Schultz's arrival and Whitney seemingly being healthy. I know that it's just the #6 defense slot but this move is puzzling to say the least.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Wow.....Your right, why do these guys get paid to coach hockey? Because the points that they had are the only showing from those three seasons, it was all on the coaching staff....I'd expect a post that ridiculous from one of the regular posters but a Mod? Come on man...

Obviously I was exaggerating. None of us are qualified to be an NHL coach. But suggesting any criticism of a coach's decisions aren't valid because we aren't NHL coaches is silly as well, don't you think?

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Potter over Fistric against Vancouver of all teams? WTF Ralph?
Potter isn't as bad as some make him out to be but setting a physical tone against a team like Vancouver is really important. I was looking forward to Fistric possibly laying out a few Canucks, i'm sure he's disappointed that he's not getting an opportunity to play in this game.

Why trade for a guy like Fistric just to sit him against a bitter division rival? The strengths that Potter brings to the table aren't needed anymore with Schultz's arrival and Whitney seemingly being healthy. I know that it's just the #6 defense slot but this move is puzzling to say the least.

Perhaps they'll look to get Smid/Petry on the ice against the Sedin's line as much as they can, and with 2/3rds of VAN's 2nd line out maybe they prefer having Potter to generate ES offence when the Sedin's aren't on the ice?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Perhaps they'll look to get Smid/Petry on the ice against the Sedin's line as much as they can, and with 2/3rds of VAN's 2nd line out maybe they prefer having Potter to generate ES offence when the Sedin's aren't on the ice?

Potter really doesn't bring much offense ES. His calling card was the PP and he has become completely redundant with Whitney healthy and Schultz's arrival.
Maybe they're showcasing him for a trade? :dunno:

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Potter really doesn't bring much offense ES. His calling card was the PP and he has become completely redundant with Whitney healthy and Schultz's arrival.

Potter even struggled to produce on the power play last season after October.

From November 1st to the end of the season, he had 5 power play points in 53 games. Putrid production from someone on the top power play unit.

On another note, it's nice to see that refs are calling penalties so far. Maybe we will actually get some power plays this season.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I really really hope Ralph has us playing a system similar to what the Pens are playing. Up tempo and lots of pressure. Lots of forechecking which leads to mistakes.

I said it last year, but I think we have the players to play something like that. Especially with how much speed we have on the roster.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Not a good start for Ralph. Fistric is exactly what this team needs for all 48, potter is a joke

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
So if Ralph plays Potter and Potter actually does well, will we all praise him?

I'm not overly happy by playing Potter over Fistric, but remember this is a new coach and a new system. It's possible Potter fits better in it. Lets just see.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Potter isn't that bad if he is played right. The hate for potter is a Lil weird considering he started off strong. He also has been playing games in Austria.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Obviously I was exaggerating. None of us are qualified to be an NHL coach. But suggesting any criticism of a coach's decisions aren't valid because we aren't NHL coaches is silly as well, don't you think?

Yeah, it is. But I'm only mostly saying anything about it because it's the first freaking game. We don't know what is the reasoning behind this. It could be as some said, like Dallas, we hold Fistric out against very fast teams, because he has a tendency to over commit. Or it could be something as simple as Fistric isn't quite ready to go, maybe he tweaked something in practice. Or maybe, Potter has been showing up in training camp, and understands Kreugers system better then Fistric. I just think saying a coach is off to a bad start because of who he picks in the #6 defensive position is just kind of odd. It's not like he's sitting Justin Schultz for Alex Plante.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW

A trade or perhaps they're trying to see which Potter we have - the beginning of the year good Potter or the rest of the year sucky one. Then they can decide whether to keep him or Peckam?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Response to the comments in the old thread about Galchenyuk looking really good so far.

In the last draft I had Yakupov easily #1 BUT both Grigorenko AND Galchenyuk to me were fantastic picks as well. Grig would have been my #2 pick and Galy #3.

All 3 will very likely become star players in the NHL. You couldn't make a bad pick between them imo even though people were crapping on all 3 for one reason or another (poor defensive awareness, injury prone, flight risk back to Russia, no heart... and on and on).

I'm especially waiting to hear what the people are going to say about Grigorenko when so many thought he was a "dog" and didn't have what it takes at the NHL level. He's got that to chew on now and will make a lot of people eat their words.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad