News Article: Training Camp Talk Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I have only watched him play for the Marlies. 4 games at the end of the regular season last year (I watched 2). He played poorly - bad defensively, poor decision making, not strong. I think that he is far behind Holl, Ozhiganov, Liljegren, Subban and Loverde on the right side when it comes to the Marlies (I think he will soon be behind Durzi, Rasanen and Hollowell as well - Wheeler placed all three ahead of him on his prospects ranking - again that is just on the right side). Pronman didn't even include him in the depth notes for his assessment of the Leafs farm system. He needs a lot of work, and needs to adjust to playing on NA ice, and I don't know how he is going to get it. He returned home rather than stick around with the Marlies for the playoffs. He wasn't going to play (Liljegren is far ahead of him), but he could have trained with the team with the other players who were extras. I don't think that he is interested in playing in the ECHL and being a call up for the Marlies.

Lindgren wont be competing for a spot on the Leafs but he is a lot better then what your assessment says.

Reactions: NCoRe

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kristen Shilton‏Verified account @kristen_shilton
FollowingFollowing @kristen_shilton
More
Nearly three weeks out from training camp, #Leafs summer skates (or whatever you want to call them) are well underway. Hyman, Brown, Leivo, Dermott, Jooris, Ozhiganov a few in attendance on this drizzly Tuesday.

DlILu_KUYAAKPHk.jpg

That's Flyers Scott Laughton skating with the Leafs. I know he's from Oakville, but is it common for such summer skates, to have players from other teams?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
More
Nearly three weeks out from training camp, #Leafs summer skates (or whatever you want to call them) are well underway. Hyman, Brown, Leivo, Dermott, Jooris, Ozhiganov a few in attendance on this drizzly Tuesday.

That's Flyers Scott Laughton skating with the Leafs. I know he's from Oakville, but is it common for such summer skates, to have players from other teams?
I think it is, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Ovechkin skating with Florida players when he was visiting Florida recently.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
More

DlILu_KUYAAKPHk.jpg

For sure, happens all the time.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I was kinda upset when we traded Matt Stajan and Ian White, but getting Dion Phaneuf was obviously a steal.

Stajan had 55 the year before, and was on pace for 61 points the year we traded him. I definitley thought we were trading someone who could have been a long-term top 6 center for us.

Thankfully, he regressed quiet hard in Calgary, only reaching 30 points once, and barely at that.

Ian White had a 38 point season that year as well. Thought he was going to be a consistent top 4 guy in the NHL, but he bounced around 4 different teams in a 3 year span and then never played in the NHL again.

Funny how things work.
White was traded three times, for a former first round pick each time, then badmouthed Bettman during the lockout and got blacklisted. His biggest problem was that he always had a slow start to the season.

Stajan was a competent, but not great, centre.

Considering what a mess Phaneuf was, I think Calgary won that deal.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
They did good, but they got bounced in the first round of the playoffs. I'm not cheering for this team while hoping for some participation medal, I want the grand prize. I expected them to make the playoffs, to exceed my expectations they would have had to win a round.

A good regular season is fun and all but at the end of the day, it doesn't mean **** if you can't win a playoff round.

But you said it would be the first time they MEET your expectations. Aside from that, you expected they would make the playoffs the year after they finished last? And take the series to 7 with most games ending in OT? Give me a break.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Wait? Are you saying that Lindgren could push for a spot on the Leafs? Because I would shocked if he even managed a decent push for an extra D position on the Marlies.

Lilly holds the record for points by a 18 yr old defenseman in the Ahl history. The thing is he fully harnesses his offensive game and concentrated fully on fefensive development.

That kind of modesty usually generates a great prospect that knows his place.

Guaranteed they want him to continue working his game out with Keefe this season. Keefe will amp up his minutes and responsibilities and geow his game and confidence this season.

I wouldn't be astonished if he kicks it up enough to get a call up for injury or reward a couple or few months on to the Ahl season.

This kid is a special talent and very smart apparently.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Lilly holds the record for points by a 18 yr old defenseman in the Ahl history. The thing is he fully harnesses his offensive game and concentrated fully on fefensive development.

That kind of modesty usually generates a great prospect that knows his place.

