GDT: Training Camp Thread 2013 Part 2 - Potter over Fistric?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
So if Ralph plays Potter and Potter actually does well, will we all praise him?

I'm not overly happy by playing Potter over Fistric, but remember this is a new coach and a new system. It's possible Potter fits better in it. Lets just see.

I wouldn't count on a 29 year old career AHLer who looked completely out of place last season becoming a decent NHL player out of nowhere.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
BC
The additions of Nugent-Hopkins and Smyth as well as the progression of Eberle and Hall probably had a larger effect on our power play than anything Kreuger did. Same with the additions of Belanger, Smyth and Petrell for the penalty kill.

I'm hoping we see a lot of positive things from Kreuger this year, but he is off to a bad start. That's all I'm saying.

How the **** is he off to "bad start", it's 24+ hours before our first game?!?

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Not sure I agree with Potter over Fistric.

Majority of us called the deal for Fistric a good to great deal for the 3rd rounder we had to give up. It had a bit of a trade deadline value to it, maybe a 4th would've been fairer value in a proper off-season.

What would any of us give up for Potter? 7th rounder, I'd say. 6th is a reach. The depth chart for our D seems like it should be obvious.

Fistric brings an element to our team that we sorely lack. Potter brings an element that we have enough of right now. Schultz is the right-handed option on the 1st PP unit. Sorry Potter. Whitney is looking to come in to this season healthier than he has been in a while. Petry's emergence last season showed he is far and away the better puck mover, and potentially PP option if injuries become an issue.

Potter is fine as a #7. But that's it.

That all being said, I'm still excited for Ralph as coach. Looking forward way more to how our forwards respond to his tactics and see what system they have. Not gonna hold a decision for the #6 defenceman spot against him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I wouldn't care if Potter has been outplaying Fistric in training camp. We need Fistric's presence against Vancouver.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Uh, before I join the collective panic attack I think I'd like to see some confirmation that Potter is starting over Fistric. Do we really know for sure yet?

I mean, I looked at this Sun article on Thursday and the quotes from Fistric and the article itself make it sound it he is 100% starting against Vancouver tomorrow.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/18/hometown-boy-mark-fistric-settles-into-familiar-role-with-edmonton-oilers

Do we have an article newer than this that suggests otherwise?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Looking at the opening rosters for every NHL team... Oilers are already leading the league... in injuries. :) Tied with Philly and the Jets with 4 each.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Uh, before I join the collective panic attack I think I'd like to see some confirmation that Potter is starting over Fistric. Do we really know for sure yet?

I mean, I looked at this Sun article on Thursday and the quotes from Fistric and the article itself make it sound it he is 100% starting against Vancouver tomorrow.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/18/hometown-boy-mark-fistric-settles-into-familiar-role-with-edmonton-oilers

Do we have an article newer than this that suggests otherwise?

Someone posted an article from the Oilers website in the last thread that said Potter appears to have won the sixth spot and will most likely play on Sunday. I'd link to it if all of the NHL's websites weren't running slowly right now (probably due to large amounts of traffic today).

I'd be elated if Fistric played on Sunday.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
The whole point of a hockey message board is let us voice our opinions on topics like these. None of us are qualified to coach in the NHL and none of us are qualified to play in the NHL either. That doesn't mean we aren't allowed to comment on (and criticize) players and coaches. This message board wouldn't exist if that were the case.

Kreuger has been on our coaching staff for the last two years, and those were two horribly coached years. I want to see some sort of difference to let me know that he wasn't part of the problem. This isn't a good start for him.

They haven't dropped the puck yet. :amazed: Relax.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Two questions. Potter over Fistric Really? Why is MPS here to rot in the press box? Could he not be better served playing a lot of minutes in the minors. I have faith in Ralph but he is already testing me.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I have a feeling that they are auditioning Hartikainen and PRV in the next few games, if they think the need more speed in the lineup they'll keep up PRV, if they need more grit they'll keep Harski. When they've made up their mind they can send someone down.

millpoo

Sep 26, 2006
ST. A
From Ireland:

Fistric out of mix?

If the drills were any indication on Saturday, defenceman Corey Potter will play against the Canucks in the third pairing with Ryan Whitney, bumping Mark Fistric to the press box.

Can't say I'm too happy to read that. Up to Potter to make me a believer.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
From Ireland:

Can't say I'm too happy to read that. Up to Potter to make me a believer.

OK, that looks like a bit more of a solid indication that Potter will be starting tomorrow night. Not 100% as we won't know that until after tomorrow's morning skate, but I'd be surprised if Fistric's starting now.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think people forget how good potter was at the beggining of the year.

I hear stuff like "he was only good on the power play", but that isnt true. He was good at all ends of the ice last year at the beggining. He eventualy fell off the pace and towards the end was average to horrible. Big guy, gritty, can skate, has experience, and a good right handed shot.

It will be up to Krueger to recognize when he starts to slip and bring in Fistric.

I think Fistric will be in the line up far more than Potter but using those two in competition with each other hopefuly makes the team better.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
As long as Potter can go out there and not injure his own teammates like he did twice last year (Whitney and Hall), I'll call that a tactical victory.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Potter deserves a chance. He played with a lot of responsibility last year, this year (at least for now) he knows he'll only get like 11 minutes.

wingnut83

Oct 1, 2011
Wow, if this the way Krugger goes tomorrow then Ben Eager will be the one and only physical presence in the line up. Let that sink in for a bit.
I am tired of watching this team get run out of the building, you bring in a guy who can help negate this and you go with the cream puff who does the same thing (only worse) as every other d-man in the line up. I would have Hordichuck in the line up as well, every game against the Wild, Canucks, flames should have Hordichuck, Eager and Fistric in the line up, period.
What a change it would be to watch the Oil maybe even initiate some physical play and let the other team know they are actually in a hockey game.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Potter over Fistric against Vancouver of all teams? WTF Ralph?
Potter isn't as bad as some make him out to be but setting a physical tone against a team like Vancouver is really important. I was looking forward to Fistric possibly laying out a few Canucks, i'm sure he's disappointed that he's not getting an opportunity to play in this game.

Why trade for a guy like Fistric just to sit him against a bitter division rival? The strengths that Potter brings to the table aren't needed anymore with Schultz's arrival and Whitney seemingly being healthy. I know that it's just the #6 defense slot but this move is puzzling to say the least.

These are my exact thoughts, especially your first sentence when I first posted that article lat night. Krueger was quoted in the Sun a few days ago by basically saying "No more Mr. Nice Guy, we want to set a physical tone, let teams know we won't be pushed around anymore and we won't be turning the other cheek (a shot at Renney IMO)". Even if Fistric hasn't picked up the defensive system just yet, he'd be calming influence in the sense d-bags like Bieksa would be less likely to take a run at any of the kids if her were to be in the lineup.

That said, the Canucks do play tonight and 98% of their team hasn't played this winter so they could be a little gassed tomorrow.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
wow.. so much freaknig out over unconfirmed benching of #6Dman & #12 forward..

Lets see what will happen when Yakupov and Schultz get into the doghouse.. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->