Guaranteed they want him to continue working his game out with Keefe this season. Keefe will amp up his minutes and responsibilities and geow his game and confidence this season.

I wouldn't be astonished if he kicks it up enough to get a call up for injury or reward a couple or few months on to the Ahl season.

This kid is a special talent and very smart apparently.

I was talking about Leafs' RHD prospect Lindgren, not Liljegren.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
White was traded three times, for a former first round pick each time, then badmouthed Bettman during the lockout and got blacklisted. His biggest problem was that he always had a slow start to the season.

Stajan was a competent, but not great, centre.

Considering what a mess Phaneuf was, I think Calgary won that deal.
Phaneuf was not a mess, the awful contract that Nonis gave him was one.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
@shaner89 is this a shout out to you? :laugh:

“I would say I [was], but I can’t lie. It’s in the archives,” Jooris said with a smile Tuesday after a summer skate at MasterCard Centre. “I’ve been honest before when I was on other teams. I was a [Red] Wings fan growing up. I had a bunch of buddies and a cousin who were diehard Leafs fans, lot of family and friends [who are], but unfortunately I was born into a Red Wings family. My dad was a big Wings fan.”
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/jooris-eyes-depth-role-with-maple-leafs-1.1160858

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Phaneuf was not a mess, the awful contract that Nonis gave him was one.
Not Phaneuf personally, but the whole situation. He is a 3-4 defenceman, and not only did Burke pay too much for him, and try to make him a #1, but made him captain as well.
Not Phaneuf's fault, but Burke's.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not Phaneuf personally, but the whole situation. He is a 3-4 defenceman, and not only did Burke pay too much for him, and try to make him a #1, but made him captain as well.
Not Phaneuf's fault, but Burke's.
Paid too much?
Agreed he never should have been made Captain, but the deal was a steal.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I love September for some reason!! Just so exciting.... All the anticipation, and this is the first year I think the team could actually meet or exceed expectations.

What a time to be a Leaf fan!

Pool closing just booked means one step closer.
Labour Day/back to school is the next milestone.

Tough time of year I find.
Hate summer ending but love fall starting.

NFL pre-season games have started. This means we are getting close to the start of the hockey season. At least there will be something worthwhile to watch again.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
NFL pre-season games have started. This means we are getting close to the start of the hockey season. At least there will be something worthwhile to watch again.
As large of an NFL as I am, pre-season doesn't do it for me.
The quality of the game and the players involved is worse than the NHL exhibition games, which is a tough feat.

September 9th when the Steelers dummy the Browns will be the final fall milestone for me.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
But you said it would be the first time they MEET your expectations. Aside from that, you expected they would make the playoffs the year after they finished last? And take the series to 7 with most games ending in OT? Give me a break.

No, I didn't expect all that. I expected more.

I'm not going to lower my expectations just because they blew a season and came in last. That has no bearing on my expectations the following year. I expect them to win every year. This is a professional sport with professional athletes, I expect them to win. If you have a terrible performance at work, does your boss expect you to start coming in and only be less terrible? No, your boss expects your top performance and for you to achieve all the goals set out for you.

There are also other expectations than expecting them to win. I expected a much better defensive play last year, and people are expecting them to struggle defensively this year. I think Zaitsev will bounce back, Rielly will continue his trajectory, and Dermott, Rosen or Borgman will come in and be solid contributors. I think they'll exceed people's expectations defensively this year as they didn't come close to meeting expectations in previous years.

I will consider excuses for under-performing but I will not lower my expectations.

Reactions: dsred

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
As large of an NFL as I am, pre-season doesn't do it for me.
The quality of the game and the players involved is worse than the NHL exhibition games, which is a tough feat.

September 9th when the Steelers dummy the Browns will be the final fall milestone for me.

Oh, I agree. NFL pre-season games are nothing like regular season games unfortunately. For me though, its a sign that the football and hockey sports seasons are close at hand and the sports doldrums are about to end.

Reactions: ACC1224

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
More

DlILu_KUYAAKPHk.jpg

Good to hear Ozhiganov is in town! I’m really intrigued by him, and hoping he cracks our bottom pair! Will be a dog fight between him, Rosen, Carrick, Borgman, Holl and Liljegren. As good as Dermott was for us last season, he’ll need to have a strong camp to beat out the competition too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce